UKC

Warming up and cooling down pre/post run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 handofgod 20 Jan 2017

Hi,

I went for a 30 min run with my friend the other day and she spent 15 mins pre and post run warming up and cooling down.
That meant a 30 min run turned into a 1hr run which in the evening when time is tight and its lashing it down, is a little sub-optimal.

I have read differing accounts as to whether warming up pre and post run is worth doing.

I personally rarely warm up but do sometimes warm down with some stretching but never for 15 mins.
That to me seems excessive.

What do others think about warming up and cooling down?

Fortunately,my friends a great training partner and it also helps that she has a lovely bum. Anyway that's probably for a different form discussion.
Post edited at 14:23
 Scarab9 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

A quick stretch is good before though admittedly my warm up tends to be the station the run unless I'm racing. After I should do more, I tend to do some 'casual stretching' which is just stretching out the muscles while I'm in the shower or cooking or whatever after which is bad of me.

15 before and after for a 30min run sounds mad though unless she's really going for it on that run
 The New NickB 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Stretching before a run is pointless, warming up is a good idea, but if you are going for a run, the best warm up is just starting slowly. Warm down is similar, but probably slower, half a mile at not much faster than walking pace. Stretching after is helpful.
 kathrync 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Agree, stretching when you are cold is not helpful, best to do that after a run when you are warm.

I tend to jog the first km or so (or at least until my knees and ankles stop twinging) gently before hitting the pace I want to train at as a warm up, and then walk briskly for about a km at the end to cool off. That makes a 5km run more like 7km, but it certainly doesn't double the time it takes. If I am really pushed for time I will just do this as part of the 5km (probably won't cool off for a whole km in that case).

I stretch regularly anyway (ex-gymnast, it feels weird not to) and for me the most productive times for doing this are after running or after a bath when I am nice and warm. If you want to stretch regularly, after running is a good time to incorporate it into your routine, but don't confuse stretching with cooling off (or warming up) - they are not the same thing.
 Einriba 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I agree with the above. Stretching before hand is pretty much a waste of time. Your muscles are cold and not ready to be stretched.

Start very slowly on the run, and build up over a km or 2. You'll know when you're ready.

Stretching after (IMO) is important. I'll also throw in some planks or press ups as well as part of the cool down.
 DancingOnRock 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:
Yep. Keep first mile nice and slow, then stop and mobilise (dynamic stretching) then do the workout, one mile ease down and finish with static stretches.

If it's a 5k race, three mile warm up with strides, heel flicks, high legs at the end. Then race. One mile cool down and stretches.

It really depends what a half hour run means. If you're just going for a chat paced run I'd not do anything, just run easy and talk.

Post edited at 15:12
 Curry 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Agree with above. Jogging it out for 10-15 minutes then some dynamic stretches beforehand, some light static stretching/mobility afterwards.

I found doing 4 to 6 strides after easy runs and before intervals/harder efforts is beneficial to get the body engaging the muscles. (80-100 metres building to just below full on sprint then jogging down the last 20 metres with a minutes rest in between)
OP handofgod 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Curry:

What are strides?
 The New NickB 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:
> What are strides?

Basically running at a fast pace, not sprinting, but probably faster than your 5k race pace. I would not advise as part of a warm up unless you are warming up before a race and are well warmed up already.
Post edited at 16:03
 dr_botnik 20 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Stretching weakens the soft tissue for about 3 hours if I remember right? So if you stretch prior to excersise you increase risk of injury.
 SouthernSteve 20 Jan 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:

> So if you stretch prior to exercise you increase risk of injury.

A bit of light stretching, particularly dynamic stretching can also help prevent injury. My coach (sounds posh - isn't) recommends calf stretching and hamstring stretching pre-run and I have found this useful. An example of positive evidence for warm up is shown in the Fifa 11+.

More generally if its really cold (freezing) warming up inside on the bike is really useful at stopping that real dead leg feeling of launching into icy conditions.

Dave the Rave 22 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

> Hi,

> I went for a 30 min run with my friend the other day and she spent 15 mins pre and post run warming up and cooling down

> Fortunately,my friends a great training partner and it also helps that she has a lovely bum. Anyway that's probably for a different form discussion.

Perhaps it's foreplay and you're just not quick off the mark?
 DancingOnRock 22 Jan 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:

> Stretching weakens the soft tissue for about 3 hours if I remember right? So if you stretch prior to excersise you increase risk of injury.

Static stretching does.

Dynamic or mobilisations are less aggressive and are basically putting your muscles through the full range of motion that you are expecting to experience. Static stretching is holding the muscle ast it's limit for a few seconds until it loosens and then stretching it a little bit more.
Removed User 23 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Never warmed up in training or before racing. I'm a slow starter anyway so it works for me. No inquiries or ailments to report.

I've now turned into Forest Gump, not fast but I keep right on running.
 Ava Adore 23 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I have heard (but may be urban myth) that women's muscles tend to need warming up and stretching off post-run more than men's do. I do more warming up (but not stretching) before a run now than I used to as I am prone to injury and want to minimise any potential problems. But it's my choice. I'm not advocating it for anyone else. It may well be a waste of your running partner's time but it's her choice and what she's happy with. Leave her to it and perv if you must.
 Bootrock 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Perhaps it's foreplay and you're just not quick off the mark?

Best reply ever. You made me choke on my tea.

I echo all the stuff above. Warm up, then cool down and do your stretches there.

Take it from me, I used to just say warm up is running slower and getting into it. And I hardly ever used to cool down and stretch but as you get older it is harder to do and I require a good warm up and a cool down with stretches. It's good for flexibility too. It doesn't help that my knees, back, shoulders and ankles are stuffed. Even a smally stretch off in the showers.

Take care of your body and it will take care of you.
 jondo 25 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

depends how fast you plan to run.
for a fast run , warming up is important...
otherwise you can warm up by taking it easy for the first mile.
i do not find cool downs very useful.
but i do stretch half a day or a day after, that is important in countering the shortening of muscles particular around the hamstrings.
also stretch the Achilles tendon area.
 summo 25 Jan 2017
In reply to jondo:

> depends how fast you plan to run.
> for a fast run , warming up is important...

I would always do 1-2mile then stretch before embarking on the fast run, efforts etc... if it's just a slow steady 5 miler then I'd keeping plodding on and do all the stretching / cool down at the end. With perhaps a walk for the last 300-400 metres, it doesn't look so flashy (it's easy to be tempted into speeding up when people might see us), but I've passed all that now and would rather avoid injury.
 Curry 25 Jan 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Yup forgot to mention when doing strides before a workout (tempo/hill reps) - only after a few miles of really easy jogging and mobility sets.

At that stage where I have to force myself to do a minimum 3 miles jogging and 5 minutes of dynamic stretches and strides before hard efforts. Warm downs are usually shorter but with light stretching and regular foam rolling afterwards.

Long days in the hills, just start slowly.
OP handofgod 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Your reply made me smile.
Unfortunately, shes not interested in any other type of 'cardio' with me.
She just like to tease me thinks...
 dr_botnik 25 Jan 2017
In reply to summo:

Just out of curiosity, do people count these "warm up" miles in their weekly mileage?

I tend to walk for about 5 minutes before I turn my strava on, then start it when I start a slow jog, but the first mile or two are still pretty much "warming up". Should I be discounting these? Or are people not really analysis about "logging miles".

I'm quite interested as a novice runner. I got my weekly mileage up to about 18 miles before having about 6 weeks off over Christmas with a mix of cold/flu/food poisoning one after the other. Just starting back and taking it easy as still haven't shifted this viral cough, but was ultimately aiming to run the Peak 3 peaks in late April (it's about the same length as a marathon but with serious hills) so was looking to build up to a weekly mileage of 26. Should I be more stringent in not including these "warm up" miles?
 SouthernSteve 25 Jan 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:

I would go for it and include every kind of mile, it'll make applying the 10% increase a week easier from a small base and you won't be inclined to miss your warm up if you are time pressed or getting obsessed with targeting a certain weekly mileage. Running the three peaks is one of my plans in training this year - date undecided. Might see you running past me!
 DancingOnRock 25 Jan 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:

Running is running. You're using the same muscle groups regardless of speed and the most gains are gotten at around 60%-70% of max heart rate so the slower the better.

Walking isn't running, your muscles are firing differently but it's extremely effective for increasing your aerobic capacity.

I'd include running in your mileage but probably not walking. I assume you'll continue walking anyway so the increase in running will be just running.
 summo 26 Jan 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:
> Just out of curiosity, do people count these "warm up" miles in their weekly mileage?

I don't count so specifically now, but I did in the past and would count all running miles, or running time. It's still running or aerobic time, only the pace that varies. Walking I considered to be post run cool down.
Post edited at 08:00
 SouthernSteve 26 Jan 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:

The other thing that struck me about your post is that you are getting your weekly mileage unto 26 miles. I would look at some marathon plans on line and consider changing your aim to being that your long run at the weekend is 17-19 miles which will likely increase you weekly mileage above the 26.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...