UKC

Carriers for babies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomasadixon 14 Jan 2017
We're getting one of those rucksacks for carrying a baby, and there seems to be a big difference in price between ones for short distances and ones for long.

Anyone know why some are only okay for short distances, or have any recommendations? We will want to be going decent distances, a few hours most likely.

Thanks, Tom
 maxsmith 14 Jan 2017
In reply to thomasadixon:

Just get something second hand, got an ancient vaude one for 20 quid which has been fine for day hikes in lakes/ n Wales.
S3.K1 14 Jan 2017

I carried the baby with a sling and a cybex to go, this was nice and light.
 angry pirate 14 Jan 2017

I used a few (all donated) and they were much of a muchness. That said, I did use a vaude one with #1 son and it was very comfy for long days.
 Pyreneenemec 14 Jan 2017

We bought a Deuter Kid Comfort 2 second hand for our grand-son. . A great piece of kit. Baby is very snug with good protection against wind and rain. In all honesty, we only carried him for a maximum of 1 hour in it so I've no idea how knackered you'd be after a whole day.
 Nordie_matt 14 Jan 2017
I have previously owned a little life (Kid #1) and a Deuter (Kid #2) and found the Deuter to be far superior. It ended up replacing the pram in everyday use and was more than comfortable on the hill. It was often used for trips of up to 8 hours and due to the seating/harness arrangement for the littleun there were never any comfort issues from them. Have never used the more lightweight options, so cannot comment on how those fare.
 George Fisher 14 Jan 2017

We paid £25 for a used Macpac one. It was great from about 9/10 months up until 30/36 months ish. V comfy just harder work with a bigger kid.

We also have a front carry sling thing which is nowhere near as good for hikes.

stuartf 14 Jan 2017

We've got an osprey poco ag. It's light, comfortable and adjustable and comes with a good rain cover and sun shade. It's definitely better than the Kelty kids one we borrowed before we got it (lighter and more comfortable)
 Dave the Rave 14 Jan 2017

I had a Macpac Vamoose for our two.
A typical, comfy carry for both dad and kid. It had a good raincover and plenty of storage. Took the kid up Snowdon in winter in it and never heard a peep.
 david100 14 Jan 2017

We have a deuter kid comfort. Brilliant bombproof backcarrier which we have used for both kids. Very adjustable. good storage. Decent padding. One downside to all frame carriers is that they hold the load away from the back. This does put pressure on the shoulders. For this reason my wife always uses a sling whenever she has to carry the baby locally even for quite long walks.
 Sam W 14 Jan 2017

We've got a Macpac Vamoose for sale, was great when the kids were small to medium size but no way I'm carrying them these days. PM me if you want more info/photos etc.
OP thomasadixon 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks all for the replies. Glad to hear they seem to generally be pretty good (replacement for a buggy is definitely the idea).

We were concerned about the padding going for used ones (a little about stains as well, we have a pukey baby so knowing they're easy to clean would be good!), I take it neither are an issue really?

We've got a sling which my wife uses around the house and locally, and a wilkinet (used by my wife's mum and still in good nick!) which is fine for me for an hour or so at the moment but right now she's tiny, and when she gets bigger I don't think it will be anymore so looking at the backpack types.

Definitely interested Sam - I've asked my wife to PM you as the e-mail address I've got on here is broken at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...