UKC

What harnesses are people wearing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 18 Jan 2017

Amazed to see a lot of people going up Everest wearing incredibly heavy harnesses. tonnes of gear loops etc

What are you wearing? Probably a Hirundos I am guessing?

I eventually got a Petzl Altitude harness (150grams)

Then a Hirundos.

Got ride of both, and looking at a Mammut Zephire Altitude now/ or a sitta.
Post edited at 23:51
ROSP 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Not that I do any high altitude mountaineering but I have a super light weight mammut zephir alpine. I like it and it seems relatively durable as well!
 radson 19 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

probably most people who you see climbing Everest are sherpas and having a harness with a superfluous gear or loop or two is the least off their concerns.
 Billhook 21 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Well done Zimp! So you've knocked off one of your seven already!!. Excellent news.
 d_b 22 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

You don't need anything fancy so long as you can get it on over all the extra layers.

I used to favour an alpine bod for cold weather, but when it wore out I decided that the annoyance caused by its lack of a belay loop outweighed the gains, and went with the similar but belooped dmm super couloir.

Both cheap options, but given an infinite budget I'm not sure I would choose anything significantly different.
 timjones 22 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> Amazed to see a lot of people going up Everest wearing incredibly heavy harnesses. tonnes of gear loops etc

Incredibly heavy?

Are they made of lead

I would want something with fully adjustable legloops and sensibly sized buckles that you can easily use with gloves on.

I tend to use a DMM Alpine for it's functionality rather then fretting about minor weight savings.

oaktree 22 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

I thought you were "This user is currently restricted from posting." as your profile states
 humptydumpty 23 Jan 2017
In reply to oaktree:

Why's he banned?
 Kid Spatula 23 Jan 2017
In reply to humptydumpty:

Likely due to being a massive idiot.
 FactorXXX 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Likely due to being a massive idiot.

You can't ban someone from UKC for being a massive idiot as there'd be no one left!
Lusk 23 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> You can't ban someone from UKC for being a massive idiot as there'd be no one left!

subtle 23 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Likely due to being a massive idiot.

> You can't ban someone from UKC for being a massive idiot as there'd be no one left!

it would make the chatrooms a tad sparse
 Dave Garnett 23 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> What are you wearing?

I don't think it's that kind of site, but I got past the stage of wearing my harness around the house about 40 years ago.

Dheorl 23 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Arc'teryx R320a. Sure, it's probably what you'd class as a heavyweight; I think a bit under 300g if I take the plastic off the gear loops, but soooo comfortable, and means if I can only take one harness on a trip and do pretty much any type of climbing happily with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...