UKC

TV Audio

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 06 Jan 2017
I'm aware that many modern televisions have quite poor sound quality. Also, with age, I now have to wear hearing aids. The Mrs' hearing is also not what it used to be.

I spoke to my audiologist and she agreed that even hearing aids do not really help with the quality of tv sound and the best option was, maybe, a soundbar.

We duly splashed out for one( a Bose) but are currently less than impressed. I am not saying there is necessarily a problem with the soundbar so much as the way the sounds in some programmes are "made". Last night we watched a drama(Unforgotten) and found that there seemed to be a lot of distortion thus rendering the sound bar ineffective. Conversely, when we watch a documentary(sans background noise/music) or a news/current affairs programme there seems to be very little problem. This is especially noticeable with good, well trained speakers and news readers who seem particularly adept at clear speech.

Does anyone know of a solution please?
 john arran 06 Jan 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Your soundbar may have preset EQ settings you can choose between, for Voice, Music, etc. If so, different settings are likely to work much better with different programmes.
OP mypyrex 06 Jan 2017
In reply to john arran:

Thanks. Can you explain what EQ is?
 jkarran 06 Jan 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

You could try messing with the equaliser settings on the tv and or the speaker, they usually at least have a crude 3-way eq adjustment with treble and bass sliders or some preset modes. Doubt it'll make much difference but then I don't have hearing aids... worth a shot. In general though, the problem you've identified with tv drama using soundtracks muddied with background noise and music is not one technology at the point of delivery can do much about. Failing that, turn it up, subtitles or maybe try an induction loop if your hearing aids support it.
jk
OP mypyrex 06 Jan 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> Failing that, turn it up, subtitles

We got the soundbar because we were fed up with subtitles always being out of sync, garbled etc.
 john arran 06 Jan 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Thanks. Can you explain what EQ is?

It's a common abbreviation for sound equalising control, so will allow you to adjust base and treble levels, but usually there will be some pre-set options for typical situations that saves you having to know what combination of adjustments is likely to be best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...