UKC

A day in the clouds at the roaches...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 21 Jan 2017
While most climbers looked at the forecast today and decided to stay inside, we sat in the roaches tearoom and looked up at the skyline, we were ready. After a somewhat cold but enjoyable walk up through the roaches to the skyline we arrived at the Alpha Buttress for the headpoint of San Melas, after unpacking the bags we realise disaster had struck, there was no flask of tea! Despite this cockup we were undeterred from the goal. Rich top roped it a few times to get the beta dialled and then pressed on for the lead. After dispatching this route we moved onto prelude to space and the real goal, wings of unreason. Even though the foothold has now broken off (whoever did this deserves a good kicking) I managed the start and after a couple of attempts at the top dyno (I'm 5"6) I had it wired. This is definitely on for next time I'm at the roaches.

So the question I really wanted to ask UKC today was, is gravy acceptable on chips?
 alan moore 21 Jan 2017
In reply to dinodinosaur:

> , is gravy acceptable on chips?

Yes, but you might want to have a practice go first.

OP dinodinosaur 21 Jan 2017
In reply to alan moore:

Headpointing at your top grade is a legitimate ethic
 webbo 21 Jan 2017
This is the Rich who is having dig at someone because they use jamming gloves and has to head point E3.
In reply to webbo:

Well before you start slating us, what have you done on the grit?
 webbo 21 Jan 2017

How long have you got.
 bouldery bits 21 Jan 2017
In reply to webbo:

> This is the Rich who is having dig at someone because they use jamming gloves and has to head point E3.

Brutal.
In reply to webbo:

All night baby...
 webbo 21 Jan 2017

Would you like crag by crag list as it might get a bit tedious having done a 100 routes in a day on Stange when it felt too hot to do anything hard
Would Goosey Goosey, Old Friends, Calvary, Censor do to get you started and as for baby, maybe you need to grow up or grow some.
In reply to webbo:

Maybe if you weren't private on UKC we could all see your 100 diffs in a day #jussayin
 webbo 21 Jan 2017
So you think the 4 I mentioned are vdiff you are some hero. Done them?

In reply to webbo:

No but I'll crack the top rope out tomorrow :P
 webbo 21 Jan 2017

There's a picture of you on Flying Butress how come you need a rope if your such a rock cougar.
 kez1 21 Jan 2017
In reply to webbo:

> There's a picture of you on Flying Butress how come you need a rope if your such a rock cougar.

Ukc stalker alert
In reply to webbo:

I was just doing my bit for the community and leading it so the kids from the orphanage could second me up it
 webbo 21 Jan 2017

Sorry I apologise I didn't realise you were part of care in the community.
 andi turner 21 Jan 2017
That foothold on Wings disappeared one day after some folk tried to lead it when it was damp.

Worth remembering that cloudy/ damp days aren't the best for grit, unless you want a kicking???
 kez1 22 Jan 2017
In reply to andi turner:
It wasn't damp in the slightest, cloudy yes, but not damp.
Didn't realise there were rules on when you can climb or not.

OP dinodinosaur 22 Jan 2017
In reply to andi turner:

As kez replied the rock was bone dry yesterday, as I've never heard of this phenomenon before I feel like it should be more widely known if its true to help prevent the further snapping of holds on classic routes. And yes if I snapped a hold off through negligence I would deserve a kicking.
 andi turner 22 Jan 2017
In reply to kez1:

There's no rules. You can place bolts if you want, but it won't win you many friends.

Climbing porous rock when it is damp is a bad idea, it is much more likely to break.

I saw the footlhold start to break about three years ago, it seemed like a dry day, but the rock was damp under it's skin. The person in question fell off the top move and swung into the rock a bit and the foothold crumbled a little, it's then wore away as more people use it.

I can introduce to the person in question if you'd like?

In reply to andi turner:

I hope you realise the kicking comment was meant tongue in cheek as was the whole post just look at the last sentence... By all means send him link to this thread so he can weigh in on the discussion
In reply to webbo:

> This is the Rich who is having dig at someone because they use jamming gloves and has to head point E3.

E3? I thought San Melas was V2
 tmawer 22 Jan 2017

I wonder if you are getting a hard time here as the post seems a little too self congratulatory for our British understated taste? Sounds like you had a great time on a less than perfect day, which is always a bonus.
Only one person has actually answered my question, is gravy acceptable on chips...
 wilkie14c 22 Jan 2017
it seems every contributor to thread has missed the real issue here, the OP puts tea in a flask! dirty bastard
Post edited at 11:42
 bouldery bits 22 Jan 2017

Gravy is acceptable on chips.

Stop being weird.
 Wayne S 22 Jan 2017

I was climbing at the Roaches all day Saturday and it was bitter cold and damp. I think on behalf of all UKC we need to offer our congratulations, you were indeed a brave little soldier. I think practicing the route till you got it wired was the safe thing to do. What fools grade these things for the on-sight anyway?
In reply to Wayne S:
Is no one getting the point of this post... :')
Post edited at 19:07
 Wayne S 22 Jan 2017

Unfortunately between this and being disrespectful to visiting climbers I am most probably "getting" it. But please tell me your point, if it's not just wanting a fragile little ego stroking?
 Valkyrie1968 22 Jan 2017

No, we get it - you came on here to brag. The issue is simply that few people are impressed by mid-grade headpointing, even fewer people are impressed by bragging about mid-grade headpointing, and practically no one is impressed by calling someone else "weak" for using crack climbing gloves on the same day that you've bragged about mid-grade headpointing - especially considering the hypocrisy of your whining about damage to the rock when you yourself were climbing on a damp day.
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

Excellent well now sherlock Holmes has solved the mystery, UKC can go back to being a serious place of strong ethics where no one can headpoint or make jokes :') well done UKC you have successfully fed the trolls, I shall retire back under my bridge until the keyboard warriors need provoking again, good day to you!
 caradoc 04 Feb 2017

I liked your little account, not sure about the gravy thing. The response you got is why the climbing forum has deteriorated over recent years. Troll baiting or not, it's typical.

Offwidth 04 Feb 2017
In reply to caradoc:
Normally I'd agree, but not in this case: a Roaches BMC access rep hasn't converted to troll. Just maybe the OP is part of the problem.. smug use of rock as a consumable. I get the naive enthusiasm but lots of great grit problems and some routes are being trashed by people trying to climb them in less than ideal style, in poor conditions.

.. and keep the dislikes coming (part of why I'd normally agree) these reps give up their time for free to help keep the crags open and to do things like work out ways of stabilising rock damaged from when climbed wet (like Newstones starting footholds).
Post edited at 11:47
 deepsoup 04 Feb 2017
In reply to caradoc:
Also, for context, it's worth a quick look at the other thread from the same little group of absolute charmers posted the same day: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=657152
 defaid 04 Feb 2017

Not acceptable. Essential. Chips & gravy should be a staple of everyone's diet. Especially if it's lumpy chip-shop gravy. Shame about the tea though. If you'd brought that with you, you'd have had a proper balanced diet with all three main food groups: sugar, fat and unidentified squishy-bits.

From the perspective of a 4b to 4c (on a good day) climber, I applaud your 5c & 6a -- practice, top-rope or clean. On the other hand, as one who hasn't ventured onto grit since he was at school (dipping the quill into the ink-pot on the corner of the desk), are the comments about wet grit being more friable true or is that just one that went over my head?

D
 Offwidth 04 Feb 2017
In reply to defaid:
The gritstone surface reacts with the air and lichens and forms a harder layer. The matrix underneath is much softer (something known for a long ... since the rock is easier to work on a fresh surface.. eg when making millstones .. that then need to weather again to recover surface hardness). All sandstones become more friable when the matrix is damp.. a very important reason to avoid soft sandstones after rain. http://www.lvclimberscouncil.org/climbing-after-rain

The problem on grit is at its worse on softer varieties when the surface has gone (eg Newstone.. Bridestones)... erosion is much faster then, especially if the matrix is damp. Generally even on undamaged gritstone its hard to keep shoes clean when the rock is wet and sandy shoes trash rock.
Post edited at 13:04
 defaid 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Oh! Thank you. It seems even I am not too old to learn...

D
 Timmd 04 Feb 2017
In reply to kez1:
> It wasn't damp in the slightest, cloudy yes, but not damp.

> Didn't realise there were rules on when you can climb or not.

There aren't, but there's ways to best look after the rock.

Heaven knows why people seem to phrase things so disagreeable on here, though, along the lines of 'worth remembering....unless you want a kicking'. It might get people to go away in everyday life, but it rarely makes people listen.

Unlike Offwidth's post above, which is the epitome of informative and polite.
Post edited at 15:54
 Offwidth 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Timmd:
The 'kicking' bit was in direct response to the similar (unknowingly ironic) quote in the OP. Andi has lived a climbing life on the Roaches and it's easy to see why emotive responses are likely, to such apparently lazy, slow destructiveness. He is a full-on gritstone hero and part of the growing ignorance of UKC these days is that only a small fraction of the site will have the faintest idea who he is.
Post edited at 16:35
 Timmd 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
I think I've just been pondering recently, how the thing we're told about social media is that it can dehumanise people so that it's easier to be brusque (or more).

It suddenly struck me, that with how it's generally other humans who push our buttons, that could make it easier to be civil, too, if a couple of mins is taken to phrase things before posting. In theory it can work both ways if we want it to.

I probably haven't the faintest idea who a lot of climbers are, but I seem to have absorbed what the right thing to do is, I think that's probably the crux of keeping climbing how we would like it to be.
Post edited at 16:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...