UKC

FRI NIGHT VIDEO - Drone vs Climbing Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Jan 2017
Drone vs Climbing Rope, 3 kbHave you ever been at the crag, pumped out of your box, deep in concentration and contemplating the crux moves on your project, when all of a sudden a drone appears above. What seems like hundreds of decibels of a horrendous mosquito-like buzz invade your eardrums. Annoying, sure. But...

Read more
 Valkyrie1968 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Interesting - I didn't realise that Zimpara had joined the UKC staff. It's a particularly baffling choice given the fact that yesterday the BMC published the entries to this year's 'Women in Adventure' competition, all of which are wonderful (and actually show some climbing): https://www.youtube.com/user/teamBMC/videos
Post edited at 17:08
 gethin_allen 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Surely the result was quite obvious, and if a drone were to touch a rope it would be a single strike and then almost immediately it would fall out of the sky.

The bigger threat being if a drone should hit or distract the climber or belayer.
 JEF 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Can you do a video entitled
"What happens if you repeatedly run a Swiss Army Knife across a climbing rope"
it's a question that puzzles many of us.
 SenzuBean 20 Jan 2017
In reply to JEF:

> Can you do a video entitled

> "What happens if you repeatedly run a Swiss Army Knife across a climbing rope"

> it's a question that puzzles many of us.

More pressing is whether poop weakens a climbing rope.

Oh hang on - someone already tested that: http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/does-poop-harm-a-climbing-rope
 Mick Ward 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

"There's still a fair bit of core in there!" A man after my own heart.

Saw my first drone last weekend - at the crag. OK though, we were just having a cleanup. Some kindly souls explained to me what it was.

A bit like viewing the first Dalek in Doctor Who (circa 1964). I absolutely hadn't seen it coming and when it let fly with the famous/infamous, "We will exterminate!!" I nearly crapped myself.

Mick
 leewil86 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Come on guys!
 timjones 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

If this is the best video that you can find then it may be best to drop the idea of trying to find a video to post every week.
 tonanf 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

What a load of rubbish😝
 GarethSL 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

So yesterday a UKC user (natetan) posted a really fun video, which actually contained climbing, that many enjoyed and should be featured... and UKC gives us this? Clickbait from reddit.

Well here it is again: youtube.com/watch?v=WK46LPefevM&

Marco Plebani 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Can anyone spare me 4'33'' and give me the answer?
 DerwentDiluted 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Whats next week? Can the heat generated in a Brexit thread melt dyneema slings?
 stp 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

> Have you ever been at the crag, pumped out of your box, deep in concentration and contemplating the crux moves on your project, when all of a sudden a drone appears above

No. In fact I've never actually seen a drone in real life at all, whether at a crag or anywhere else. So the fear that one might come swooping down into my rope whilst I'm climbing is completely non existent.
 walts4 21 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:

> No. In fact I've never actually seen a drone in real life at all, whether at a crag or anywhere else. So the fear that one might come swooping down into my rope whilst I'm climbing is completely non existent.

The footage that's now been shot using drones is amazing, giving a insight obviously never available before other than by using a helicopter.

However being on a high mountain classic last year & actually having to listen to two drones being used to film what turned out to be outstanding footage, the least of my concerns was having my rope cut by the drone blades. It was the totally intrusive, annoying drone that came & went, obscuring any attempt to communicate & totally destroying the feeling of wilderness or tranquillity that should have been present during the day.
Personally I'd be more concerned about the drone crashing into the rock & falling as debris therefore causing an injury by that means than by actually cutting a rope?
Sure its a high price to pay for the classic footage being made available to satisfy the sponsors & to increase the likes on FB & instagram, maybe the national park's in America have the right idea in banning them?
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I think I need to code up 2 like buttons for that reply
 Olk 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I liked the video. Never seen a drone blade hitting a rope. That's what experiments are for.
 johncook 21 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I doubt that a drone will damage my rope, even if I am hanging from it, and the drone hits it for more than a fraction of a second before it bounces off. What is the problem with drones is that they are bloody annoying, extremely intrusive, often flown by selfish people who do not know that there are rules for flying the annoying things. Maybe if this thread had spelled out the rules for drones in full detail it would have been more useful.
I admit I don't know all the rules about drone flying and filming from them, but there are rules and someone spreading them amongst the general population may help with removing some of the annoyance, or at least enable us to point the error of the drone toy players ways!
 mark s 21 Jan 2017
In reply to johncook:

people dont know about or care about the no fly zones
around the roaches area, all of ramshaw and hen cloud and most of the roaches falls under the military no fly areas. due to the army training area on morridge
 rug 21 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I think you are describing the danger area - which is active by NOTAM only. Flying through it is permitted otherwise.

Matt
 mark s 21 Jan 2017
In reply to rug:

i dont know,it just says no fly zone. my friends drone warns him if he takes it up there so he wont fly it on the roaches
 kermit_uk 22 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

The roaches is owned by the staff wildlife trust and at one of the BMC meets one of their reps said that the policy is a no drone zone for the whole of the roaches. He said if you see anyone flying one feel confident to ask them not to as the owners of the area do not permit it.

I have no idea if the owner of land can control the air space above it but he seemed pretty confident that was the case.

And yes they are loud and irritating but I wouldn't worry about one hitting my rope more stopping me and my belayer communicating properly.

Also the Stuck video was more enjoyable than the 10s of the drone video i bothered to watch.
 mark s 22 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

There must be a drone flier on here who didn't like me pointing out drones are banned over the roaches area.

If one was bothering me I'd lob a brick at it.
 duncandarnell 22 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

You brick someone's £1000 drone just because the noise bothers you and you will surely receive that brick back twice as hard!
 mark s 22 Jan 2017
In reply to duncandarnell:

i doubt it
In reply to mark s:
Why do you doubt that sir? If you're the type of person that damages other peoples property on a whim i'd have thought you would be accustomed to consequences. Or maybe you are just long overdue eating some humble pie, either that or you are double mega hardnut, which i doubt. If you were you wouldn't feel the need to post a pic of you lifting weights as a profile pic haha. Grow up mate
Post edited at 14:25
 mark s 22 Jan 2017

haha
 JohnG 22 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Re. all this stuff about the Roaches. The Staffordshire Wildlife Trust have done a lot to try to make the Roaches Estate a place where the competing interests of climbers, walkers mountain bikers and wildlife can be accommodated. This requires people to make compromises. Bearing in mind that the Roaches is indeed in a "Danger and HIRAT" area, and there are plenty of crags where there are no such restrictions to flying, wouldn't it be nice if drone flyers just accepted that this is a no fly zone. This would also make the Roaches a place where people could enjoy actually climbing instead of seeking to massage their egos by capturing images that they think will impress others.

If a drone is being flown legally it should not be within 50m of people so it's chances of coming into contact with a rope are minimal. However the ease with which something cuts through a climbing rope is dramatically changed when it is loaded by the average 70kg man as opposed to the fairly pointless 11kg that was used in the so called experiment. While one might expect ill-informed comments in the replies I'm not sure that such potentially misleading information should be published by UKC.

Finally to duncandarnell I suspect you may have missed the point of Mark's picture. He's not doing to well with that weight is he? Not sure how grown up Mark claims to be but you might look closer to home for someone to offer such advice.
In reply to JohnG:
Right you are John, my tongue in cheek reply was profoundly immature i know... Im afraid bullys who break other people's things have always hit a nerve with me though. Ill keep out of it next time
Post edited at 15:46
jacksonclimbs 23 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for featuring my video guys.

For those whinging that this isn't a climbing video - click through the video and you'll actually find plenty of climbing footage on my YT page.
jacksonclimbs 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Marco Plebani:

The TLDR is that it doesn't cut the rope, for all practical purposes, a consumer drone won't cut a climbing rope. They are however a risk to cutting a climber from a direct hit.
 Guy Atkinson 23 Jan 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

you're right, this is a much better video
 stp 23 Jan 2017
In reply to JohnG:

>
> Bearing in mind that the Roaches is indeed in a "Danger and HIRAT" area,

What does that mean?

> wouldn't it be nice if drone flyers just accepted that this is a no fly zone. This would also make the Roaches a place where people could enjoy actually climbing instead of seeking to massage their egos by capturing images that they think will impress others.

Interesting. Are there really that many drone flyers there then? They seem so expensive I can't imagine that many people have them and, as above, I've never actually seen one in real life before.

Re the noise: are these things powered by petrol engines then?
jacksonclimbs 24 Jan 2017
In reply to JohnG:

FYI - we discussed the issue of weight, tension on the rope, on reddit, and that led me to do a follow up experiment here - youtube.com/watch?v=ElDtGsT0Fh0&

Drones have been known to go out control of the operator, you can find plenty of youtube footage of that happening - so staying 50m away is no guarantee that it would not impact climber, or rope.
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

The Women in Adventure competition also has a public 'vote' with a cash prize, which goes by video views, so if we were to share one of the videos we would likely 'pick' the winner. We will wait until the end of the competition to share some of them.
 Valkyrie1968 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

That seems entirely fair and well thought-through, but is UKC planning on publicising the competition at all? The BMC have been a bit woeful (i.e. crap) thus far: having just checked, there's one post on Facebook, absolutely nothing on here (save forum users or the competitors themselves sharing individual videos), and a quite hard-to-spot segment on the BMC's website, which I had to scroll past the adverts for insurance to find.
 SteveSBlake 24 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

There must be some paint drying somewhere, I'm off to go and look at it.......

Steve
cb294 24 Jan 2017

Unlikely. Even though I like drinking beer and coffee, doesn´t give me the right to piss against your leg. Drone pilots are the acoustic equivalent of smokers who have this bizarre belief that are entitled to annoy everyone else for their enjoyment.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...