UKC

General aviation and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 19 Jan 2017
With a bit of luck I hope to hold a newly-minted PPL by summer, and I've been mulling ovr the possibility of flying to climb. The obvious example is Lundy - grass airfield, camping, spectacular climbing. Does anyone have any other suggestions for good climbing accessible from a nearby airfield in the UK, ideally in a wild or remote setting that would be difficult to access otherwise?

(Ignoring the practicalities for now - I'm well aware for example of the challenges of Lundy airfield and that flying there as an inexperienced 45 hour PPL would be a poor decision!)
 Toerag 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

You could come to Guernsey - nearest crag is a 15 minute walk from the airport. If you fancied some exploratory new routing Alderney airport is on top of the cliffs, but they're somewhat chossy there.
OP tehmarks 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Fanastic recommendation (and I think Guernsey will be on my list of places to visit regardless of climbing). I'm really not that familiar with the climbing opportunitie in the UK beyond the mainland, so it'll be good to have an 'excuse' to go and explore in the summer.
Rigid Raider 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:
How long to reach Courcheval or Megeve air strip in your plane? Can it carry skis? Will you be offering charters?
Post edited at 14:27
 Toerag 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:
Good-oh. You might be interested in this:-
http://guernseyaeroclub.com/air-rally/?doing_wp_cron=1484931896.68459296226...
...alternatively our club has a climbing festival on august bank holiday weekend (free camping).
If weight is a consideration for you we can lend you ropes / rack etc. www.gmc.org.gg for more info. Get in touch nearer the time, we can probably find someone in the club to 'guide' and/or climb with you - local knowledge saves vital time on a short visit.
 nniff 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Holzen-Ith

The grass landing strip is sauntering distance from the crags.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Holzen-Ith/@51.9595694,9.6552768,14.22z...
OP tehmarks 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Sadly using the French altiports requires a fair amount of extra training - very sensibly! Might struggle to get skis into a PA28 too, and the operating handbook doesn't seem to cover lashing cargo to the fuselage...
OP tehmarks 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Thank you very kindly for the offer; I'll get in touch over the summer if a trip looks likely (and assuming I end up with a license in a timely fashion!)
OP tehmarks 20 Jan 2017
In reply to nniff:

Stretching the idea of 'UK' somewhat but duly noted, and could make a good future plan combined with some other European destinations into a flying climbing holiday.
 gribble 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Lands End airport has some acceptable climbing nearby. The distance to drive there might class it as a remote setting!
OP tehmarks 20 Jan 2017
In reply to gribble:

Thanks; Lands End is already on my list as a group I climb with do an annual trip down to Cornwall every Easter, but it seems like it'd be a pain getting around without a car. Maybe something to combine with their trip so I could blag a lift.
J1234 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

I think I heard a tale of Mick Fowler landing on a beach, Glenbrittle?
 planetmarshall 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Skye?
 d_b 20 Jan 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

A plane and an SLR is a much better tool than a drone for 3D mapping mountain crags...

When I get my laptop working again I might have to grovel for a ride so I can get the 3D topo project moving again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...