UKC

The Modern History of Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
youtube.com/watch?v=2WG-uEND74E&

This afternoon, I watched this conversation between the former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis and Noam Chomsky.

It gives a fascinating insight into the history and workings of the EU and it's connection to America. I reckon both Brexit leavers and remainers will find arguments within the conversation that favour their beliefs. Varoufakis is by no means anti-EU, but exposes some of the shadier sides of EU negotiations. He also provides some incredible insight into the elite of Europe and the ideology of the global financial controllers. Actually, some of the things he says are jaw-dropping and truly exposes the lunacy of global financial policies, that crush the poor and line the pockets of the super rich.

It can only be hoped that through the power of the internet and the opportunity it gives to everyone to hear from people like this, that people will become more involved in politics and start to understand what is truly going on in this world, This will force those in charge of the purse strings to change the world to a much fairer system, which can be done through the power of the vote, instead of the power of the gun as we are told.

As Noam Chomsky states when he quotes David Hulme, "Power is in the hands of the people if they don't consent", which could actually be the real positive about the Brexit vote, despite the pain that it will cause.

It's quite long at about an hour and a half, but truly fascinating for those interested in this sort of stuff.
In reply to Hugh J:
Does this quote have some relevance to the last one in your post?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw. Posters edit "or woman"
Post edited at 19:41
In reply to Hugh J:

> As Noam Chomsky states when he quotes David Hulme, "Power is in the hands of the people if they don't consent", which could actually be the real positive about the Brexit vote, despite the pain that it will cause.

David Hume perhaps? Quite confusing because there does seem to be a David Hulme floating around in the modern era.

In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> Does this quote have some relevance to the last one in your post?

> "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw. Posters edit "or woman"

I hadn't heard that before, but i quite like it and can see it's pertinence. I'm gonna have to think on it a while to get my head around it's full significance. I'll get back to you.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Yes, quite right, sorry!

Not the modern academic.
Post edited at 19:57
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
> "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw.

It seems to me that the "unreasonable man" has been ruling the world for centuries. As Varoufakis points out, last century it led to the unsustainable growth of the 1920's, the 1929 Wall Street crash and subsequent fall into fascism and war. As I would also agree with him, we are now seeing the exactly same instances come to pass through some of the same bankrupt philosophies of capitalism, unsustainable growth through 1980 to 2007 (with a few ups and downs), the 2008 financial crisis and now we are seeing the rise of fascism again.

However, the difference in the modern world, especially with the invention of the world wide web, it is now possible for everyone who cares to, to find other points of view and make their own decisions. I am now nearly 50 and I can say that I never experienced this level of available information at any time in my life. I mean, here I am communicating with all sorts of people, who admittedly share a common interest, but I can communicate with just about anyone in the world, as they can with me. This is a key difference, as the masses cannot be fully hoodwinked as they were in the past, reasonable people can see through the schemes of the"unreasonable man". We also have the prior experiences of the horrors of the 1930's and 40's a draw on a lesson.

Surely it is time for the "reasonable man" to take control. Indeed, I think that the "reasonable" man must take control or else we will see war that could make WWI & WWII look like minor skirmishes.

Finally, whilst I think that GBS is quite correct in his first sentence, I don't see why it follows that the second sentence must be true. The "reasonable man" can lead progress. As a species, we need to learn we are not separate from this planet or the living life on it. If we do not learn to use our intelligence to become a part of this ecosystem (and not apart from it), it will surely spit us out along with millions of other species. But life will survive, it has done on several previous ocassions. The "unreasonable man" cannot or does not want to see this.
Post edited at 20:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...