/ Wanted: Dashstein Hat

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
NigeR on 07 Jan 2017 - user since 06/Jul/14
Hi

I'm looking for a Daschstein Hat - ideally merle grey.

Needs to be in good condition.

Fair price paid depending on condition. Can pay by PayPal or bank transfer.
JayPee630 - on 07 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Never seen a hat, mitts yes, be interested in one too!
NigeR on 07 Jan 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

> Never seen a hat, mitts yes, be interested in one too!

Had one many years ago, warmest hat I've ever worn. I've got a Daschstein sweater, which is seriously good too.
In reply to NigeR:
Where did you get the sweater from? I looked at one ages ago, from the US I think, and it was a fortune. Although think you can get ex-Austrian army ones sometimes on eBay.
Post edited at 15:29
NigeR on 07 Jan 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

> Where did you get the sweater from? I looked at one ages ago, from the US I think, and it was a fortune. Although think you can get ex-Austrian army ones sometimes on eBay.

There are 2 importers in the states - Bradley Alpine is one - and yes they are about 300 quid. But if you can get hold of an Austrian Alpine Corp 'Guide' daschstein sweater, they are exactly the same thing, and can be found occasionally in almost as new condition (they're as tough as old boots, so age really well anyway) for around 50 quid.

They're different from today's modern gear, and weigh almost 4lb - or the equivalent of a dead sheep if soaked through. But they are seriously warm, windproof, stay warm even when wet, breath superbly and even covered in snow and ice stay warm (it's basically a big daschstein mitt for the body).

Certainly an interesting alternative for winter mountaineering, and stylishly retro
In reply to NigeR:
I might have to keep my eye open for one. And if you find a hat to match, shout up on here! ;-)
Post edited at 15:47
abcdef - on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:
surely that would have to be the itchiest bit of headgear it would be possible to wear
Post edited at 09:43
Guy Hurst - on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:

One of the possum fur and merino wool beanies sold on the Ray Mears site would be a good substitute. Probably a better choice, in fact, in that they're comfortable, fairly light, extremely warm, quite cheap (about 20), suitably retro looking and easily available.
NigeR on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to abcdef:

> surely that would have to be the itchiest bit of headgear it would be possible to wear

I've never found that. Just the other day I was wearing just my daschstein sweater next to my skin, and there was no itchyness at all.
NigeR on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Guy Hurst:

> One of the possum fur and merino wool beanies sold on the Ray Mears site would be a good substitute. Probably a better choice, in fact, in that they're comfortable, fairly light, extremely warm, quite cheap (about 20), suitably retro looking and easily available.

I'm after a daschstein hat because I don't like wearing a hood - unless it becomes critical for survival - even in foul weather. I find a really warm windproof hat combined with a thermal neck gaiter if it gets a bit lairy works best for me, and the daschstein is the warmest hat I've ever worn.

I might well have to end up biting the bullet and getting one from Bradley Alpine in the states for $70
Orange - on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:

https://www.amazon.com/Dachstein-Woolwear-Austrian-Boiled-Alpine/dp/B013RM2Z9Q

$60 here and free shipping- which should make a fair difference from America.
NigeR on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Orange:

> $60 here and free shipping- which should make a fair difference from America.

Thanks.

Unfortunately it doesn't ship to the UK.
Orange - on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:
Ah, didn't spot that. 'Pologies. It almost seems worthwhile learning to felt your own at the prices these go for! Are they really so superior to something like a Lowe mountain cap?
Post edited at 16:42
John W on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Dachstein

JW
winhill - on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:

> $60 here and free shipping- which should make a fair difference from America.

> Thanks.

> Unfortunately it doesn't ship to the UK.

The same company is on ebay, $18 to ship to the UK, plus charges of course.

Martin Bennett - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to John W:

> Dachstein

> JW

I'm glad you put that right John. Pronounced Dak-shtine. It makes me a sad pedantic b*stard I know, but it had been annoying me all the way through the discussion, in which, incidentally, I was quite interested. Never go anywhere in Winter without Dachstein mitts in bottom of sack just in case so was intrigued to know that they do other garments too.
NigeR on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to John W:

> Dachstein

> JW

Thanks for the correction
Wullie - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Hi Nige, I was looking for a hat like this too a few years back. Dunno if I would take the chance with Bradley Alpinist. I got stung. It may have been a genuine misunderstanding or unlucky experience (although I have my doubts) but the end result was I paid my money out and got nothing in return. I have copy and pasted my previous forum post from November 2013 below. :-

After a cold December 2012, I decided that I would purchase a Dachstein wool hat. After a lengthy search on the web, the main outlet that was coming up was an American climbing website called "Bradley Alpinist". It appeared that these hats were out of stock when I ordered, I was assured by email that they would be in stock in the coming months. I was offered a refund at this point, which I declined in good faith(fully expecting the order to be honoured). As I'm sure most people are aware you can claim money back thru paypal for situations like this for up to 90 days. Sadly my 90 day security blanket has been reached and breached by quite some way. Numerous unanswered emails and phone calls later I have now given up. Hat ordered December 2012 and still no hat! It was only 30 odd quid but some jumpers on this site are hundreds of pounds!
Buyers beware!!!!
Hat Dude on 10 Jan 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Knit (or get somebody to knit) a merino wool hat that is much too big for you then wash it at 50C, it'll end up like Dachstein texture and not be itchy.

I appreciate getting the correct size may be a bit hit and miss but as a guideline if you use a scale based on the difference between an average four year old and a slightly portly 5' 10" adult you should get somewhere close.

I know this because of what happened to a nice expensive merino jumper I once had.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.