UKC

Driving around West/North Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 03 Jan 2017
I'm thinking of relocating to West Yorkshire, probably Saltaire where I've lived before and thought was great. I don't think much to Baildon Bank, but Shipley Glen is f*cking brilliant.

Anyway, by job would most likely involve driving around the nicer/posher/more full of old people towns of North and West Yorks, e.g. Ilkley, Skipton, Harrogate, maybe Huddersfield, Leeds too. They'd probably try to get me to go to Scarborough too, but I would be negotiating that shit out of the contract before signing anything. Would driving around at rush hour round these parts lead inevitably to a nervous breakdown? I really don't like queuing in traffic. In summer evenings I would often be driving from work to the nearest crag, so that wouldn't be so bad.

Or is Saltaire just about the worst location for this type of work - where would you live if you had to get to those towns for a 9-5 job? Only 4x per week, includes weekends, so bearable, maybe?
 Bulls Crack 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Saltaire gets really bunged-up at rushour - as does a lot of the A657 but you'll know that? Going North probably not so bad but getting to and from Hudds at those times would be depressing.

Addingham?
 Offwidth 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Depends on that balance. I also hate queues but loved the grit enough to help extensively on the guidebooks from a Brighouse base. You certainly learn which traffic junctions or sections or locations to avoid (like Saltaire!). One spring/summer trick would be drive early to the nearest crag to work and go to work from there.

I was in two minds about posting since you dissed Baildon (again).. you clearly need to look at it in a different way... maybe consider the possibilities for highball escapable route sections.
 lummox 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

from Saltaire, the Aire Valley Trunk Road for access to Skipton and Harrogate shouldn't result in a breakdown. In my experience, trying to drive into Leeds or to Hudds at rush hour really won't do much for your health.
Removed User 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I have to agree with you about Baildon Bank, and I was born in Saltaire, but whats wrong with living in Baildon itself? You can use all of the back roads to get to the northern towns and "The Glen" is only 5 mins away.
 jkarran 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Do you have to drive every day for work? Rail links might be worth consideration.
jk
OP Jon Stewart 03 Jan 2017
In reply to jkarran:

I used rail up there a couple of years back and it was disastrous. Being late for work is not OK when you have a fully booked clinic to get through!

In reply to all:

Just had an email saying they've not got a lot of work in the region (which will be due to Bradford Uni churning out 130+ optoms per year and all of them staying at home when they qualify).

Might think about moving closer to the Lakes, Kendal perhaps. Yorkshire/Lancs grit bouldering still accessible, Wales a bit further...
 1poundSOCKS 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I'm thinking of relocating to West Yorkshire

Nice one, I'll be looking for belayers for Kilnsey in the summer, when I'm a full time climber again.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Will certainly be in touch. I've got to go to the Dark Side sooner or later (but it might be Chapel Head if there's no work round your way). That said, Kendal - Kilnsey's a nice drive too.
 jkarran 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I used rail up there a couple of years back and it was disastrous. Being late for work is not OK when you have a fully booked clinic to get through!

Hmm, fair point when there's no flexibility in your schedule. Same goes for the roads though presumably, you'll still need to build in quite a buffer in the morning to make some of those trips reliably?

Thankfully neither transport unreliability or work inflexibility are problems I have.
jk
 1poundSOCKS 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> but it might be Chapel Head if there's no work round your way

Be up for that too. Went once, but I was ill so I just belayed. Quality crag by the looks.
 Dave 88 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'd probably live around Skipton way. Good access to some decent local crags, the Dales are stunning and nice for walking, plus the lakes is just around the corner. Easy access to motorways to get up and down both sides of the country (Peak district, north wales, Scotland). Leeds for big shops etc, manchester not too far for an airport, and the roads around skipton (A59) never seem to bad. Housing is generally cheaper than around harrogate/York/ripon where prices can get a bit "southern". But of course you know all this from living in Saltaire!

York will be a disaster to drive in and out of at any time of day. Harrogate is pretty bad in rush hour. Contrary to what others have said, I don't find leeds traffic too bad, there's plenty of large roads in and out as well as around the city.

Don't negotiate too hard to ditch the Scarborough work, the roads out across the Moors are beautiful and it's not far from Whitby for fish and chips, plus you can chuck a bouldering mat in the car and experience the delights of NYM cragging on your way home!

I moved up this way (Northallerton) 4 years ago with work and I love it.
In reply to Dave 88:

Cheers for all that. The work seems to be in short supply round there, so I'm thinking of the Lakes at the moment. This relocation thing is partly because I'm really bored with the Peak, but mainly just to get at least 50 miles away from my current boss, who is a massive f*cking bitch!
 Dave 88 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Well funnily enough we're looking to move to the lakes for similar reasons! I want Penrith area, the mrs wants cockermouth area. We'll probably compromise and end up in cockermouth.

Good luck wherever you end up. You can't really go wrong with either of those areas and even if you don't move, you still get to live in Sheffield. Wins all around!
 BnB 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

N Yorks is not too bad for driving around. But Huddersfield and Bradford traffic will suck the life out of you. Even navigating little places like Mytholmroyd and Mirfield will test your will to live. On the other hand I find Sheffield traffic far worse than Leeds so your perspective may be different.

I'd be very wary how far your patch extends.

Lakes would be nice but I found the social life and career opportunities limited when I lived there briefly.
OP Jon Stewart 04 Jan 2017
In reply to BnB:

Cheers, I've pretty much decided on Kendal - I've already found some job opportunities, whereas Yorkshire's saturated with optoms because of Bradford uni. I should get a resident position rather than life on the road up there - and as for the social life, I'm not bothered! Climbing wall more important - if I want a night out, culture and whatnot, I'll see my mates in Manchester.
 BnB 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Kendal and surrounds are very pleasant. Excellent access to Dales sport/trad as well as Lakes. Many excellent restaurants and country pubs. There's always Kendal Calling for a weekend of oblivion and Preston/Lancaster/Manchester not far away. Good luck.
OP Jon Stewart 04 Jan 2017
In reply to BnB:

Cheers. Kendal's the same distance (or closer) as Sheffield from many of the places I drive to at the mo - N Wales, Yorkshire Grit for winter bouldering, etc. And I'd much rather have the Lakes than the Peak on my doorstep. Feels like an easy decision now!
 Dax H 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I live in Leeds and travel to all the places you mentioned very regular.
I find that as long as I leave Leeds by 7 I can be in Skipton, Shipley or Huddersfield by 8 easy.
But set off at 0715 and its a nightmare.
I think it would be worse coming the other way in to Leeds as most of the traffic I see is heading to the city as I am heading out.
I would maybe think of Leeds if I was you though.
Bradford, Ilkley, Otley, Harrogate, Huddersfield and Skipton all easy to get to.
Climbing you have Almscliff and caley on the doorstep, Ilkley quarry, peak district only 45 mins away, Brimham rocks within 1 hour plus loads of other places I can't remember off the top of my head.
Leeds wall, the depot, city block etc for indoor stuff.
Removed User 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Cowling, just below Earl Crag... I know a good house for sale or rent there too!

I travel in all directions from there to work, the worst bit is from Bingley to the M606 when going south at rush hour from anywhere in the area! Other directions don't tend to be too bad compared to other places that I've lived.
Rigid Raider 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Am I the only reader to have realised that here is a thread about choosing a place to live that's the least affected by traffic? Can others remember how, even 25 years ago, it was possible to jump in the car on a Friday night and shoot off to Wales, the Lakes or even Scotland to climb, walk, ski or mountain bike and be reasonably sure of having the time to stop for a pint on the way and still be there by 11 pm? You'd be absolutely mad to contemplate that now, especially if your route involved major traffic hotspots like the M6 in Cheshire or the M60 past Leeds.
Post edited at 09:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...