UKC

Spend my money for me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 08 Jan 2017
In a year's time I will be retiring.

I have a small super fund, which I got from working for one year back in 2003, which now has about $10,000 in it (about £5,900.00 at the current exchange rate.) The missus, god bless her, has said I can spend this on my "retirement camera". I'd prefer to stick with Canon gear as I'm well used to it.

So, you have £5,900.00 to spend on Canon gear, what body and lenses (wide angle & telephoto/walkabout,) would you buy?

Over to you.
 Jon Read 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

What sort of pictures do you want to take?

You could blow that on one very long lens if you are into wildlife shots (but then you'd also need the body, portable hide, rucksac. waders. camo gear and wrap for lens, and someone to carry it all for you)
 icnoble 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I have always had a dslr my last being a Nikon D800 plus the 24-70, 70-200, and a 300mm lens. I enjoy a variety of photography including landscape and portrait work, mainly studio based. I am now 62, and about 3 years ago I found that lugging all this stuff around was getting tiresome so I came to the decision to sell the lot snd buy into the Fuji X system, and I have never regretted that decision. I have just upgraded from the XT 1 to the XT 2. The build quality of the camera and lensed is superb, and the image quality of the lenses is outstanding.

It might be worth considering mirrorless.
Removed User 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I might be tempted by a 5DSR, while keeping the 5D3 you already have.
17mm Tilt Shift.
The rest would go to Easyjet.
OP Big Ger 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Thanks guys.

In reply to Jon Read:

Mainly landscapes and seascapes, with a small amount of birding on the side.

In reply to Biped:

I was thinking the 5DIII may serve as a timelapse unit, as I wouldn't be concerned over large numbers of shutter actuations on it.
 Jon Read 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
> Mainly landscapes and seascapes, with a small amount of birding on the side.

TSE24ii, 70-200 2.8, 1.4x extender, latest 5d, and whatever you can afford on a long birding lens.

Edit: in my very humble opinion. of course!
Post edited at 10:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...