UKC

What cults have you joined?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 18 Jan 2017
Ok, I'm obviously a desciple of Dagon, but apart from the Deep Ones, I appear to have inadvertently joined several cults- the kind of thing that makes other cultists come over and give you the secret handshake.

Notably I have joined the cult of the Golden Retriever. I thought I'd just got a generic gundog type. Oh no, I have a"goldie" and am therefore subject to frequent interrogations about bloodlines and breeders. "I got him from a friend who had a litter" is apparently insufficient.

I have also joined the Cult of Subaru and the cult of Tentipi, both of which require an encyclopaedic knowledge of the brand, lest I let my fellow Cultists down.

What other mundane objects have a secret following?
 JohnnyW 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Lambrettas. 30+ years of oil, grease and mechanical under-achievement, along with life-long friends made, and one hell of a social life.
 jkarran 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

The Beard: 3-4 years in it's still only really lumberjack, maybe hobo spec and getting a bit ratty in places but at least I've finally passed out of the hipster zone. People point and murmur, people stop me in the street just to ask about it or express appreciation, men in pubs want to shake my hand, women want to touch it... the dog nips at it when he's overexcited.

Lurcher: Anyone with anything long, pointy and dog-like seems to want to say hello and ask about his life story. Sadly I don't know it, I can't do much more than his name, 'he's a good lad' and 'he's middle aged'.
jk
 Jon Stewart 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Smiths fans.
 JEF 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Mumsnet.
It's hardcore.
 Kevster 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:
Zimpara for prime minister.
It's a new cult, any takers?
Entry is paid in beer, anything off the "WOT U DRINK" thread.

Post edited at 16:55
 Duncan Bourne 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:
The Mini - I owned two some years back a 1977 Jubilee special 850 (one of my best cars ever) and a Mini Mayfair 950 (one of my worst cars ever) but I achieved someting of cult leader status in certain quarters when I started doing a cartoon strip for Mini Magazine.

As an aside I did have tea with the Moonies once.
Post edited at 16:55
cb294 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Post of the year so far (not that this says much on January 18th....)!

CB, member of the cults of Moser and Campagnolo .

I once got stopped by the Carabinieri for riding on an alpine road closed for bicycles. Fortunately they were not interested in fining me, but had just pulled me over to commend me for riding a proper Italian, steel framed, Campa geared race bike!

AndyC 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Fully paid up member of Cult of the Loner... it's very exclusive!
Moley 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Split cane carp rod, with appropriate traditional reel.
I don't wear tweed, that's a step too far.
 Bimble 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

I've got a Working Cocker Spaniel, which leads to lots of chats with obsessive working owners and semi-professional field triallers, but I dare not mention mine hasn't got a pedigree certificate.

I also keep Jacob sheep, but the owners of those are a little more laid back.
 Andy Clarke 18 Jan 2017

In reply to toad

> I have also joined the Cult of Subaru

I used to drive a Scooby Speedwagon (hatchback, 2 tier rear spoiler) WRX STi version 2, "imported" from Japan. Four inch pipe. Radio only able to pick up oriental frequencies. Did breathtakingly little to the gallon and no suspension to speak of but rocket fast off the mark. Never saw another one on UK roads - so rare other members of the cult would flash their lights in delight. This was a fair few years ago - does it still feel like a cult?
Post edited at 18:55
In reply to Jon Stewart:
God yes.
OP toad 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Andy Clarke:
ah. have to admit my vehicle is the other sort of Subaru - a Forester, but there doesn't appear to be a Nottingham dealer, so they are quite unusual in these parts so people talk to me in car parks

I had a friend with one of those mazda bongo campers and they had some sort of salute that mimicked the raising roof - very weird
Post edited at 19:09
 jimtitt 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Eeek!
A Subaru, a Border Collie, a Pointer, a beard and 5 woodburning stoves. Thank God I dumped the tepee a few years ago.
OP toad 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Smiths fans.

Much as I loath the Smiths, Nobody ever describes Mozzer as a "mundane object"
OP toad 18 Jan 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

ah. Did you have a woodburner for the tepee? It's ace
 Wry Spudding 18 Jan 2017
In reply to cb294:

Have a 'like' as I can't see a button for an appreciative, reverential nod.
 bouldery bits 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

MX-5 club.

Buffalo owners club.

Teaching!
In reply to toad:

Oh, and UKC.
 arch 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Subaru Imprezza Catalunya no 182 of 200 cult. (Sold it to my idiot of a BIL after nine years of ownership, only for him to total it after just three months. The car was immaculate!!)

VW Beetle cult.

Lurcher cult, Saluki/Greyhound, and a Collie/Whippet/Greyhound, or Collie/ Whip/ Grey for those actually in the cult.

Sitting by the side of the river Dove trying to catch a Barbel bigger than 10lbs cult. Very easy to join cult that one.
 arch 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Moley:

A guy across the road has a Richard Walker mk4 that he never uses. I'm good friends with him..........
In reply to toad:

Ive been bouldering indoors 3 times in 4 days... does that count. Thats pretty much my 2 monthly quota done.
In reply to arch:

> Subaru Imprezza Catalunya no 182 of 200 cult. (Sold it to my idiot of a BIL after nine years of ownership, only for him to total it after just three months. The car was immaculate!!)

Noooooooo!!!!

ianstevens 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

>Cult of Subaru

Is that a sub-section of the peasants that aren't in the Octavia Estate cult?
Moley 19 Jan 2017
In reply to arch:

> A guy across the road has a Richard Walker mk4 that he never uses. I'm good friends with him..........

Friend of mine gave his cane mk4 away to a charity shop (before I knew him), I near cried when he told me, think he's crying now too!

You best relieve your neighbour of the rod, a nice barbel on that
 Rob Naylor 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

I briefly joined CrossFit, but realised it was a cult before it got its tentacles fully into me
 Andy DB 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Bimble:

We have also joined the Working Cocker cult! Have been asked a few times if we are planning to breed our pup even though she is only 6 months.

I am also part of the VW van cult. At first was very confused when I got flashed and waved at by other van drivers.
 Hat Dude 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Kevster:

> Zimpara for prime minister.

CuLt, Kevster, CuLt

Andy Gamisou 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:
The Society of Fat Munters.
Post edited at 10:16
 LastBoyScout 19 Jan 2017
In reply to cb294:

Cult of Colnago. There's a secret greeting when you see someone else on one
 Doug 19 Jan 2017
surprised no one has mentioned the cult of Apple. I guess I'm a semi-detached member as I've used Macs quite a lot over 20+ plus years and my laptop is a MacBook. But then its predecessor was a Linux machine & my desktop is a Windows PC and I've lost track of other platforms that I've used over a period of thirty plus years.

And is telemarking still a cult ? if so, I have to plead guilty.

Matt Rees 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Andy DB:
When in NZ, the cult of the Lada Niva circa 1980. I believe one of a limited number that were traded with soviet russia for Kiwi butter! Always acknowledged via a flash of headlights and cloud of smoke!
 ring ouzel 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Try having a SIII Land Rover! Got tennis elbow from all the waving to other people.

And Leica bins - that little red circle is a dead giveaway.

And my local running shop thinks I know what I am doing as I wear an OMM Classic 25 black and yellow rucksack. Clearly they have never seen me run.

Doug 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ring ouzel:

Leica bins isn't a cult, its just that they are very good
 jondo 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

the cult of ukc armchair oldfarts
 felt 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Cult of Cuppressaceae fanciers.
 Kemics 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Martial arts .... some of which have got genuinely culty at times!
 Dave Garnett 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ring ouzel:

> Try having a SIII Land Rover! Got tennis elbow from all the waving to other people.

Yes, even a Disco seems to qualify.

The Brotherhood of the Austrian Scythe is surprisingly pervasive, and the Woodburners and Log Stackers too.

Guinea Fowl Fanciers anyone?
cb294 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ring ouzel:

I have a Leica 10x50, but wish I had an excuse and could afford the new Svarovski 10x42s. What a difference a few years still make!

CB
OP toad 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Yes, even a Disco seems to qualify.

> The Brotherhood of the Austrian Scythe is surprisingly pervasive

Good Grief, there is such a thing? Thought it was just our little volunteer group. No brushcutters here....

and the Woodburners and Log Stackers too.

Yeah, Guilty as charged.

> Guinea Fowl Fanciers anyone?

Dell 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

The cult of personality, it's still great!

youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0&
 wercat 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

The Binary Brethren?
 Fredt 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

The cult of the Canon red ring.
 Tom Valentine 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

As for fancying guinea fowl, are we talking feather or whole bird?

And the scythe will be used properly for the first time this summer.
 kwoods 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Cult of Rush (the band)
 Timmd 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:
The metal cult from early childhood. I was indoctrinated by my oldest brother from the age of 3 being exposed to Motorhead, and then Metallica when they first appeared, it seems I've been drawn back to it in the past few years.

Edit: In hindsight, music like Ace Of Spades was pretty difficult to process at a child, which might explain my later liking for reggae , but there's nothing like early Motorhead and Metallica.
Post edited at 19:35
 Mark Edwards 19 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

The cult of the Honda CBR 1000. Had two, great bikes. OK a bit dated now but when they first came out…. WOW!

Once did Calais to South Wales in way less than 2 hours (long story, but nuff to say I was in a hurry) on my first one.

From the late 80’s
http://s661.photobucket.com/user/tede_stuff/media/PerfBikesMag1b.jpg.html

Don’t think my heart would take it now (serious heart condition) but when younger and before speed cameras. Yee-Haa.

Also agree with Kemics – Martial Arts too. But what (and the way) we were taught in the 80’s bears little resemblance to today’s ‘sport’.

Dave Garnett 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> As for fancying guinea fowl, are we talking feather or whole bird?

More than my life's worth to actually eat one. I didn't think anything could be more stupid than a chicken and still remember to keep breathing but guinea fowl have taught me otherwise.

Ashford 23 Jan 2017
I've joined the "slightly" hipster cult, rocking slimmer jeans and the short hair/long beard combo. Also really enjoying the alternative music scene during my home workouts. Beards themselves are kinda of a cult now and can be daunting but I found oil and vitamins to really help. You can find all sorts of beard care products on google searches like: https://beardgains.com/beard-care/ for instance.
 Lurking Dave 24 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

Crossfit.

Subaru.

Pale ales and smokey American BBQ.

I am comfortable with all the above (they balance each other, kinda)

Cheers
LD
 Cú Chullain 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> I briefly joined CrossFit, but realised it was a cult before it got its tentacles fully into me

I went to a free introductory class at CrossFit and yeah it was all a bit high fivey, fist pumpy, yeah c'mon for my liking. Not cheap either!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...