UKC

Vente fabric

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2017
I'm thinking of saving for a new jacket.
I really want a double ventile for longevity but on searching I have found that Slioch have moved to Buxton and are called Firemore.

They do a double ventile mountain jacket but the pockets are under the waist belt. They also do a high spec MRT jacket that seems a better design but is in vente fabric.
I've never heard of this. Has anyone any reviews/knowledge of it?
Ta
 Timmd 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Could you ask them to do you an altered jacket where the pockets are moved upwards?
 nniff 17 Jan 2017

Venté's a membrane-based waterproof fabric. Details on Firemore's site

You could also look at hilltrek.co.uk - endless variations on the theme of ventile jacket.
OP Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2017
In reply to nniff:

Thanks I saw that, but is it any good ?

Is it due to not having a goretex license that they use it, or, is vente better?
 Siward 17 Jan 2017
So Slioch still exist- excellent. My 90s 'Mountain Rescue jacket' (Taslan Goretex) is still going strong and has served me well. I had to apply some new iron on tape last year.

As to Vente, I'd give the Firemore people a call and ask about it. It sounds like one of the many (these days) generic PTFE membranes that, as you say, aren't branded goretex.
Post edited at 17:17
OP Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

> So Slioch still exist- excellent. My 90s 'Mountain Rescue jacket' (Taslan Goretex) is still going strong and has served me well. I had to apply some new iron on tape last year.
I would buy one of they still made it due to its durability. I really would like a ventile but I'm unsure wether its drawbacks outweigh the benefits.
Their Glenmore smock looks value but it's single layer .

> As to Vente, I'd give the Firemore people a call and ask about it. It sounds like one of the many (these days) generic PTFE membranes that, as you say, aren't branded goretex.
Indeed. It sounds French too and would sooner buy a Chorley cloth
 d_b 17 Jan 2017

You do know that ventile is manufactured in Switzerland?

From wikipedia:

Currently the only manufacturer of this specification of cotton textile is Stotz & Co AG,[3] where they spin, twist, weave and dye the raw materials in their native Switzerland, and sell the textile directly under their own branding of etaProof[4] cotton; supplying clothing manufacturers and wholesale textile distributors globally.

British production of Ventile eventually ended in the late 20th century[5] but the trademark continues to be used by the British company Talbot Weaving (Chorley) Ltd[6] to market their wholesale distribution of etaProof cotton fabrics. Alternative registered trademarks, owned by other commercial organisations used to market, promote or distribute the fabric, include Supermarine[7] and Duuton3.[2]

nikkormat 17 Jan 2017

On the subject of Ventile jackets, have a look at Tilak: I have one of their Gore-Tex jackets, and it's excellent, well made and well cut, made in Czech Republic. They make a couple of Ventile jackets, the Odin and Loke:

http://www.tilak.cz/en/odin-jacket
http://www.tilak.cz/en/loke-jacket
 Ridge 17 Jan 2017
In reply to nikkormat:

> On the subject of Ventile jackets, have a look at Tilak: I have one of their Gore-Tex jackets, and it's excellent, well made and well cut, made in Czech Republic. They make a couple of Ventile jackets, the Odin and Loke:

The odin looks pretty good value. Does anyone know how effective is ventile compared to modern membranes?
 ShortLock 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Ridge:
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/ventile.57479/page-2

Fair amount of decent analysis on the Army forums, especially on the second page (the one linked to). There's at least one other thread there if you use the search function, no idea how useful it'll be though.

ETA: http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Ventile.html
Quite a few options there, from circa £250 I believe.
Post edited at 00:01
 d_b 18 Jan 2017
In reply to ShortLock:

I had a look at some of the stuff in their shop last time I was up in deeside. The made to measure clothing extends to customisations like adding & removing pockets etc. I was sorely tempted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...