UKC

Pain in groin when being lowered

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 innesmac 16 Jan 2017
Hi All,

Just seeing if anyone else suffers/knows why/ or how to stop.

When being lowered from a route I sometime get a very uncomfortable pain in my right handside groin. NOT every time, but once of twice during a indoor session. Has done over past few year and thought not much of it. But this weekend I was on a course, and was happening nearly all the time whilst sat in my harness.

Just to clarify;
Doesnt happen every time
Not suspended for long periods of time
Moving Leg loop helps with pain

Just seeing if anyone else experience it or did do and know what causes it and how to stop it.

Cheers
 Toerag 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:

Is your John Thomas getting trapped? (assuming you're a guy, I've not looked at your profile)
 Hat Dude 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Time to get rid of the old Whillan's harness
 two_tapirs 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:
Whenever I've had this it's always been because of poorly positioned or tightened leg loop, and usually caused by material (trousers, shorts) bunching up or twisting a little.

Occasionally on a lower off I've found a pinched bollock to be the cause of the pain, but you tend to know what the problem is pretty bloody quick
Post edited at 14:16
 SuperLee1985 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:

Have had this happen occasionally, I presume its just a nerve getting pinched, often seems to happen if my harness/leg loops get a bit twisted round. After re-adjusting/pulling the leg-loops down a bit it usually goes away.
 jon 16 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

> Occasionally on a lower off I've found a pinched bollock to be the cause of the pain

Reminds me of Jasper Carrot's Australian Motor Insurance Claims sketch: 'I told the police I was uninjured but upon removing my hat I found I had a fractured skull...'
 alx 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:

I have heard of this before and could be due to trapping of protuberances. Once you ruled this out it maybe a good idea to work on stretching out some of the hip and leg muscles using a foam roller, tennis ball and stretching mat.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog/stories/the-climbing-doctor-having-pel...

This site has some useful information
 mattsccm 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:

Get a Whillans. Very comfy for controlled lowers, just not so good for uncontrolled falls which is not really what it was designed for was it.
Sell you mine. only 37 years old and it looks fine.
 Mark Collins 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:

I had a problem with similar symptoms when the lymph node in my right hand groin swelled up and came into contact with the buckle on my leg loop when being lowered. I'd never had this before but could feel a hardening on the right but not the left. The doctor said that lymph nodes swell up due to an infection in the limb they protect. They're 'designed' to prevent the spread of infection to other parts of the body I believe. The swelling disappeared with time, but I did get a more sympathetically designed harness as well. Apparently its quite common for them to swell up and them go down any old time. Hope whatever it is clears up.
 springfall2008 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:

I'd maybe try a different harness as the one you have might not fit your body that well. Perhaps your leg loops are too loose and your need to tighten them to put more pressure on your legs and less on your groin area?
 johncook 16 Jan 2017
In reply to innesmac:

Try making sure your leg loops are not too tight, ie, they hang down at the back somewhat. When you sit in the harness lift your knees. Then, instead of the leg loops pulling into your groin they stay under the back of your thigh, causing your legs to make a right angle with your body and all your weight is supported on the back of your upper thighs, not in your groin.
Regularly see overtight leg loops, and/or legs straight down during lowering and all seem to find it painful. Harnesses used to be called sit harnesses, as that is how they are most comfortable.
P.s if you get large lumps in the side of your neck, the loops are really really too tight!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...