UKC

Crib Goch in "summer conditions"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 16 Jan 2017
Im heading up to north wales for next weekend. Currently it seems really mild, all the web cams show rain, day time temps seem well above freezing and even snowdon summit temps are just dipping below 0. Is it going to be possible to do grib coch and scrambles in approach shoes? I dont want to be another punter who falls off trying to do a summer route in winter only thoughts are if it's raining and then freezing at night there might be lots of verglass?
 jas wood 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Unless blatantly obvious you'll have to go and see! Nothing wrong with taking the spiky stuff and keeping it in the bag if it's not needed, exactly what we did at the weekend. Hope for the best prepare for the worst!
 scott titt 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:
The BMC Idwal conditions site https://www.thebmc.co.uk/idwal gives temps for 850m, Crib Goch is 923m so pretty close in temp terms.
 UKC Forums 16 Jan 2017
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.
More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
OP Kemics 16 Jan 2017
In reply to scott titt:

thanks, thats a useful link

I'm sure i'll be fine ... but slightly nervous about a relationship-ending epic with the ladyfriend!
 Trangia 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:

I agree with what other have said, you probably won't know until you get up there, so I'd take ice axe and crampons - better the extra eight and leave them in/on your sack if you don't need them, rather than go all the way up there and find you will need them and haven't got them! Obviously you will need to wear crampon compatible boots.

If the gf is inexperienced I'd be inclined to chose a less intimidating route in winter. Crampons and ice axe won't be a lot of use to her if she doesn't know how to use them!
 Billhook 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Next week is a long time off in weather terms. Just keep your eye open for the weather, forecast and an eye on the mountain weather forecast for conditions under foot at that hight. Personally I'd not do it in approach shoes in winter because you're feet/ankles are probably going to get soaked.
 SenzuBean 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> If the gf is inexperienced I'd be inclined to chose a less intimidating route in winter. Crampons and ice axe won't be a lot of use to her if she doesn't know how to use them!

I can confirm from past poor experience that bringing the gf up an icy scramble with crampons and ice axe (but no knowledge) is totally daft. :/

Billhook 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:

I only just noticed the remark re girlfriend. I may be able to understand why you want to impress her, but I'd guess, unless she has experience and/or confidence at dealing with exposure, then this is going to end up badly. Summer, perhaps OK. Wet, cold and frightened is going to be her experience.

Is this her first experience of exposure? Is it her first experience of hill top winter conditions? And has she worn crampons before over rocky terrain?

Jack_Lewin 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Well its winter. "summer" conditions or not. Don't take approach shoes.
OP Kemics 27 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

She has lots of hill walking experience and has seconded some multi pitch vdiffs without any drama but still, how she would deal with the exposure/mountain environment is a bit of unknown. EVen though temps for grib coch look above freezing I think it's a bit of a gamble.

Would anyone suggest any wet weather (forecast is pap!) days out for snowdonia that are less likely to end our relationship? :P
 Dell 28 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:

> Would anyone suggest any wet weather (forecast is pap!) days out for snowdonia that are less likely to end our relationship? :P

Zipworld! Followed by a fry up at Pete's.

GridNorth 28 Jan 2017
In reply to Kemics:

I once did the Horseshoe in reverse in winter but no snow/ice in sight. We got all the way round without using crampons but when we got to the track just above Pen-Y-Pas it was covered in verglas and deadly. It took as long to walk the last mile as it did to walk the whole of the route.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...