UKC

Why did you join UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petestack 20 Jan 2017
So, following the 'when?' topic at https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=656980 , the question no-one else seems to have answered there because it wasn't asked...

Why did you join UKC?

In my case initially so I could see the full-size photos, though I've obviously made further use of my registration since!
Clauso 20 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

For the weather.
 d_b 20 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

I joined because I had just moved house and was short of climbing partners.
 Skyfall 20 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

To appear in an article by JCT..... fame

Lusk 20 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

I joined so I could see the pictures bigger.
Then I happened to log on one day and saw someone selling a pair of boots I needed at the time, a good purchase it was, and I've been posting bullshit ever since.
 Big Ger 20 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:
Ditto on the images, (I came across the site while looking for images of Pordenack Point in Cornwall.)

But I also found it a great place to discuss issues with Poms, so I stayed..
Post edited at 23:38
 FactorXXX 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

To annoy people with my inane drivel.
 Cobbler 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

So I could receive personal abuse from complete strangers.
 FactorXXX 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Cobbler:

NeilMac has got the willy of a small rodent.
 planetmarshall 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

So I could give personal abuse to complete strangers.
Andy Gamisou 21 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> NeilMac has got the willy of a small rodent.

I've got lots. You have to have a hobby.

FactorXXX 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

I've got lots. You have to have a hobby.

Scotch Bingington has got the willy of a small bird of prey.
Andy Gamisou 21 Jan 2017
LIn reply to FactorXXX:

> I've got lots. You have to have a hobby.

> Scotch Bingington has got the willy of a small bird of prey.

Yes. A kestrel.
 DaveHK 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

To crush others with the awesome power of my intellect.
 Kevster 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

Naively because I climbed and we all have a common interest. I'm now just a member for giggles. There is so little of actual value that the is no point pretending otherwise.
 Trangia 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

Why did I join UKC?

Because I was looking for a forum visited by clear thinking, sensible, articulate, helpful and considerate people, skilled in the art of fair debate where the primary threads were about climbing/mountaineering and it's varied disciplines.
 coinneach 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

have you found one yet?
 ianlaw 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:
To keep a log of my climbs and to look at pretty pictures of future climbs.
Post edited at 08:27
In reply to petestack:

Because uk.rec.climbing was dying a slow death, and the ramblings in my head that pass for a thought process had become used to being let out.

T.
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

There was a sharply critical post about new routes which I'd done (or not done?) I don't think I registered here but replied, giving my name, phone number and an exact time the following Saturday when I'd be at the crag and repeat the most contentious route. To my surprise, none of the critics turned up. Yes, I know... naive or what!

Mick
 stp 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

Not the sole reason but I particularly liked the fact back then that you weren't forced to join and could post anonymously - unlike many other corporate web sites at that time. So a bit of reverse psychology for me. I still rarely join those sites that insist on one giving personal details, and tend to 'blur' my email if I do.

I presume the growth of spam has forced UKC to change it's policy now, which is a shame, but understandable.
 springfall2008 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

Because the logbook is really useful
 Offwidth 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

Classic. Same goes for huge UKC contention on a few BMC peak area issues where I reluctantly (being on the other side of the argument) agreed to raise it and yet no one concerned turned up. Wasn't always bad though... for instance Chris the Tall et al and the BMC democracy issues on the club block vote did get good area meeting support.
 stp 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

Intriguing story Mick. So they doubted that you'd climbed the routes you'd claimed then? Which crag was it?
 deacondeacon 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

I joined for the logbook. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ukc logbooks really are a class above anything else available. They're extremely useful to research where to go climbing, wgat routes to try, what conditions they're in, if it's a chop route. They also get better and better over time with more and more comments added and estimated grades. I see they have an option for videos as well as photos now, although it doesn't seem to have been promoted much (the peakbouldering website was really good for videos).
It's also great to see what your mates have been up to, and where they've been.
 Doug 21 Jan 2017
As I said, I migrated here from a former site that closed, but I joined that just after I moved to France partly to keep up with the news from back home, but also for some chat/light hearted discussion in English while working in a French speaking office
 Shani 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

> Why did you join UKC?

To lure pedant's.
In reply to Shani:

> To lure pedant's.

I wont bight.
 Fraser 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

Tips, tricks, banter and self-education.
 thermal_t 21 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:

> Intriguing story Mick. So they doubted that you'd climbed the routes you'd claimed then? Which crag was it?

Likewise intrigued as to the back story on this!
 Wainers44 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

> Why did you join UKC?

I was at a real low point. I had tried hanging around the Sticklebarn, but I just kept getting parking tickets. I tried finding like minded people to talk to on Dartmoor, but there was no one flipping there, and despite what the charge sheet says I was only talking to that sheep about grit.

I am better now, stronger, and am able to bore a really wide range of outdoor folk now, about loads of interesting stuff; what I put in my sandwiches, how thick my socks are, why I only use a figure of eight and not a granny knot.

Thanks UKC, you saved my life.
 scott titt 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:
To publicise a scrub clearing session at the top of the Boulder Ruckle Boulder Ruckle. Needs doing again!

Shani 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

You win. I loose!
OP petestack 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Shani:

> You win. I loose!

Nice! But I think you won because anyone replied at all, even knowingly...
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

Great!

Mick
 Shani 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:
That's got me thinking, what is the oldest trope on UKC still actively referenced?

E0? Airplanes & treadmills? Loose vs lose? Owls? DJ Viper?
Post edited at 21:40
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2017
In reply to thermal_t and stp:

I'll be as tactful as possible.

In 2001 I moved from Sheffield to Portland. The following year, in frustration at there being no-one with whom to climb (a lull period), I started bolting new lines. Someone on here asked about one and back came a vitriolic response about another - Valerian, on Blacknor. Was it death on a stick? And had I climbed it (them?)

Well the FA of Valerian (F5/6a ffs!) took about ten minutes (it's a long route) My belayer did the second ascent (another ten minutes). After the fracas on here, I went back and did the third ascent (another ten minutes).

A while after, there was a suggestion that I'd had a part in chipping a hold on a F7b. I replied that I'd never chipped a hold in my life and never would and had done circa 70 F7bs - and quite a few harder. So... really!?

Now reading this, you may well feel it's all a bit trivial. But it isn't trivial if it's your integrity on the line. As ole Gaston Rebuffat noted, climbing is all about integrity.

Having lived in Yorkshire for over a quarter of a century, I was used to people saying things to your face. And I'd rather it that way. What I found odd down here was people being friendly on the crag and then criticising on here. I don't think that's hypocrisy (I did once!) just a dislike of confrontation.

I think in the end the locals realised I was honest, I was harmless, I was over 50 (even then!) and I couldn't care less about making a name for myself. But I think, in the beginning, it was a case of new kid(!) on the block.

Hopefully ancient history now. Life's too short to carry grudges. But I remember when the late Chris Brasher was (incorrectly) vilified about taking bribes for the London Marathon - as if he would - he made a marvellous comment (can't remember the exact wording) that your good name was sacroscanct. And that's how I feel.

If I fail on a route, it's because I was too weak/old/didn't try hard enough. Chipping holds and/or making up stuff are not options - and never will be.

Rant over!

Mick

bouldery bits 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Shani:

> That's got me thinking, what is the oldest trope on UKC still actively referenced?

> E0? Airplanes & treadmills? Loose vs lose? Owls? DJ Viper?

Owls I think?

Shani 21 Jan 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Owls I think?

E0 must be a close run 2nd.
 jcw 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

Hoping for some serious discussion if Alpine climbing. Sadly disappointed and those who used to contribute have continually fallen away.
 UKB Shark 21 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:

To find a partner to do the Nose in a day.

No takers.

Then asked if there was any reason why I shouldn't take the chockstone out of Right Eliminate. That got a few more responses
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2017
In reply to ukb shark:

> To find a partner to do the Nose in a day.

> No takers.

Clearly you were in the wrong room!

> Then asked if there was any reason why I shouldn't take the chockstone out of Right Eliminate. That got a few more responses

It sure did - and, when you removed it, a load of folk (including the infamous Gang of Four) who should have had the good grace to apologise.

Mick
 Greenbanks 22 Jan 2017
In reply to petestack:
I joined to learn more about top roping, gathering beta on Todys Wall, learning more about grade inflation and getting familiar with a load of new terms - like "Trad", "Sport", "Topping Out" and "On the Lead".
I'd be lost without this newly acquired repertoire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...