UKC

REVIEW: Chasing the Ephemeral by Simon Richardson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Jan 2017
Chasing the Ephemeral montage, 4 kbChasing the Ephemeral by Scottish winter new route guru Simon Richardson is a guidebook with a difference. We think it's an instant classic, and probably unique. Others clearly agree, and two site users have sent us reviews of the book. We've combined them here.

Read more
 3leggeddog 13 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:
Without a doubt the book is great, we'll written and inspirational. Well done Simon.

I am disappointed in the format of the book, softback ed and the size of a "modern" guidebook. I think if it were a little larger, with a hard cover it really would be what it ought to be, a modern Cold Climbs. Comparing it with my other Xmas climbing book, physically ills scafell tome, it looks a bit temporary.

I would have happily paid more for this format.

All that said, nice one Simon.
Post edited at 15:36
 gavmac 13 Jan 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Excellent, quite excellent book. The genius of it is how it makes you think about route choice.

I tend to agree regards format. The hardbook, coffee table type design would have been a real winner. The publisher would no doubt have been torn on the usually conundrum of print run and costs, format, RRP etc. Never easy.

Nevertheless, it's a brilliant piece of work. This will be a classic.
 angry pirate 13 Jan 2017

I would agree with the reviews except it just made me feel miserable stuck at home with the family all over Christmas
 Tricadam 13 Jan 2017
In reply to gavmac:

Looking forward to the second edition, coffee table style!

We've been incredibly fortunate to have two stunning Scottish winter books in three years: The Great Mountain Crags of Scotland and now this.
 Michael Gordon 15 Jan 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

>
> I am disappointed in the format of the book, softback ed and the size of a "modern" guidebook. I think if it were a little larger, with a hard cover it really would be what it ought to be, a modern Cold Climbs. Comparing it with my other Xmas climbing book, physically ills scafell tome, it looks a bit temporary.

> I would have happily paid more for this format.
>

Agreed, paperback and slightly on the small side are my only criticisms really.
 last ascent 18 Jan 2017

I wonder how he reconciles a love for Scottish winter with a career in the oil industry, given that if the oil industry continues unchecked there might not be any Scottish winter before too long.
 Rob Parsons 18 Jan 2017
In reply to last ascent:

> I wonder how he reconciles a love for Scottish winter with a career in the oil industry, given that if the oil industry continues unchecked there might not be any Scottish winter before too long.

We're all equally complicit in that. I assume you take the occasional trip by something which uses a motor? Heat your house in some way? Etc. etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...