UKC

How thorough are mandatory kit checks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 17 Jan 2017

Hello, Ive run a few ultras, fair few trail halves and quite a few fell runs, some check your kit some dont and it seems mostly up to the organiser rather than the severity of the event or weather conditions.

Some fell events have mandatory kit but so long as the marshalls see you have a bag or bumbag theyre happy. On another ultramarathon there was no check at all.

Ive got a ME gtx pro shell jacket that Ill be wearing for my next event (Marmot dark mountains) but for the rest of the year its fairly bulky and heavy (510g) just to be sat in a bag unused. I know there are really lightweight jackets out there like Alpkit Gravitas, Montane minimus or Inov-8 ultrashell which are designed for this type of activity in mind (all nicely expensive too). However Ive also got a Montane stormrider cycling jacket which is 300g three layer eVent but doesnt have a hood.

Would any organiser be so keen as to check if the jacket had a hood for british spring/summer events?
Post edited at 12:52
 tony 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Pesda potato:

It varies from race to race. It's a bit of a pain, but I generally go by the rule that it's their race and if they require a jacket with a hood, I need to have a jacket with a hood - otherwise they're within their rights to refuse to allow me to start. I probably wouldn't be fussed about that for a short race, but I'd be a bit pissed off it was a big race or special event.
OP The Potato 17 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:

yes they would be in their right to do so but what Im wondering is has anybody been checked that closely?
 Tall Clare 17 Jan 2017

My husband's just done the Spine challenger and apparently they hauled every third competitor through a fine-tooth comb kit check, mainly because I guess if you don't have the necessary kit on something like that and it turns out you do need it, you could be in serious trouble. We've had similar rigour (competitor and support) on a mountain ironman triathlon too, for what I assume are the same reasons.

In reply to Tall Clare:
youd be crazy not to have the right kit on the spine though! or just crazy in general, thats a biggie
Not done an IM but thanks for the heads up about that
Post edited at 12:59
 galpinos 17 Jan 2017

Some will, some won't. I take the line that if they ask for it, I should have it. Makes life easier for all concerned.
 steveriley 17 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:
I think the answer is 'it depends' - there's a table in the FRA Rules that gives where it's a rule and where it's a guide http://fellrunner.org.uk/documents/2017/FRA%20Requirements%20for%20Runners%...

I've done races where every entrant had their kit checked, ones with a few spot checks and others where people clearly weren't carrying anything/enough.

Edit: general reply not Tony in particular
Post edited at 12:59
 The New NickB 17 Jan 2017

I've had everything from no check at all to checking every piece of kit in detail. Kit checks of all competitors are getting more common, I would say most only do a basic check of individual items, but I wouldn't chance it.

You can buy very basic, light jackets with hoods and taped seems for less than a tenner. These will get you safely off the hill as well as a £200 jacket.
In reply to tony:

I suppose I could see how much it would cost to add a hood to the cycle jacket, its a damned good jacket and Ive cycled and run in it many times for training.
In reply to The New NickB:

I suppose I could get a cheap one for kit requirements only, something like mac in a sac.

Last year I did the pen llyn ultra and it was misty/light rain for the last 3h but given the temperature and Id put on a merino top I didnt bother with a waterproof and was quite comfortable.
 Dark-Cloud 17 Jan 2017

If it's a wet day expect to be checked, if its sunny and dry you might get away with it.

In the latest version of Fellrunner they have announced new (or tighter) rules on kit and on the general management of fell races so i would expect it to increase, there have been deaths in FRA events before so they take it pretty seriously.

I have been kit checked on mountain marathons on several occasions, had a friend DQ'd at finish kit check for no taped seams.
 Curry 17 Jan 2017

A well known Scottish ultra runner was DQ'd from the Pentland Skyline race a few years ago for not having any of the mandatory kit despite being fully aware of the policy. Then had cheek to get snippy about it!

Rule of thumb is take everything in the car you may be asked to be required to carry, even if it's looking like a fine day. Fine days can turn minging and if you break an ankle you'll chill down faster than you thought possible.

Most races will call forth 10-20% of the field for a spot check a few minutes beforehand like the Skyline, the Carnethy 5 checks 100% of all runners, no race without kit.
 galpinos 17 Jan 2017

> I suppose I could get a cheap one for kit requirements only, something like mac in a sac.

> Last year I did the pen llyn ultra and it was misty/light rain for the last 3h but given the temperature and Id put on a merino top I didnt bother with a waterproof and was quite comfortable.

and they you go over on your ankle, slip on scree, break a leg and your sat, going nowhere is a piss wet though woolly top. You'll be glad of your waterproof and hood then whilst waiting for assistance/the MR to arrive.
 tony 17 Jan 2017

> I suppose I could get a cheap one for kit requirements only, something like mac in a sac.

If you're going to get something, make sure it meets the FRA guidelines - taped seams in particular.
 tony 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Curry:
> Most races will call forth 10-20% of the field for a spot check a few minutes beforehand like the Skyline, the Carnethy 5 checks 100% of all runners, no race without kit.

Likewise, the Lairig Ghru checks everyone, although it's done in a slightly haphazard way.
 hokkyokusei 17 Jan 2017

Most fell races I've done where the kit was mandatory, they checked pretty thoroughly. As you say though, for some categories of race, it's down to the discretion of the organisers. I've never been kit checked at the end of a race, but by the time I roll in, the kit checkers have probably gone home

A club mate (club captain, actually) did get his whole relay team DQed for losing his jacket on the way round once. No, we've never let him forget it.
In reply to galpinos:

I think you have misunderstood the OP's point. You carry a waterproof, but 95% of the time you don't want to wear it. If you twist an ankle and are either slowed to a crawl or have to wait for assistance, you obvoliously put on every item of clothing you are carrying. A cheap waterproof keeps the wind and rain off every bit as well as an expensive one, it just might not be a comfortable to run in.
 galpinos 17 Jan 2017

I thought he was saying he would use a jacket not to spec (i.e. no hood) as it probably wouldn't be checked. My point was that for most fell races, the jacket only comes out when you're hurt (unless you're running the Trigger going by the photos from this year), in which case a hood (over your hat) is a very welcome addition not to be skimped on.

I may have missed the point though and have pneumonia so am grumpier than normal, especially about stuff I can't currently do, e.g. fell run.
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Calderdale Relay?
 DaveHK 17 Jan 2017
Glen Coe Skyline and Ring of Steall checked that everybody had everything. But there were still inconsistencies within that in terms of what different checkers accepted.
Post edited at 15:59
 thedatastream 17 Jan 2017
Small fell races usually involve a sign here to say you've got the minimum and it's all taken on trust.

I've been thoroughly kit checked at the end of a leg of the Ian Hodgson Mountain Relay which was a surprise, I think everyone got pulled up on that one.

The Fellsman kit check has a reputation for being overly thorough and we got spot checked at one of the roadside checkpoints for the emergency kit, map, compass, etc. (possible punchline: we weren't even doing the race badum tish!)

Last year's Dark Mountains we got a full kit check but it was to the level of "here is my insulated jacket all packed up into it's own pocket, here is my folded up waterproof, etc" and not "what's the hydrostatic head on this jacket?". In my opinion the Dark Mountains is one of those events that I would personally not f**k about with in terms of kit as if it gets shitty on Cross Fell it is going to get really shitty and you'll be thankful of your hood. However everyone is different and I would respect your choice in the matter

I wish I was doing it this year but I've got post cold fatigue and shoddy shoddy fitness at the moment. I wish you accurate navigation!
Post edited at 16:21
 hokkyokusei 17 Jan 2017

Either that or the Bradford Millennium Way, yes.
 digby 17 Jan 2017
> A cheap waterproof keeps the wind and rain off every bit as well as an expensive one,

Not necessarily. If it's relatively heavy then probably yes. If it's as weighty as a bin bag then no. It'll be cold, wet, clinging and uncomfortable, with no insulating properties at all.
Post edited at 18:47
 Nigel Coe 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Pesda potato: I can understand your dilemma but still think that if you take less than the full kit requirement then you are disrespecting the organiser, you are cheating, you are possibly putting yourself in more danger, and putting other competitors in more danger. It's simple, just comply with the rules or go running on your own!

In reply to Nigel Coe:
less than the full kit - im only talking about a hood here!

in theory yes but in practice, if the event requests a fully taped hooded jacket even if its summer with no rain forecast and warm temps? Also how is it cheating if one person can afford all the top of the range kit thats super lightweight and somebody else only has the bog standard heavy stuff, thats not fair either, but thats life
- as I said this isnt for extreme conditions, or gruelling winter mountain marathons and ultras, just your standard spring/summer conditions. I doubt many of us take the kind of mandatory kit organisers ask for on our regular training runs do we?
Post edited at 19:57
 Tony & Sarah 17 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Hi Galpinos the Trigger2016, for a short local race the conditions were quite tough especially for the slower runners ,most runners fell, I went over twice.
I carry very light kit but in poor conditions (Trigger) I started in heavy kit (0MM Kamleika )
Tony
In reply to digby:

Obvious you have to get the right cheap waterproof, many expensive models have the clingy bin bag qualities you mention.

Mac in a sac original is about 280g for £20, that'll do for kit check, (wouldn't want to wear it other than an emergency though 5000mvp)
 galpinos 17 Jan 2017

If it's summer and warm with no rain forecast, the requirement for kit might be waived.

I did the Lee Mill Relay in late 2015. It took place during Storm Clodagh, it was brutal, one guy was hospitalised with hypothermia, another Ben Mounsey, talks about his experiences here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/benmounsey.net/2015/11/30/bad-education/amp/...

My girlfriend also took part and did so quite happily in her £8.99 Decathon hooded waterproof.
ceri 18 Jan 2017

I remember a few years ago coming 2nd or 3rd lady in one of the Peak fell races. It said full FRA kit, so I carried a fairly full bumbag. The lady ahead of me had come sailing past in shorts and top carrying nothing. Felt a bit unfair, but not much you can do. On another occasion I didn't think to take full kit and was very happy they weren't checking!
 Rampikino 18 Jan 2017

The races I have done this season so far have included mandatory requirements, but I have not been checked. All of them have made it clear that spot checks would be carried out and while I didn't see them I can't say that they didn't happen.

I am fully expecting a kit check at the Long Mynd Valleys in a couple of weeks as the rules there appear to be very stringently applied.

My take on it is really simple - have the full kit if the organisers require it.

I ran the 3 Peaks in 2002 - the year of the horizontal snow when 1 in 5 didn't finish and 50+ runners went down with exposure and hypothermia. Having the kit then was an absolute must - even if at times during the day the weather appeared to be just a bit wet and cold - it actually turned into a very serious situation on Ingleborough.
 digby 18 Jan 2017
In reply to ceri:
> Felt a bit unfair, but not much you can do.

It is unfair, and you should make your feelings known to the race organiser if that sort of thing happens.

And race organisers should do checks when there are mandatory requirements. I find it rather annoying when they don't.
Post edited at 16:37
 plyometrics 18 Jan 2017

In reply to:

"Would any organiser be so keen as to check if the jacket had a hood for british spring/summer events?"

Nobody can answer that with any certainty, other than the race organisers in question.

Personally, I'll always carry what the race organiser asks.

Also, if you're racing in the mountains, we all know weather conditions can change very quickly, no matter what time of year it is.
 Pipecleaner 19 Jan 2017

I'd always take the organisers kit list as a minimum and I've put heavier waterproofs and extra spare clothes in on bad days. Never felt it was holding me back, indeed I've taken full kit when none was required...and not taking the mandatory kit is cheating...unless I'm wrong.
Using the argument that those that can afford expensive lightweight kit is a reason not to carry full kit yourself sounds a bit like arguing that it's ok to take a shortcut if you don't have as much time to run the whole race as someone else! (I am only half serious here of course...but I am half serious none the less).

That said many races have very poor or no kit checks for various reasons. Carnethy for the record are very thorough for their checks and I'd absolutely support not letting someone without the full kit run. Not carrying the full kit in good weather is also an easy way to let standards slip whereby bit by bit everyone starts to downgrade what they carry. It's in our interests to safeguard the sport...negative publicity when you get caught out means that the general public think we're a bunch of loonys....of course they may be right.

Only my opinion and you're perfectly entitled to make your own decisions of course...and of course enjoy the running!
 DaveHK 22 Jan 2017

My wife just told me about a road half marathon which requires waterproof full body cover!

https://www.entrycentral.com/StrathavenHalfMarathon
 davegs 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

I helped out with kit check and logistics on the challenger. The full kit check was random based on drawing a raffle ticket. Even partial kit check was rigorous!

To Pesda, up to you, I'd rather carry a little more than a little less...

Doghouse 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Nigel Coe:

> I can understand your dilemma but still think that if you take less than the full kit requirement then you are disrespecting the organiser, you are cheating, you are possibly putting yourself in more danger, and putting other competitors in more danger. It's simple, just comply with the rules or go running on your own!

This ^^
 shuffle 22 Jan 2017
In reply to davegs:

I did the Challenger and really liked the way kit check was done. The amount of mandatory kit on the Spine would have made a full check for every competitor a hefty undertaking!

I'm very much of the view that for fell races the mandatory kit is the bare minimum you'd need if you got injured or needed to assist someone else. I'm happy to carry it and hope to not need it.

I don't think it's ok to expect someone else to provide you with warm layers or waterproofs if you pick up an injury on the hill. If I stop to give first aid to someone, my kit is to keep me warm and dry whilst I assist. First rule of first aid - don't create another casualty.
 Nigel Coe 25 Jan 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> My wife just told me about a road half marathon which requires waterproof full body cover!

> https://www.entrycentral.com/StrathavenHalfMarathon

Sounds a good idea to me. From the website: 'The race takes place through exposed elevated terrain in the middle of winter.'
 GraB 25 Jan 2017
> less than the full kit - im only talking about a hood here!

But surely you value your head as much as any other part of your body? And its obviously where most of your body heat is lost should you find yourself injured and getting hypothermic. I can't really think of any reason not to go out and buy something suitable, given that you can get something plenty light and packable enough with taped seams and a hood for under £100. Its only fair to yourself, the organisers and the other competitors.

How about this? It is excellent, though I would probably take something else if there was a chance of needing it for more than an hour or two:
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-sh...

From memory, along with the other races already mentioned that have full mandatory kit checks, so does Jura, Duddon Valley, Kentmere, Borrowdale, Langdale (I think, though it has been a while..).
Post edited at 15:26
 edunn 25 Jan 2017

Take a £1 poncho (with a hood)
 DaveHK 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Nigel Coe:

>Sounds a good idea to me. From the website: 'The race takes place through exposed elevated terrain in the middle of winter.

Oh come on, it's a road half marathon that takes a loop round a populated area at 200m asl. Full waterproof body cover plus hat is totally excessive.

If its on the kit list I take it whether I think they will check or not. I would feel like I'd cheated and wouldn't be happy with myself if I didn't take it. If others choose not to then that's up to them. I race to beat my times rather than to be placed in a position so how fast other people go is a bit irrelevant to me. Is an extra 150g really going to spoil your race?

When you are driving your car the speed limit still applies whether there is a camera or not. Some people will go too fast when there isn't a camera but it doesn't make it right.

yer maw 01 Mar 2017
Full kit was a bit of an overkill for Carnethy this year
Post edited at 21:05
 Roadrunner5 03 Mar 2017

It really depends, I've been turned back at events for missing gear. I once made the whole club maps of the race then forgot mine at the start of a British Champs race and had to run a good mile back and to to get the map from the car.

Other times nothing. Check the weather. If its nice I push it as much as I can, most do.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Mar 2017

If the rules say something is required, then not to take it is cheating - you're putting yourself at an unfair advantage over those who follow the rules.
 The New NickB 03 Mar 2017
In reply to digby:

> Not necessarily. If it's relatively heavy then probably yes. If it's as weighty as a bin bag then no. It'll be cold, wet, clinging and uncomfortable, with no insulating properties at all.

Are you talking about the cheap or expensive waterproofs here, the expensive ones are often lighter weight materials.
 Roadrunner5 04 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
I find it strange how kit checks/lists are so much less stringent in the US

I just helped at a race in a ski resort, we actually had no marshalls, it was only a short race, but -17C, so a tad chilly. These races are 2-5 miles long up and down various ski runs before the resorts open and there's no kit list. We normally have the odd Marshall, me and my dog, with a radio. But in general it's far less stringent.

Even winter/fall trail races won't have much if any kit requirements and it's far more of a, tough your fault, issue if you get lost/injured.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Personally I think that's a better line to take - leave it up to the competitor. But perhaps understandably the FRA are going in the other direction since the Buttermere death and insisting on full kit regardless of weather.
OP The Potato 07 Mar 2017

just out of interes I tried the mac in a sack jacket yesterday had a walk up Carnedd Dafydd from Bethesda, it was raining and snowing for the most part of the 4h walk, I expected my midlayer to be sodden but it wasnt bad actually, so fair play to the mac in a sack. I would say the arms are stupidly short though so had wet sleeves/gloves but thats ok by me for £15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...