UKC

Patagonia Houdini vs Arcteryx Squamish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ElBarto 11 Jan 2017
Hello,

I wanted to hear from anyone who has used both of these and how you think they compare? In my mind the Squamish would be more breathable & the Houdini more water resistant?

I do own the Arcteryx Squamish & wear it while running and given how hot I generally get when active I've found it great but have no experience of the Houdini.
 BnB 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

I cross-shopped the two and found the Squamish a MUCH better fit for a slim Jim like me. I hate elastic cuffs!!
 galpinos 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

I'm not sure what you're actually after. They are both (assuming your are talking of the standard Houdini, not the Alpine Houdini*) nylon with a DWR coating so I imagine "breathability" will be similar for both.

I have the Squamish. I think it is excellent. Great cut, features and the fabric doesn't have that slick sweaty feel that I got with my old pertex winshirt. I imagine the Houdini would have a similar feel to pertex. I run hot so can still overwhelm it but it dries quickly. I managed to cut the sleeve with a ski edge but the ripstop prevented it from getting too far. The added bonus is they are often on sale when the colours change so they can be found for non-wallet busting prices (for a windshirt) most years.

* The Alpine Houdini is actually a lightweight waterproof made of the Patagucci H2NO fabric so will be more water resistant/proof but less breathable.
 leon 1 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:
Had both and would not get another Houdini.
Squamish has a much better hood, fit, cuffs and general feel to it. More expensive but ultimately worth it.
Post edited at 10:13
 sean1 12 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

Hello,
I have the Patagonia Alpine Houdini. It is light and packs up small. It is fairly waterproof for shorter periods of rain and is good as a windproof. It is NOT very breathable to the point that if you are doing any biking, walking etc. you will sweat inside considerably. I now use this jacket more of an emergency/light jacket on short trips for a few showers or wind because of it's lack of breathability. Can't speak for the Arc Teryx but it sounds more breathable. My wife has the Marmot Essence Jacket and she swears by it for breathability and weatherproofness.
 Damo 12 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

I've tried both, and as aboves have said, the fit is quite different. The Houdini is boxier, shorter arms, narrower shoulders. The Squamish is trimmer athletic fit, longer arms, a more matte finish so less slick than the Houdini. Good hood, fits over helmet. I'd agree the Houdini seems a little more showerproof than the Squamish, but I've never worn them in actual rain. Blowing mist and drizzle the Squamish does surprisingly well.

The Alpine Houdini is even more slick to touch, feels more waterproof, less breathable and fits slightly bigger/different than the regular Houdini. It's not unlike a 1970s raincoat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...