UKC

Receiving German TV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 09 Jan 2017
So, my missus has asked me to sort out getting German satellite TV as she's a Germ and wants to watch the classic films they show. I had a colleague who had German TV about 10 years ago and he had to point his dish at a different satellite. We have a dish which has 2x co-ax cables coming from it to our lounge and we currently receive Freeview.
What do I need to do?
 yorkshireman 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

I'm in France and we have one dish pointed at UK Freeview (28.2E I think) and another dish pointed at 19.2E for French TV. You need to have a decoder card for French TV (I'm not sure why they think anyone in their right mind would want to steal French TV).

However if we use a standard non-digital set top box pointing at 19,2E (as opposed to a TNT box with decoder card), then we pick up a load of free German channels (including Eurosport). You might want to try this - it might work with your existing freesat box if you play with the settings.

We have the luxury of two dishes but you can get any extra LNB and offset it (don't know how, you'll have to Google). Either that, or you'll have to continuously move it around.
 krikoman 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

> So, my missus has asked me to sort out getting German satellite TV as she's a Germ and wants to watch the classic films they show. I had a colleague who had German TV about 10 years ago and he had to point his dish at a different satellite. We have a dish which has 2x co-ax cables coming from it to our lounge and we currently receive Freeview.

> What do I need to do?

You need another dish, it's not the receiving head but the direction of satellite and therefore the signals you'll receive you need to worry about.
 felt 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

I love classic British sitcoms overdubbed in German.

'Guten Morgen, Mrs Hall.'
'Guten Morgen, James.'

usw.
 jimtitt 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

German TV comes over Astra satellites which are 19.2E so you´ ll probably need a second dish, only real hassle is it´ s going to be pretty low on the horizon so you need to check you can get line of sight. From the middle of England it´ s about 27° elevation and 157 ° azimuth. The exact values you can find in a satellite finder on the internet.
De-coder card isn´ t required.
The old films are still old!!!!
 Mike Mead 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

One dish with two LNBs pointing at the two sats as above. Find the Astra footprint online, and get a bigger dish if on the edge. A bit fiddly, but not rocket science to set up yourself.
 webbo 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:
I would wait for high pressure as at these times German Television is all we get on our TV.
 Mark Edwards 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Kodi with one of international stations plugins?

http://addonhq.com/best-german-kodi-addons/
In reply to Mark Edwards:

Have just had my router crash and not recover from reboot after visiting that website.

Coincidence...? Hmmm....
 Big Ger 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

VPN and watch online?
OP Toerag 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll see what I can do
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Coincidence...? Hmmm....

It seems so: Talk Talk network went down over much of the UK last night. Don't recall any advance warning of scheduled maintenance, and haven't received confirmation from them that it did (which would be nice, to allay fears that the router has been attacked).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...