UKC

50 metre doubles for Cogne?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dgbryan 19 Jan 2017
Can I get away with them?
I have been before & used 60s, now disposed of. I don't remember thinking they were too long, but I am now down to a pair of 50s. Can I get away with them or will I be shitting myself on every ab?
Grateful for your thoughts ....
Damian

maybe_si 19 Jan 2017
In reply to dgbryan:

Definitely try and get some 60s, if anything for peace of mind!
 fred99 19 Jan 2017
In reply to dgbryan:

I'm sure that I remember at least one route descent (of a dog-leg type route) where it was obvious that 50's wouldn't have made it, as 60's didn't have much spare, even on stretch.
 Marc Langley 19 Jan 2017
In reply to fred99:
Definitely take 60 meter ropes. We were thankful for them in February.
OP dgbryan 20 Jan 2017
In reply to dgbryan:

the massive has spoken .... t.y. folks!
Damian
Removed User 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Marc Langley:

My recollection from recent years is that 50m were long enough for most of the abseils, but there were a few pitches where I was trying to stretch the ropes in order to reach the bolted belays...(which obviously you don't have to use, but they're handy)
 Marc Langley 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:

I guess my response to that would be, if you did not have to use them why where you stretching your 50s? Just an observation.

Regards
Removed User 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Marc Langley:

I guess I mean that on some pitches if you don't finish at the place where the belay has been created, you can end up in some weird & slightly awkward places...I have a recollection of arriving at the top of maybe P2 on Grand Val onto a snow ledge about 5m short of everything - belay, wall, ice, smug Guides, etc and it wouldn't have really worked belaying earlier...I vaguely remember a thrutchy little chimmey ending with being tucked up under a boulder (quite Scottish, actually, although the weather was nice ), that might have been the top end of Lillaz Gully (or possibly Grand Val which finishes like that I think); that would have been fine but for other parties then trying to squeeze past...so you're right - an inconvenience, rather than a disaster

lardbrain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...