UKC

Mirrorless camera recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 08 Jan 2017
Have now decided that the Panasonic GH5 is definitely not for me.... have been looking very favourably at the Fujifilm X-T2 with 16-55 2.8 lens.
Anyone any thoughts?
Also what would a Sony/Panasonic (not GH5) equivalent be in the smallish size with good video capabilities category be? Am not fussed about 4k. Would prefer a lower resolution with higher frame rate.
Thanks
In reply to Indy:

Love my XT-1 and would gladly kill for an XT-2.

16-55 2.8 looks a good starter as better in low light than my 18-135; I would miss the reach though.

Experimenting with 16 and 56 primes and most recently been finding I prefer the closeness of 56; if only it was WR ;((
 thlcr1 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

Take a look at the Panasonic GX80. Love mine. Think Panasonic are doing a fairly generous cash back deal on it at the moment as well. If that's still a bit too bulky for you look around and see if anybody has got the now discontinued GM5 which is really really small.

Lee
 icnoble 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:
Having used a Nikon DSLR for many years, the D800 being the last Nikon camera I owned I changed to mirrorless and bought a fuji XT 1 and loved it. The main reason for the change was that I wanted something smaller with very good image quality and the Fuji fitted the bill. The main issue with it was the autofocus speed which couldn't match the D800. This has been well documented as a weakness of the camera especially if you shoot sports. Regarding the Fuji X series lenses, collectively they are the best I have owned, the 56mm F1.2 is the best lens I have ever owned and is great for portrait work. The standard 18-55 kit lens is also very good. The camera is a joy to use.

However I have just upgraded it to the XT 2 and am expecting it tomorrow.

I will report my first impressions later in the week.
Post edited at 20:48
 Si Withington 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:
Olly OMD EM5 II

No brainer. Check it out.
Post edited at 22:08
 Robert Durran 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-t10-kit-xf18-55mm-lens-refurbished.ht...

No Brainer when in stock (or X-T1/2 if weatherproofing important or wallet allows)

OP Indy 09 Jan 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Thanks would be very interested in your thoughts. Will be popping into town later to have a play with one. Also want get some advice on the possibility of swapping out the standard kit lens with the 16-55 2.8. Have increasingly found that dealers refuse to do these non-standard type deals. Also not too sure about weight and size of that combo.
OP Indy 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Si Withington:

The OMD seems to suffer spec wise being nearly 2 years old.

d_b 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

Hasselblad X1D. Slightly more expensive than some of the others, but it has the best sensor by a country mile.
OP Indy 09 Jan 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Hasselblad X1D. Slightly more expensive than some of the others

Just a touch!

..... and no video
 AlanLittle 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

The 18-55 is small, light and stabilised, all pluses over the 16-55 for climbing use
OP Indy 09 Jan 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Size and weight is a big plus of the 18-55 but it's hard not to like features of the 16-55.
Need to hold both of them.
 ChrisJD 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

If you are in that price/performance bracket, down to Fuji X-T2 versus the new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II ?

The Fuji is a much nicer looking camera though
 Only a hill 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

I'm a happy Fujifilm X-T1 user. You can't go wrong with the X-T2 in my opinion.
OP Indy 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Only a hill:

Thanks..... went into have a look at one and it turns out that they are rarer than hens teeth. Anyway after seeing the 16-55 2.8 realised that it would be too big/heavy for the wife (part of the reason for this this purchase is for it to be a family camera) so plumped for the standard lens. Can't say I'd have chosen lens stabilisation over weatherproofing but Fuji seems to thinking paring a non-weather proof lens with a weather proof camera a good way to go ;(

Its currently sat on my desk charging. Not sure how much time I'm going to get to play with it before the weekend but we'll see. So far so good.
OP Indy 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

Actually just been thinking..... generally speaking is it better to get 2x64gb cards or 1x128gb
In reply to Indy:
As someone who has had more than one sd card corrupted ..... One card, corrupted, possibly no photos recoverable. Two cards, one corrupted, at least half your photos, recoverable.
 ChrisJD 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

A 64GB card in the X-T2 will hold 2,495 RAW images (that's its prediction when empty).

I went for 1x 64 GB 280MBs card and put an older lower spec 32GB in the second slot.
 jethro kiernan 09 Jan 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

Did you get an XT-2?
Nice,
 Only a hill 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

Lack of weather proofing is one of the main reasons I no longer use the 18-55 (that and I've always just preferred primes over zooms!) It is a great lens, though, with very good image quality.
 Robert Durran 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Only a hill:

> Lack of weather proofing is one of the main reasons I no longer use the 18-55 (that and I've always just preferred primes over zooms!) It is a great lens, though, with very good image quality.

Please would you lot stop making me envious and giving me expensive thoughts of upgrading everything!
 malk 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

i wouldn't base your decision on so called weather proofness (i lost my old e-m5 to the sea when picking lugworms as the the tide came in- the lens wasn't sealed but i doubt would have made much difference)
nevertheless you don't need to spend - i got another e-m5 + 12-50 for 150(used)+120(new)=£270 - a splash-resistant bargain!
 Robert Durran 10 Jan 2017
In reply to malk:

> i wouldn't base your decision on so called weather proofness (i lost my old e-m5 to the sea when picking lugworms as the the tide came in- the lens wasn't sealed but i doubt would have made much difference)

But, having got an X-T10, I just sometimes think weatherproofing would be great and peace of mind in bad weather. Obviously not waterproof though (thinking of getting a waterproof compact for kayaking and maybe really vile weather).
OP Indy 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Only a hill:

Any advice on an ultra-wide?

Fuji has a cash back offer till the end of the month and XF10-24mm looks good.... but am unsure.
 stp 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

Often a more important decision in choosing a camera is deciding what lenses you intend to buy with it - not necessarily immediately but think about in the future. That's because lenses are more expensive than camera bodies (certainly when you have several), they also tend to last much longer and rarely get outdated by changing technologies.

When you've figured that out hopefully one system or another will become an obvious choice. Then it's just down to which model you prefer.
 Robert Durran 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

> Fuji has a cash back offer till the end of the month and XF10-24mm looks good.... but am unsure.

I have one. I think it is fabulous for big landscapes. Just as good as my 18-55 which everyone seems to agree is great.

OP Indy 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Was a bit disappointed with the 'wideness' of the 18-55mm so got the 10-24mm yesterday after reading some reviews. So far so happy.

Was also disappointed though not surprised to see that the hand grip with batteries was £420..... or am I getting mean in my old age?
 Only a hill 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

Sorry for the late reply – only just logged back in!

I have no personal experience with the 10-24, but I've heard great things about it. At the wide end I currently use a Samyang 12mm f/2, which is good and inexpensive (although it's manual-only), and the original XF18mm (which is better than many online reviews make out, but nothing particularly special). I'm sure you'll get on well with the 10-24!
 PPP 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

> The OMD seems to suffer spec wise being nearly 2 years old.

What's so 2 years old for the OM-D E-M5 II?
 nickwhimster 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Indy:

Hi

I've got the Fuji Xpro-1 and think it's great. I use the fuji 18mm which is as someone else said better than it's given credit for. I also have the samyang 12mm which for it's price is brilliant as long as you make sure you focus it properly.

I hear the fuji 16mm is stunning and it's weather sealed.

I'm also thinking about the x-t2 but not sure if I want to get one of the Sony alpha full frame cameras as they should be able to record a higher dynamic range.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...