UKC

north ridge scramble tryfan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PadreTed 22 Jan 2017
Morning all. Got a free day this week. Thought I might scramble Tryfan on Friday, any body been up recently? Is there much ice? My partner and I are confident scramblers but we haven't done much in winter time. Any tips appreciated.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jan 2017
In reply to PadreTed:

We were on Atlantic Slabs on Saturday, which has the same aspect but takes more drainage, and there was no sign of anything even vaguely resembling ice. There were a few tiny snow patches, but all were easily avoidable and despite temperatures being below freezing, they were all soft.

Conditions could well be different on Tryfan of course, and someone died on Bristly Ridge at the weekend (no idea of the circumstances)
 99ster 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Conditions could well be different on Tryfan of course, and someone died on Bristly Ridge at the weekend (no idea of the circumstances)

Tragic: https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/01/22/man-dies-after-fall-from-brist...
 shaymarriott 24 Jan 2017
In reply to 99ster:

Very sad news. I went up the same scramble on Bristly Ridge about an hour earlier. Conditions were perfect despite a reasonable wind, having a great time etc. - until we saw the helicopter winching a stretcher up from the gully we'd just finished. Kudos to OVMRT as usual and condolences to the family and friends of the poor climber. Really puts things in perspective.
PadreTed 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thank you for the post. Work prevented me from going in the end. Much appreciated though.
PadreTed 30 Jan 2017
In reply to shaymarriott:

It does put things in perspective. Thank you for the post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...