UKC

A question about down jackets without hoods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 09 Jan 2017
Hello all,

slightly random question but I'm hoping someone can help. Can you tell me if a down jacket without a hood has any sort of bungee cord in the collar, of the sort that you get in the hood rim of a hooded down jacket?

I'm about to remove the hood of a slightly mangled ME Vega jacket to 'hoodless jacket' height, but before I do so could do to know whether I need to include a sleeve for cord.

Thanks in advance
 Scott K 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not sure if this helps but I have a PHD jacket without the hood and there is no cord round the collar. Perhaps it's in case it gets caught. The be honest, the collar is pretty snug.
OP Tall Clare 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Scott K:

That's a good point about snugness - I don't want it to be flappy. There's an intact Vega in the house so I might compare with that before cutting it off...
 angry pirate 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

My old lightline jacket doesn't have a neck bungee but then it has a pretty short collar with press studs to attach a hood.
I've got a primaloft smock that has no neck drawcord either and that is snug enough not to need one. I think it depends on how tall/close fitting the collar will be and whether you think you want adjustable tightness.
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have a Rab fleece with a bungee in the neck. It's snug enough without it though so I never use it, but I expect a puffy jacket would be a bit looser cut.
 Fraser 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

My Mk. 1 Alpkit Filo is hoodless and there's no cord as described. It's simply the down & cut of the fabric that retains the upstand collar shape.
OP Tall Clare 09 Jan 2017

Thanks all. I was brave and made the necessary cuts (cue feathers everywhere!) It seems it'll stand up and be snug without. Now for the small matter of binding the raw edge... if anyone's interested, making bias binding out of discarded hood fabric is a bit of a faff, it turns out...
Post edited at 20:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...