UKC

24mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 10 Jan 2017

Or 15mm equiv in dslr aps-c format
In the olden days of 35mm film 24mm was the widest you could get (or at least afford) and was great for mountain landscapes and getting feel of exposure with a climber in the foreground. I loved my Ricoh GR 35mm compact which had a fixed 24mm lens for the same reasons. New ultra wide zooms e.g. 10-20mm (aps-c) are very tempting for my dslr having seen many of the wild images out there, but are heavy and bulky on my nice and small Pentax K-S2 body and I'm agonising between getting one or a nice compact and light Pentax pancake 15mm (24mm 35mm equiv) prime. Main benefit of the prime is being more likely to take it on a climb, ski tour, less faffing in choosing a zoom setting, built in retractable lens-hood and arguably optical quality. Downside is lack of versatility. Not much price difference the two.

What are people's thoughts and opinions?
Post edited at 21:37
 Dan Arkle 10 Jan 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

Unlike with landscape or people photos, in the mountains, you often can't just step forward or back to change perspective. I like zooms.
 thlcr1 10 Jan 2017

The Pentax 15 is certainly much smaller and lighter than the UW zooms. However for optical quality it might be worth checking some of the online reviews. Doesn't seem to have quite the quality you might expect of a prime. Also not really wide enough to class as UW.

Lee
 Adam Long 11 Jan 2017

The Ricoh GR had a 28mm lens.
In reply to Adam Long:
As yes of course it did, the principal still applies 'though
In reply to thlcr1:

What does class as an ultra wide, and what use is it apart from those novelty shots you often see in conjunction with over use of HDR and the saturation slider? A better and more accurate way of getting a very wide panorama is a 50mm prime on a tripod with manual exposure and stitch several images together.
 jethro kiernan 22 Jan 2017
Totally agree, a 50mm prime in the horizontal at F8 will give a massive quality panoramic
 Fraser 22 Jan 2017

> What does class as an ultra wide, and what use is it apart from those novelty shots you often see in conjunction with over use of HDR and the saturation slider?

I rarely use my ultra wide (11-16 Tokina f/2.8 on a crop sensor) for wide landscapes, it's more often to get in really close on a subject but include plenty of context. Also they're great in confined spaces, such as interior architecture where stitching just wouldn't work as well.
 thlcr1 23 Jan 2017

> What does class as an ultra wide, and what use is it apart from those novelty shots you often see in conjunction with over use of HDR and the saturation slider? A better and more accurate way of getting a very wide panorama is a 50mm prime on a tripod with manual exposure and stitch several images together.

No idea what actually constitutes a UWA to be honest maybe 12mm on crop frame but it's just an arbitrary definition really. As for what use are they, thought you were considering getting one? I actually quite like some of those type of shots. Just that possibly likes yourself, I've been put off getting one due to size and weight.

I think stitching photos can be an excellent way of achieving wide shots, and i use it quite a lot. However it can also be difficult to predict your results as you can't see what your final picture will be like until your back home and working on the computer. Bit late then if you've got it wrong. Think i'd also start with something a bit wider than a 50mm. On crop frame it's practically a short telephoto. Would require a large number of shots in both the vertical and horizontal planes, to get a truly wide angle result.

Despite my remarks about the Pentax 15, I was actually quite tempted to try one, still would if I had the chance to get one at a reasonable price. Just trying to sound a note of caution about Prime's always being better optical quality. They usually are of course, and may be in this instance but its not always quite that simple.

Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...