UKC

Retro climbing kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
For all those gnarly old fashioned climbers out there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Natural-Hemp-Cord-Ropes/dp/B01GL2CUF8/ref=sr_1...

I wonder how many lead falls it can take ?

How on earth do they get away with climbing in the description ?

TWS
 wercat 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Tree - climbing?

I must admit I couldn't see any endorsements from Mr Whymper
Moley 12 Jan 2017

After a day climbing they cut a bit off the end and smoked it, just had to remember the rope got shorter over the week!
 gethin_allen 12 Jan 2017

They can't even decide what it's made of; 100% hemp, Jute, sisal? and its only 6 mm.

You can buy it with the optional scissors should you want to re-enact 'touching the void'
Rigid Raider 12 Jan 2017

Before the Whillans harness (I still have mine along with my PAs) we used to use hemp waistlines, which was something like 5 mm and wound many times round the waist then tied, to which the main ex-WD steel carabiner would be clipped. Hemp was thought to be preferable to nylon because in holding a slipping rope round your waist, you could melt right through a nylon waistline.
 Siward 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

https://www.thehempshop.co.uk/organic-hemp-rope.html

up to 60mm diameter which ought to be stout enough
 steveriley 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

You know you're getting on a bit when your old gear is hung up on the shop ceiling in Outside as an example of quaint antiquity
 Oceanrower 12 Jan 2017
In reply to An Exiled Northerner:

If I were to climb on that, it'd be more like "touching cloth"!
 Duncan Bourne 13 Jan 2017

May be of use as a prop in a documentry about epic climbing disasters.
Rigid Raider 13 Jan 2017

My memory of life as a schoolboy and a young mountaineer (did the Dubh ridge in a thunderstorm aged fourteen; the Gap was interesting in pouring rain in Spanish fellwaking boots) was of being almost constantly damp. At school we went out in all weather in duffel coats and brogues and often came back soaked. I remember often shivering in damp clothes and sitting on radiators trying to dry out. We climbed in cord britches, canvas cags and oilskin cycling capes with sou'westers. Probably around 1970 somebody called Peter Storm introduced a revolutionary proofed nylon cagoule, we bought some for a camping and climbing holiday in Skye but Blacks didn't have them in stock so had to mail them up post restante to a PO near our campsite. We soon discovered that thanks to the cagoule being waterproof you ended up as wet inside as out with condensation. . I also remember digging a snowhole on a Tulloch Mountaincraft winter course, getting soaked then getting into my sleeping bag soaked, in the mistaken belief that I would dry out. Instead my sleeping bag turned to wet toilet paper and I had a freezing night. On a two-week camping trip to Killarney I discovered that you slept much better if you folded a towel and lay on it to insulate you from the ground. I used to dread rain, whereas nowadays with modern kit it's just an annoyance. It's amazing how kit has improved.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...