UKC

Toddler Friendly Peak District Walks - are there any??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MinniePopps 22 Jan 2017

Hello all,

I really enjoy walking in and around the Peak District but having had a daughter 3 1/2yrs ago, it hadn't featured much in my life during that time. I either found routes too difficult, too long (you can't time a nappy change or feed very well!), too exposed and so on.
I would really like to get back into it but obviously with a 3 1/2yr old i'm quite limited. Also, a toddlers legs do not travel that far before wanting to be carried! She can, depending on her mood and if there is anything of interest around, can manage around a mile to a mile and a half at a push. We are now pushchair free too. She is also a bit too big and heavy for the child carriers.
I'd really like to introduce her to the great outdoors as I feel it rather important in this day and age more than ever.
So, does anyone know of any, small peak walks that can be quickly accessed (e.g. not too far from parking up), flat-ish or little hills where I could probably carry her part way if needs be? Small loop walks etc.
We've done all the reservoirs and trails that were pushchair accessible and tbh, as nice as they are, I'm somewhat bored of seeing them!
Thanks in advance
Post edited at 14:27
Removed User 22 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

Win Hill from Yorkshire Bridge. Has a woodland start, streams open hillside and a few scrambly bits at the summit.
 d_b 22 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

Mam Tor would be an obvious one, although you wouldn't want to let her run around at the top.

Shutlingsloe from the Langley side would be an option if you have a child carrier. There is plenty of walking around in the woods low down if she doesn't fancy going all the way to the top.

Removed User 22 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:
Beresford Dale is very nice, flat water meadow leading onto a path. http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/beresfordandwolfscotedales.htm you can park usually a 100 yards from the start.
Post edited at 15:12
 CarbonCopy 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:
The walk up the hill above Millstone edge was a good option we found. Not too long to tire them out and could have a clamber on the rocks to break up the walk.
 radar 22 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

There's a nice little circuit in Hayfield, start in the village, through the park, up Valley Road (all the time looking for the remains of the 'lost railway', the tramway used during the construction of Kinder reservoir, I'm sure you can pop some Thomas references in) to the campsite, left over the bridge then head towards the reservoir. Loop back on yourself then return on Kinder Road with a lunch stop at the Sportsman then back into the village.

Used to do that regularly with my 4. Just the right length, things to look for, some up, some down, mainly flat. Plus a pub at the end
 Monk 22 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:
Other suggestions are all good (although I suspect Win hill will involve more carrying than walking). I've always rated the burbage Valley as a good spot with loads of options and bail outs depending on how the day goes and plenty of rocks to play on. Higgar tor can be short and fun, for example. On the west side, Teggs nose is good (and has a trail to find letters) and there are some nice walks to be had around the roaches.
Post edited at 19:05
 GrahamD 22 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

Doesn't get much better than Dovedale (especially with the stepping stones)
 alasdair19 23 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

Our regular walk is from the plantation car park at stanage in the edge via. A scramble for little legs in the r then back down the path lots of interest boukders and caves to explore and usually only a little carrying.
 Siward 23 Jan 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

Second that.
In reply to GrahamD:

> Doesn't get much better than Dovedale (especially with the stepping stones)

Aren't they out of action still ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-38220379

TWS

stubbed 23 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

My 3 year old can manage about 3 miles and up hills too. Start with a mile or so and work up to more by going regularly. My tips would be:
- Try to go with other children, this really encourages them to run ahead and play (I have a son 18 months older)
- Try going flatter but taking a bike or balance bike for them to keep up
- Walking is very much start and stop for little ones. We rest little & often to look at things
- Invent games as you go along: it's hard work, but we do fireman sam rescues, finding the faraway tree, looking for dens / animals, see who can find the most worms, etc
- Everyone has to find a stick and tie with string interesting leaves and things to it so by the end you have a momento
- Take a little tub to catch beetles and snails etc in and release on the way back
- Binoculars to look at things far away
- Take bribes (sweets / stickers) for when you get desperate to get to the next tree
In reply to stubbed:

> - Take bribes (sweets / stickers) for when you get desperate to get to the next tree

Best advice of the thread. Skittles were a lifesaver when mine were small. OK, you might want to substitute for banana or strawberries if you dont approve, but I really like skittles. Sorry, I meant my daughter really likes skittles.

In reply to MinniePopps:

Park for free in Birchover (pubs & loos) and walk to Nine Ladies stone circle. Beautiful place, rocks to play on, old quarries to explore, trig point to find, not too hilly and there's a stone circle to admire.
 rj_townsend 24 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

Lathkilldale has enough to keep them interested. Caves to look at, old mine workings, streams, picnic spot by the river, geocaches etc. Circular walk from Over Haddon.
MinniePopps 27 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post, it is very much appreciated. All great ideas (and bribes!).

I've printed the lot off, looked at maps etc and have some great days planned out in the very near future. I've also passed over some ideas to my parents who are still, into their sixties now, very keen peak walkers and will on possible occasions take the little one out too.

Again, thank you very much to everyone.
 RockAngel 28 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:
There's a pack of 10 booklets designed and written by a child and her peak district ranger parent. Each booklet is a different walk and encourages the child to read and navigate. It's called 'Making Tracks'. Longest walk is 6 miles I think and has lots of things to look out for on the walk.

Think there is also a 'peak district walks with children' book that should have lots of easier walks.
Post edited at 18:29
 jonfun21 28 Jan 2017
In reply to MinniePopps:

Walk along the top of frogatt edge (car park nearby etc) one afternoon and that worked well, lots to see and do plus they could watch some climbing which the older one was fascinated by.

Also second lathkill dale lots to keep the interest up.

We found a "day" of walking followed by a day on the back of our bikes on the trails worked well with our 3 and 1 year old (in bag pack for walking)...will see in a month or so whether this continues to hold true now they are 4 and 2

Chatsworth estate is good for taking a buggy and/or balance bike/scooter around

Some good stuff here but you may beyond buggy stage

http://www.walkswithbuggies.com/info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...