UKC

Tree climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adi bryant 22 Jan 2017
Can you think of any climbs that specifically require some sort of tree climbing?
Oak Tree Walk at Agden Rocher is one I've done a couple of times and having to move up through the branches actually adds to the joy of climbing this route in my opinion. I can remember laughing almost too hard whilst wobbling on top of the small Yew tree on North Crag Eliminate at Castle Rock in the Lakes a long time ago.
Are there any more arboreal adventures I can try?
 wintertree 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Christmas Tree Arete at Kyloe Out has a finish that gets very cosy with a tree, but no tree climbing is required. It's a very arboreal place however.
Post edited at 11:40
 DamonRoberts 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:
Meat and Two Veg at High Rocks? Gets Font 6B in the Jingo Wobbly guidebook for the area.

http://i.imgur.com/SnyfgCW.jpg
Post edited at 12:41
OP adi bryant 22 Jan 2017
In reply to DamonRoberts:

That's definitely on the list! Quarryman moves using an Oak Tree.. What's not to love?
OP adi bryant 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Snot:

Great. I've been ordered to meet up with an old climbing mate for some climbing around there so they'll hopefully get done this summer.
 David Jones 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Plenty at Tremadog
 deacondeacon 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:
Suicide wall at Cratcliffe climbs up a tree for the start, then if you do it in two pitches you. Get to share a cave with another big tree.

C Witter 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Tree Root (f4+) - At Woodwell there's a HS that back and foots between the rock and a large tree (I think it's an ash).

At Shepherd's Crag,Jackdaw Ridge (D) has an optional back and foot tree, which comes in handy. There is also (though I've not yet climbed it) the "arborial corner" of Brown Slabs Crack (VS 4c) - though I think the tree roots just provide pro!

At Lower Falcon Crag, Hedera Grooves (VS 4c) involves climbing through the prickles of a stout holly, which many also use as a belay ledge. Leaving the tree is the crux!

Finally, you get extra points for climbing Lone Tree Groove (S 4a) without using the poor tree as a handhold; whilst other, less climbed, routes at Warton involve struggling through trees (and gorse) at the top...

I always love reaching a good tree - when you're gripped out of your mind, there's nothing better than wrapping yourself around a stout one, slinging it and having a breather!
In reply to adi bryant:

I can remember some classic crux somewhere where you stepped straight off some bouncy branch onto the crux, but I can't remember for the life of me where it was. Anyone any ideas?
 John Kelly 22 Jan 2017
In reply to C Witter:
East Raven
Through the holly and out on to the arete

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=6706
Post edited at 18:06
 David Jones 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Hogmanay Hangover?
 C Witter 22 Jan 2017

Any clues?
In reply to David Jones:

> Hogmanay Hangover?

Could have been

But, seriously, I think it may have been something on Castle Rock (Triermain), or in Borrowdale.
In reply to adi bryant:

Android at Chapel Head Scar, though I think the bendy tree has now disappeared....

Was it Android at Chapel Head Scar?
 Fruit 22 Jan 2017

Didn't Silly Arête used to start off a tree?
In reply to Christheclimber:

No, I've never climbed there.
In reply to Fruit:

> Didn't Silly Arête used to start off a tree?

That's possible, but I failed on SA. But what about Suicide Wall at Cratcliffe, top pitch? Could it have been that?
 Kevster 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Humanality at tonsai. First pitch is a tree. Or was a tree, not sure if it's still there.
Some of the easier multipitch routes at Wintours are basically climbing tree roots up a steep hill.
There is also a tree half way up the 7a sport multi pitch on GO wall at Wintours, which makes the bolts redundant as it sort of catches you as you fall through it. More of a tree spotter than on route tho.
 The Ivanator 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

There's an existing UKC ticklist for this kind of shenanigans https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=119 (most have already cropped up in this thread).
 Tom Last 22 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Raiders of the Lost Bark, on the culm.
 C Witter 22 Jan 2017

If in Borrowdale, maybe it was the route I mentioned - Hedera Grooves (VS - used to be MVS) on Lower Falcon Crag? You zig zag up the crag - left and right and back left - to a holly tree where most belay; its branches are quite big and bouncy, and you end up stood right on tree, hoping it won't collapse. Above that is some steep jug pulling up a crack, then a traverse up and left to the top of the crag. Two wandering pitches. Great climb!
 Shani 22 Jan 2017

Requiem at Cratcliffe (IIRC)?
 Martin Bennett 23 Jan 2017

> I can remember some classic crux somewhere where you stepped straight off some bouncy branch onto the crux, but I can't remember for the life of me where it was. Anyone any ideas?

I'd guess that'd be North Crag Eliminate at Castle Rock of Triermain. If you went back to do it today you'd have a lot more to worry about than a bendy tree for a foothold!
In reply to Martin Bennett:

No, I never did that either (though loads of others on Castle Rock). I think Petros at Avon is the most likely suggestion so far.

It is such a long time since I did North Crag Eliminate that the *only* thing I remember about it is the spindly, bendy tree. What is the news BTW on the upper part of the crag? - I thought it was meant to have fallen down by now
 Babika 23 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

There's a descent route at Chudleigh that has some magnificent tree root downclimbing!

My partner described it as "like something out of Middle Earth" and kept hollering with excitement
In reply to John Stainforth:

> It is such a long time since I did North Crag Eliminate that the *only* thing I remember about it is the spindly, bendy tree. What is the news BTW on the upper part of the crag? - I thought it was meant to have fallen down by now

To my knowledge, nothing has fallen down so far, so it's still in 'an extremely dangerous condition'.
 JackM92 23 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Used quite a few tree branches on Loose Woman at Blackchurch. And on the top pitch the best holds are the saplings and small gorse bushes. As the rock crumbles away upon touching it.
 Dave Williams 23 Jan 2017
In reply to JackM92:

Over the years I've done quite a bit of climbing on splendidly loose rock, including a few FAs. As I recollect Loose Woman was anything but, being disappointingly solid IMHO.

Anyway, back to proper tree climbing: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=93951

The first pitch basically climbs a tree, which. I thought was absolutely desperate. The crux pitch that followed was merely hard in comparison. Seemingly the tree has rebuffed one or two notable climbers over the years.
 Max factor 23 Jan 2017

This one on the RHS of shepherds? Balance at the top of the tree, gain the slabby wall above the overhang and then I remember some mild but bold climbing.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=7584
OP adi bryant 23 Jan 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

Thanks. I discovered that in an earlier reply but there does seem to be many more around to gibbon about on which can only be good for the soul when the leaves are out.
In reply to David Jones:

Ah but which ones there do you really have to climb up at least part of a tree?
 SenzuBean 23 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

This climb has the best tree I've ever belayed in, with a stunning view to boot: Bitter Battle Tears (HVS 5a)
In reply to deacondeacon:

Nice one ta. I remember walking into a tree and then most of the way down from halfway up Cratcliffe somewhere near Giants Staircase once.
 SuperLee1985 24 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:
Axeover https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=184281 at Tremadog.
Tree Crack https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=36966 at Rivelin.

How do I do the links properly like all you guys have?
Post edited at 08:30
 salix 24 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

In Loving Memory (E6 6b) and Summer Days (E3 5c) at upper cave, Dunkeld. You get to take a rest on the ILM tree on the girdle The Pied Piper (E3 5c).
OP adi bryant 24 Jan 2017
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Thanks.
I don't know either n it's a right pain.
OP adi bryant 24 Jan 2017
In reply to salix:

Wow yep they're in except I reckon ILM is beyond me atm and is the true climb of that great pine not just a belay.
I like a good fight with a Holly tree..
 Mark Kemball 24 Jan 2017
In reply to SuperLee1985:

When you reply, above your message box there is an "insert climb link", type the name of the climb in there...
 Iain Thow 25 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

There's a route on Cader Idris, low down above Tal y Llyn, called Ape Route (VD). It's 4 pitches and every noun in the 1980s guidebook description either had the word "vegetated" in front of it or was a tree. Basically climbing from tree to tree for 250 ft. Couldn't persuade any of my mates to do it.
OP adi bryant 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Iain Thow:

Nice one thanks . Seems like my mates are thankfully stupider/ more easily lied to. Not got the guide for there.. Which one is it in?
 Morty 25 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Was The Prow at Raven Tor ever started from a tree? Maybe I'm thinking of another route there.
 Iain Thow 25 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:
I saw it in the Dolgellau area guide belonging to a club I used to be in (all of whom refused to be tempted). Out of print now. It's not in the 1988 Mid Wales one, might be in the current Meirionydd one? Or maybe the writers decided it would only appeal to the seriously deranged?😊
Post edited at 22:57
 Ann S 29 Jan 2017

You might be thinking of The Barbican (VS) left side of Castle Rock, which requires a definite climb up into a large ash and then stepping off it onto the crux traverse. Unlikely to get many visits now as it lies well under the threatened part of the crag. When I seconded it I should have had a machete for leading the second pitch.
 jon 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Morty:

> Was The Prow at Raven Tor ever started from a tree? Maybe I'm thinking of another route there.

Prow, Body Machine and Indecent Exposure. Its demise is still a mystery, as far as I know.
 springfall2008 29 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

That Historic Reach (4c) is a bit of a laugh, very easy!
 Allovesclimbin 29 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Good thread. My favourite is pitch four of Miner's Girdle on Miner's Crag in Newlands. " Abseil off a spike and pendulum into the holly tree on the right ".
Awesome
 Pids 30 Jan 2017
 Fredt 30 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

I recall, in the 1970's, reaching the top of the first pitch of Evasor at Stoney, to find Keith Myhill sitting in the tree belaying someone on the second pitch.
 Simon Caldwell 30 Jan 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

> There's an existing UKC ticklist for this kind of shenanigans https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=119 (most have already cropped up in this thread).

I think I've added the others now - anything I've missed?
They need to be trees that are actually part of the climb, not trees that just get in the way or are used for gear.
 Mr. Lee 30 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant:

Or i rogn (n5+) in Telemark, Norway is graded for a full bear hugging tree start for the first few metres.

In reply to Mark Kemball:

Doh...... cheers as I've also been wondering how to insert climb links..............
 Michael Hood 30 Jan 2017
In reply to adi bryant: There used to be a 2nd pitch (or alternative finish) to Dead Banana Crack (E1 5c) @Stoney where you stood on a "tree" in (or just above) the Froth break to get onto the upper wall. It is demised now so the 2nd pitch is no longer described.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...