/ Optimistic Snowdonia skiing this weekend (14th Jan)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Mr-Cowdrey on 10 Jan 2017
Hi all,

Maybe a little bit optimistic but I'm looking at heading up to Snowdonia from Somerset this weekend for some skiing/climbing.

Plan is to drive up Friday night (M5-M6-M56-A55) and head to either Ogwen Valley or Pen Y Pass. Main objective is to ski (gullies/headwalls) but this is all conditions dependent (avi risk etc)

Failing skiing, then I'll be up for taking the skis for a walk and doing some climbing upto grade III/IV (it's been a while since getting the axes out!)

Heading back south late Sunday afternoon (possibly earlier if conditions turn out to be rubbish)

Does any one fancy joining me? I can pick up on route off the motorways and have plenty of space for kit (i have an estate). I will warn you though that no accommodation is booked so bivi bag and sleeping bag it is or I might be kind and let you sleep in the car.

First pint on me as an incentive!

Cheers,

Chris
Lusk - on 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I think you'll be better off just bringing your wellies!
Mr-Cowdrey on 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Possibly, but I'm keeping fingers crossed! I'll make my decision last minute, Friday morning probably.
wynaptomos - on 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
Looking at the weather forecast, seems that the Brecon Beacons may be a much better bet for snow after tomorrow.
ianstevens - on 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

The turf/groundwater is still very warm and is not going to drop by 4 *C in three days, unless we get the same weather they've been "treated" to in Finland. Fingers crossed on enough of a snow dump for skiing!
Ron Rees Davies - on 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Not sure why anyone would 'dislike' your spot on comment about conditions - there was still NO snow on the mountains today, and although the air temperature was noticeably colder (but still well above zero at 600m, and only just below at 850m), turf is still at 2C even at 850m in idwal so the prolonged sub-zero freeze necessary for routes to be ready for climbing won't have happened by the weekend, no matter what happens tomorrow.
Misha - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:
I'm not so sure. Little snow + cold (and it's forecast to get colder) is good for the turf. I've climbed in good mixed conditions on Clogwyn Ddu after fairly short cold snaps. Will be keeping an eye on the Idwal temperature report...
ianstevens - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies and Misha:
No idea why people would dislike it. Presumably because "pessimistic" assessments of winter conditions are incredibly unpopular, even when grounded in ~5 years experience and realism?

Misha - the sort of routes I gather you do (aka, hard) are less susceptible to the turf IMO, as I gather at that sort of grade they tend to be more rock based? I could be wrong on this though... My thoughts are more with the crowd who want to climb gullies and see a bit of snow as the sign they're in, when they aren't as nothing underneath is solid (i.e. if any snow appears today/tomorrow).
Post edited at 08:31
Misha - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
The Welsh mixed routes still rely on turf in most cases and you really don't want to be pulling on unfrozen turf when it's steep and you actually have to pull on it! As you say, there are a few which are mostly rock based.

I always tell people to stay out of gullies until there's bees a freeze thaw. At best, wading in powder is unpleasant and can damage vegetation depending on how much snow there is. At worst, the Gully can avalanche...
Lusk - on 12 Jan 2017
ianstevens - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:
> The Welsh mixed routes still rely on turf in most cases and you really don't want to be pulling on unfrozen turf when it's steep and you actually have to pull on it! As you say, there are a few which are mostly rock based.

> I always tell people to stay out of gullies until there's bees a freeze thaw. At best, wading in powder is unpleasant and can damage vegetation depending on how much snow there is. At worst, the Gully can avalanche...

Fair enough, I thought they were generally turf-free. Every day is a school day!

Agreed on your second point. However it seems to me that people always take this the wrong way, thinking you're out to spoil their fun rather than trying preventing to prevent them from a premature demise.

Fingers crossed some proper conditons come our way soon!

Edited for shite grammar
Post edited at 16:00
Mr-Cowdrey on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

All good points I think I might take the gamble and head up on Friday night.

If I do, then I might go for a snowy scramble up the Cneifion Arete and skin/walk across the Glyders to Y Garn. Or Crib Goch, I'll just see when I'm there.
kevin stephens - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
Skiing now seems to be less likely?
Misha - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
Turf temperature reading seems to be stuck now, presumably insulated by snow as the air temp is -4! For various reasons, not going to Scotland this weekend but will head up high eg Cwm Cneifion and report back for the record. At this rate, may well need to pick something that doesn't rely on turf but there are options for that.
Mr-Cowdrey on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

It does a bit. We shall see what tomorrow brings!
mountainpenguin on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

well its looking worse this morning.
The covering from yesterday has obviously been stripped back a bit over night. There is far more black than there was yesterday!
Quite a lot of what fell was hail rather than snow too. The Berwyns or Moelwyns *might* have fared better
Misha - on 14 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Very warm on the walk in but Clogwyn Ddu was mint today, fully rimed up, ice on the icy routes and turf frozen. The BMC thermometer undereggs it!
Mr-Cowdrey on 14 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

I ended up in the Brecon Beacons instead! But if conditiins improve in 2 weeks time then I'll be up in North Wales
Lusk - on 11:21 Fri
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
I know where I'd like to be today!

http://snowdon.webcam/archive/snowdon1-20170120-111002-06aa7a-500.jpg

(not skiing, obviously )
Post edited at 11:24
thetorbs - on 11:53 Fri
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Hi, was staying in Ogwen area on 16th. not a bit of snow in gullies or high up! all melted!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.