UKC

Tarentaise valley area ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Coles 03 Jan 2017
Hello
I'm doing a ski season at Espace Killy in a futile attempt to learn to ski better. I'm really keen on doing some valley ice to break up the days and get away from the hoards. Can anyone offer info on potential routes or point me in the direction of places to look.

I know Chamonix valley, Eccrins, and cogne are reasonably close but still 4 hours so more local spots would be good.

Also if your local and want to hook up give me a shout. I'll be at the wall in tignes a couple of evenings a week training.
 minty1984 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Adam Coles:

Hi Adam

I am doing a season in Espace killy too!...

I believe there are a few ice climbing routes in the val d'isere area? Not sure on exact details as I don't do winter climbing but I am sure a google search will bring something up. I am sure there is a purpose built ice climbing area over that way also.

A friend of mine called Simon Perry is on this forum and he has been ice climbing this season so if you can track him down through UKC he could probably help you out more?

Good luck and maybe see you at the indoor wall sometime
 Pay Attention 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Adam Coles:

From memory, there is a 60 metre pillar in the woods between Val d’Isere and Tignes, best approached from the top, although it involves some bushwhacking. If it’s in you can see it from one of the lower Tignes chairlifts. The tree at the top does have a chain around the trunk which you can abseil off. Top tip: if you are going to abseil off the tree make sure you have a prussik loop with you.

If it’s cold enough then there may be ice climbing routes by the paravalanche.

If ski touring is your bag, the Leisse valley behind Tignes is a worth while excursion away from the crowds. Return via Col de la Pisse
OP Adam Coles 22 Jan 2017
In reply to minty1984:
Thanks for your replies! Thought I should add some more info for other readers.

http://montagnedepassion.com/topo-2/topo-cascade-de-glace has a good google maps layer for pointing out potential ice lines in the area.

We have been climbing in Tignes Breviers today on some good ice up towards the dam. Lots of potential for other lines as the season progresses. Double bolt lower offs and some bolted dry tooling lines too. Eyed up the approach to a good pillar in the opposite direction from the dam. Follow the right side of the river after the small lac till the path fords the river. Obvious pillar of ice just up from there. Yet to be done.

Minty if you wana hook up for some off piste and touring drop me an email. Or if I could tag along with you at the wall sometimes let me know when you plan to be there.
I'm keen to meet other people to get in the back country with. Got good back country gear and practicing with transceiver lots. Been to a Henry's Avalanche talk and esf transceiver training. Have good mountain sense through climbing. Not the greatest skier hence doing a season here in the first place so keen to learn. Also anyone else reading this in the area keen to hook up for ice climbing and ski touring get in touch!
Colesy3743 at hotmail.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...