/ Broken ski boots - after 4 days skiing - shop won't replace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TRip - on 19 Jan 2017
Hello,

I bought a pair of ski touring boots on Saturday from a shop in the Alps. I skied with them on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

By this point several of the buckles had partially come off, one had fallen off completely and was lost in the snow. I got this buckle replaced (thankfully FOC) by a local shop and it came off again the next day. I was skiing using leashes, but none of the buckles were pulled off by the leashes.

I returned the boots to the shop I purchased them from yesterday. They were not willing to refund me my money immediately. I left the boots there on the understanding that the shop would speak to the manufacturer in the morning. I was hoping that the situation would be quickly resolved and the shop would refund me my money.

I have just heard that the company have agreed to replace the buckles, but not the boots.

I am not very happy with this. I would ideally like money back as I need a new boot before I go skiing in Austria in March.

I paid for the boots with a credit card.

Any ideas?

Tom
Jim 1003 - on 19 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:

> Hello,

> I bought a pair of ski touring boots on Saturday from a shop in the Alps. I skied with them on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

> By this point several of the buckles had partially come off, one had fallen off completely and was lost in the snow. I got this buckle replaced (thankfully FOC) by a local shop and it came off again the next day. I was skiing using leashes, but none of the buckles were pulled off by the leashes.

> I returned the boots to the shop I purchased them from yesterday. They were not willing to refund me my money immediately. I left the boots there on the understanding that the shop would speak to the manufacturer in the morning. I was hoping that the situation would be quickly resolved and the shop would refund me my money.

> I have just heard that the company have agreed to replace the buckles, but not the boots.

> I am not very happy with this. I would ideally like money back as I need a new boot before I go skiing in Austria in March.

> I paid for the boots with a credit card.

> Any ideas?

> Tom

Buy them in Decathlon next time, they change for 12 months, no questions asked, I've done it twice just because I wanted different ones.

I see you paid by credit card, ring them. they will tell you what your rights are, probably the shop has fixed then so that is that.
1
ianstevens - on 19 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:

> Hello,

> I bought a pair of ski touring boots on Saturday from a shop in the Alps. I skied with them on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

> By this point several of the buckles had partially come off, one had fallen off completely and was lost in the snow. I got this buckle replaced (thankfully FOC) by a local shop and it came off again the next day. I was skiing using leashes, but none of the buckles were pulled off by the leashes.

> I returned the boots to the shop I purchased them from yesterday. They were not willing to refund me my money immediately. I left the boots there on the understanding that the shop would speak to the manufacturer in the morning. I was hoping that the situation would be quickly resolved and the shop would refund me my money.

> I have just heard that the company have agreed to replace the buckles, but not the boots.

> I am not very happy with this. I would ideally like money back as I need a new boot before I go skiing in Austria in March.

> I paid for the boots with a credit card.

> Any ideas?

> Tom

I don't really see what your issue is here. Your boots broke. The manufacturer have agreed something is up and are fixing them, presumably FOC. That's all they are obliged to do, and you will still have a four day old, functioning pair of boots.
3
kevin stephens - on 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

My experience in France is that shops don't have the same legal responsibility as in the UK to replace faulty goods, only to get the manufacturer to do so. As a matter of interest what make and model of boots are they?
smithaldo - on 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

If your boots broke again half way round a five day ski tour or even half way round a day ski tour, after they had already broken, then you would perhaps get what the issue is.

And, they are actually obliged to give you a new pair under EU law, not fix the old pair, as these ones were not fit for purpose.

3
mysterion on 19 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:

Easy for a buckle to shake loose descending lots of ice. At some point it becomes your lookout to check the fastenings for tightness.
galpinos on 19 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:
No idea what you can do, sorry.

Were the buckles riveted or screwed? Did you have them totally unbuckled when skinning and is this when they came off? Sounds a bit poor to me, what boots were they?
Post edited at 21:20
Nemo9 - on 19 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:

They weren't Scott Cosmos boots by any chance ?
TRip - on 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Nemo9:

Got it in one. Have you had the same problem?
HeMa on 20 Jan 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> My experience in France is that shops don't have the same legal responsibility as in the UK to replace faulty goods.

You sir, are wrong...

EU Consumer law, is pretty extensive. And actually, most of which you "dub" as UK legal responsibilities... are EU Consumer protection mandates. And they are very much in full effect, also in France.

That said, quite a few (smaller) shops, would rather not refund stuff and so on. But again, EU law says that they can. Problem is the fact that when bought from store, the return -no questions asked- policy timeframe is a lot shorter than if bought online (30 days). But even after this timeframe, you can veto on not fit for given purpose. By which the seller can have the goods, fixed, replaced or refunded...
1
ads.ukclimbing.com
Dave Kerr - on 20 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:
Surely if they replace the buckles and that fixes the problem then they've fulfilled their obligations? Might be worth checking with the manufacturer that the new buckles are a permanent fix.

Understandable that you still might not trust the boots for a bit but if they dig their heels in there's nothing you can do and I doubt they'll worry too much about pissing off a non regular customer.

Oh and Loctite.
Post edited at 07:39
HeMa on 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Kerr:

> Oh and Loctite.

Yes, if bolts...

Unfortunately a lot more iffy is rivets... loctite won't help there...
Jim 1003 - on 20 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:

Well known problem with these and their last model
TRip - on 22 Jan 2017
Does anyone know anything about French consumer law?

The shop are trying to claim they don't give refunds on products that are discounted, regardless of if they were faulty or not.

Any information would be gratefully received.
Tony & Sarah - on 22 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:

will try to find out this morning

tony
TobyA on 22 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:

Their law has to conform to EU regs which are pretty good on consumer protection. I would be surprised if that's allowed, although I guess if they got them fixed for you first, it might be to do with that?
Good luck.
1
Doug on 22 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:

No idea of their legal status but I've seen signs for 'no refunds on sale items' (or similar) in the past
Tony & Sarah - on 22 Jan 2017
In reply to TRip:
Hi Tom, e-mail us, and I will get back to you with some information

Tony

P.S. Or call me on my mobile
TRip - on 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:

> No idea of their legal status but I've seen signs for 'no refunds on sale items' (or similar) in the past

There was a sign like this in shop I purchased the boots from. I presume it is invalid if the product is defective however?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.