UKC

Legit Crag Swag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 18 Jan 2017

What is the most Swag you have ever found in one haul? Perhaps one route?

And I am talking swag, stuff left by a outboxed team, or such.

And Ironically, most swag I find has a habit of going walkies...
Post edited at 23:28
 deacondeacon 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

I found a whole rack (about 15 pieces) of little brassies/imps/offsets once which was great as they tend to be expensive to get a good mixed set going. Half of my cams are swag too.
I always post on ukc if I find anything and if no one replies I get to keep them guilt free
I'm also pretty clumsy with my own gear and I've definitely lost more than I've found, including shoes, jackets and a £600 camera!
 summo 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

got two rucksacks worth of abandoned gear from a HVD at Stanage not so long ago.
 WildCamper 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Only found a single nut.

It was tagged and belonged to a member of my climbing club who had dropped it the previous day!

Was a nice feeling to be able to get it back to him
 Kemics 19 Jan 2017
In reply to WildCamper:

I true enjoy the nice feeling of returning crag swag

"managed to get your wire out... was barely stuck. Didn't even use a nut key, if you were a real man you wouldnt have left it" then stand around gloating about my ability to visualise 3D problems and occasionally flexing.
OP zimpara 19 Jan 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:
I have never thought to post on UKC if I find gear. Though I do if I lose something. Hmm
Post edited at 13:42
 Hephaestus 19 Jan 2017
In reply to WildCamper:

I found, and managed to retrieve, an Omega Pacific Link Cam last Autumn and was pretty well pleased with myself. I had only previously seen them perma-welded into cracks from the Peak District to Indian Creek.
It was the shortest lived swag I've ever bagged, as 10 minutes later someone poked their head round the corner and told me it was theirs.
Worth it to see their happy little face when I gave it back, but they were really generous about an extra bottle of booze that they dropped into my work next day!
 SenzuBean 19 Jan 2017
In reply to summo:

> got two rucksacks worth of abandoned gear from a HVD at Stanage not so long ago.

I did actually find a fresh green totem in the 'crux' (can you call it that?) of that particular route when I lead it. Unfortunately for me, I had never played with a totem before and so got confused with it and ended up pulling on it for 20 minutes, before I giving up and carrying on.
 JJL 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> I have never thought to post on UKC if I find gear. Though I do if I lose something. Hmm

Obvious troll is obvious
thelurker 19 Jan 2017
In reply to JJL:

Not so much troll, more the attention seeking mischief of a bored toddler.

French Erick 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

I don't post about what I find (although I would if it was a huge amount) but I don't post about what I lose.
Once, I had 3 pieces returned to me after a 2nd ascent attempt...I was not expecting anything back. I was pleasantly surprised and it reinforced my idea that the pair were gents. I wouldn't have grudged them keeping it.

I bailed, end of story. Whatever gear was left can go to anyone...I was just glad to be back on the deck safe!

The most gear I have found was on an ascent of Scorpion (VI 6). 1 brand new dragon cam with a new screwgate, 2 brand new nuts (one #14), some older nuts, 1 sling 2 pegs and some manky tat that I binned right after. I worked hard to get them out and give the route a clean though!
 EddInaBox 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Value wise it's a toss up between a variety of nuts and a cam, with extenders, on a route somebody must have bailed from at the half way stance and didn't collect their gear on the way down, and the time I found a 50m semi-static ab-rope. Posted about both but didn't get any response, so if you lost a load of gear on Gypsy at Boulder Ruckle, or an ab-rope at Cattle Troughs... I've trashed the ab-rope now, and the gear's in use on my rack.
 dr_botnik 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Pulled 3 nice cams out of a route in the pass. The party before couldn't get them out, it was pretty nice returning them once we had abbed back down.
Think the only things ive not managed to return are single nuts or slings.
Never seen the fabled act of someone soloing up flying buttress direct to rescue cams from failed leads...
 Michael Hood 19 Jan 2017
In reply to dr_botnik: However, I have seen the not so fabled act of soloing up the almost as hard flying buttress to rescue gear from failed leads...

Albert Tatlock 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Late 1970,s winter Malham Cove Superdirectissima A3

A crab on every bolt and a set of etriers , just getting to the top when the Sheffield team who left them turned up mid morning after some previous day epic. After much piss taking we gave them all their clobber back. As a recovery reward they gave us a crab each, was rather hopping for some (lots) free beer in the Buck Inn.
OP zimpara 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

Is this something similar to what I read in Rock athlete?
 Mark Kemball 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Best swag ever, Rab Neutrino and a beanie, in a stuff sack, on the ground under the crag. Advertised on lost and found on here - bumped the post a few times, then gave up and still wear it.
 Albert Tatlock 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

No idea, lots of teams active during the winter , its what you did in the cold / wet , before indoor climbing walls took off .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...