UKC

Kitchen refit - Sheffield recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Time for a new kitchen. We need a resolution to the Artex on the walls, new floor laying, units fitting (we'll probably buy off the shelf) - including electrics and plumbing for repositioning of appliances.

Any recommendations for people or outfits that can do any or all of it, based in Sheffield.

Thanks.
 Timmd 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):
I only know somebody who does handmade wooden kitchens.

I gather that depending on how long you're going to be in the house, it probably is worth going for wood (if you like wood that is) in the long term due to how the edges and corners of the kitchen can get knocked over the years, which makes wood characterful compared to scuffed looking for the off the shelf kind.

I'll ask him if he knows of anybody who can do the job for you, he's one of those people who knows people...
Post edited at 13:06
In reply to Timmd:

Appreciate it.
 Chris the Tall 07 Jan 2017

Ours was made and fitted by Kitchen World on Queens Road in Heeley - just behind Halfords. Still going strong after 20 years and they were even able to get some matching extra doors recently
 Dax H 07 Jan 2017

Just had mine done by a company called MLS, based in Manchester but have a fitting team in Sheffield.
Avoid.
In reply to Dax H:

Worth knowing, thanks.

I'll check out Kitchen World.
 Timmd 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> Ours was made and fitted by Kitchen World on Queens Road in Heeley - just behind Halfords. Still going strong after 20 years and they were even able to get some matching extra doors recently

Were they starting to look scuffed?
Post edited at 17:02
Jim C 07 Jan 2017
Fitting a kitchen is pretty easy even for me as a DIY type, get some really good quality carcasses , and in a few years change the doors if you are going to stay in that home a long time and get bored.

The work tops can be tricky to get a professional join, as they are best clamped together from below, and edges prepped using a router and a jig make this easy/ easier but may be too costly to buy the equipment, so maybe get a pro to fit those, but if you pick a neutral work top you can later just change the doors to get a new look in 5 - 10 years or whenever you get bored.
Then you just need a screwdriver to get a whole new( and much cheaper 'new' kitchen.

EditI agree real wood ages better than other finishes, and if you don't get bored easy, will get more 'characterful' with wear and tear, but cost more)
Post edited at 18:01
In reply to Jim C:

Agree with what you say. There's so much needs doing I suspect it might be best done as a 'package' rather than trying to slot in with what I can do, with the other trades.
 browndog33 08 Jan 2017

I can help.

Text me on 07929 453 615.

Mark Brown, joiner, 23 yrs exp.
 Big Ger 08 Jan 2017

When I move back in 1 years time, I'm gutting and redoing the whole of my house.

This will include a new kitchen, can someone give me a rough idea of how much a kitchen costs these days?

A bit of a broad ask I know!
Lusk 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Anywhere between £1000 and £30000, depending on how flash you want to be and how much you do yourself.
Make sure you get a decent/proper Electrician, kitchen fitters are notorious for shit electrics.

I'd recommend granite worktops, expensive, but they go the distance.
 Big Ger 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:
Many thanks mate. I would hope to get it in at £5000 or thereabouts.

Wouldn't do any of the work myself as I'm completely incompetent at that (most) sorts of work.

I have a mate in the village who is a self employed sparkie, and he'd do me mates rates, so that's all good.
Post edited at 00:44

Oddly enough, I spend rather too much time removing kitchen fitting spam as moderator on another forum...
 Chris the Tall 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Were they starting to look scuffed?

No, we got 2 extra doors - one for a new dishwasher, the other was a unit to fit where the washing machine went before we had the cellar done. All the existing units have aged remarkably well for pine - not pristine, but certainly not looking battered or tatty. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Thinking about it - they have aged too well - after 20 years it's time for a rethink of the kitchen layout - I want a bigger hob with a wok ring. But I can justify ripping out perfectly good units 😀

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...