UKC

Broad Cairn & Cairn Bannoch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 03 Jan 2017
Hi,

I've got a few more free days and noticed I haven't been up Broad Cairn or Bannoch so was hoping to do both. Has anyone been up recently? Is it worth taking a mountain bike along loch muick or even higher up? I'm fairly fit on a bike.

Is there much snow up there at the moment?

Lynsey.
 Jim Braid 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Lynsety:

Haven't been up that way for around a couple of weeks so can't comment on current conditions. The SAIS blogs
http://scairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/ will give you a feel for the current conditions in the area. Webcam at Glen Shee ski area can also give you a feel for conditions but doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

I normally take the bike at least as far as Glas Allt Shiel but sometimes go right to the end of the loch. Well worth using a bike.

I once saw a couple of guys on mountain bikes on the far side of Broad Cairn heading for Cairn Bannoch - beyond my comfort zone and abilities. One looked as if he was up for it the other seemed to realise he'd made a mistake. They may have come up from Bachnagairn.

I may be up Carn of Claise on Thursday and if you want an update on conditions just say.
OP Lynsety 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Jim Braid:

Hi,

Okay thanks. That would be great if you make it up there. Keeping an eye on the weather but most likely day I can go is Friday.

Cheers

Lynsey.
 DannyC 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Lynsety:

Hi,

It seems to be very changeable at the moment, with winter coming and going by the day. I was up there running just before Christmas but if I was walking, I'd probably bike the Loch Muick bit. That section is a scenic but long-ish slog.

You can always lock your bike to a tree at the bridge if, as I'd expect, it's too snowy for cycling further on up the (horrible, ugly...) 4x4 track.

Have fun.

D.
drmarten 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Lynsety:

I was up that way today, or 5 miles SW on the hills to the east of Glenshee. The visibility was very good and snow cover is minimal at the moment. The ground is frozen and bone dry. Crampons/axe carried but not used. At the moment I'd place a large bet on your route being straightforward with the rider that things change quickly in winter.
Have a good one.

tspoon1981 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Lynsety:

I was up Dubh Loch on Monday. You'll get the bike to the far end of Loch Muick, and probably higher up if you're going up the South side of the Loch and up. If you're going up via Dubh Loch then just chain your bike up at Glas Alt Shiel.

Dubh Loch on Monday in the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO1mAPGgMFQ/
 Jim Braid 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Lynsety:

Just back from a walk up Carn an Tuirc - next to Carn of Claise. Very very little snow. The lightest of dustings above 2,000' and some firm to hard old snow patches. Ground was frozen from car park up. Took ice axe and crampons but didn't need them. Sort of day when microspikes could be handy for frozen paths lowdown. Cycle up to Glas Allt Shiel should be straightforward. Can't stop myself saying watch out for icy patches. I know, I know.

Unchanged from SAIS blog of 4 January would be a fair summary.

Also in line with drmarten comments but less snow than shown in tspoon 1981 photo of Dubh Loch on Monday.

Enjoy your day.
 Mike-W-99 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Lynsety:

Its also possible to go in from Glen Clova on the track that goes to Bachnagairn. Its looked cycleable the couple of times I've been along it but does have a burn crossing.
Or do it as a loop going back through Glen Doll (no bike needed then)
OP Lynsety 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Jim Braid:

That's great, thank you very much. Very useful info

Thank you to everyone that's replied. Will take a wander up tomorrow all being well.

Lynsey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...