UKC

Scottish advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dking02 22 Jan 2017
Hi, asking for a bit of advice, tip and your ideas.
I'm 14 do indoor climbing weekly and get out to snowdonia a couple times a year. Im going to try and do more this year all over and want to see your suggestions for a possible trip in oct. My family and I are going to Kilmarnock in October. I want to try a 4000ft but my family wouldn't come as i would be wild camping and always go with my grandad to snowdonia ect.I was thinking of then getting a train to a 4000 and going up wildcamping and coming back over about 3/4 days. Im guessing it would be foolish of me to attempt Ben Nevis or other of the like on my own, what are your suggestions on what I do to try and have this trip go ahead safely. Thanks
 skog 22 Jan 2017
In reply to dking02:

> getting a train to a 4000 and going up wildcamping and coming back over about 3/4 days. Im guessing it would be foolish of me to attempt Ben Nevis or other of the like on my own

It depends very much on the weather, and your ability to deal with it if it's poor. And on your fitness, of course!

If you get a settled good spell, there's no reason you couldn't get all nine of the 4000-footers done over 4 days using public transport; if it's storms and blizzards it might be a bad idea to do any of them. In October, it could easily do either of these things.

The Western group of 4000-footers is probably more forgiving in mixed weather, so perhaps plan to head to Fort William and see what it's like, with several plans ready for what to do in different circumstances? You'd do well to have fall-back options, in case smaller hills make more sense at the time, so that you still get something worthwhile out of the trip. Maybe have a look at things you can do from bothies, too - they can be more pleasant than camping.
 Dave the Rave 22 Jan 2017
In reply to dking02:

I would doubt that you have sufficient mountain experience in map and compass and generally how to look after yourself( unless you're not telling us that you're an orienteer or something).
A few trips to Snowdonia a year won't give any hill fitness and having a 14 yr old myself, you may lack in stamina despite having other fitness.
Not wanting to deter you just make you aware.
A good 2/3 day plan given excellent weather, may be train to Aviemore. Walk into Corrour bothy. Not difficult to nav but a true hill day in itself. Use the bothy as a back up to wildcamping and hopefully for company and people to look out for you.
Then if the weathers still good, go up Cairn Toul and possibly Braeriach. Down to the bothy. Walk out next day?
I can't imagine as a parent I would be overly happy with my daughter doing this on her own though.
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Why the dislike? Not that I'm bothered.
Seems like a rational plan. Care to discuss?
Convince me it's not a good plan.

Personally I think it's a troll post, but why deter someone if they're genuine ?
Post edited at 20:12
OP dking02 22 Jan 2017
I'd say im fit enough to do it on my list is:
190mile bike ride (4 days)
35mile hike with 10kg pack (2days) x 2
20 mile 850m ascent 14 kg pack (3days)
1/2 years indoor climbing experience evrery week plus a climing leader/course certificate
whats your opinion though
Post edited at 20:57
 Billhook 22 Jan 2017

At 14 I was fit enough to walk the lyke wake walk across the NYM (40 miles in less than 24 hrs) and it was pissing down and only using a 1" map. I also think at that age I'd gone on a couple of school trips to the Scottish highlands and cannot recall the hill walking particularly difficult.

I do agree that OP's nav needs pointing out that it needs to be pretty good for Scotland on your own.
 Nbrain 22 Jan 2017
In reply to dking02:

As others have said if the weather is good then no reason to not get up any of the big hills. If using public transport then Glen Coe and fort William are easy to get to and loads of places to stay! If your not confident with your navigation then big hills aren't the place to be in crap weather. Try and go out with some other people. I'm sure there will be someone on here that would join for a trip up a hill or try some of the other forums. It might be worth doing something a bit easier to get to and a shorter day like the cobbler. Why on Earth are you going to Kilmarnock anyway? Arran is just across the water -'d well worth a couple of days walking/climbing but no 4000ft hills.
In reply to Dave Perry:

> At 14 I was fit enough to walk the lyke wake walk across the NYM (40 miles in less than 24 hrs) and it was pissing down and only using a 1" map. I also think at that age I'd gone on a couple of school trips to the Scottish highlands and cannot recall the hill walking particularly difficult.

Yeah. But you're old and hardcore. The yoof of today aren't all like that
> I do agree that OP's nav needs pointing out that it needs to be pretty good for Scotland on your own.

In reply to dking02:
> I'd say im fit enough to do it on my list is:

> 190mile bike ride (4 days)

> 35mile hike with 10kg pack (2days) x 2

> 20 mile 850m ascent 14 kg pack (3days)

> 1/2 years indoor climbing experience evrery week plus a climing leader/course certificate

> whats your opinion though

My opinion is that you're trolling.
However, I do back your adventurous decision.
However, your youthful arrogance is permeating and that could lead you to having a false sense of security.
Have a good trip.
Post edited at 22:37
 DaveHK 23 Jan 2017
> My opinion is that you're trolling.
> However, I do back your adventurous decision.
> However, your youthful arrogance is permeating and that could lead you to having a false sense of security.
> Have a good trip.

You seem to be torn between offering useful advice and being a bit nasty. If this is a troll it is of a strange and rather weak kind. If it is genuine, as it appears to be, then the OP deserves support and encouragement. What do you have to lose by taking it at face value and being nice?

To the OP I'd forget about the whole 4000ft thing and go for something closer to your base to maximise time on the hill. Arran is an excellent suggestion. The Galloway hills are not too far either. Be realistic about your abilities, particularly navigation and plan something appropriate to that, maybe with your grandad's help.
Post edited at 07:34
 Dave the Rave 23 Jan 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> You seem to be torn between offering useful advice and being a bit nasty. If this is a troll it is of a strange and rather weak kind. If it is genuine, as it appears to be, then the OP deserves support and encouragement. What do you have to lose by taking it at face value and being nice?
I did then he got stroppy.
> To the OP I'd forget about the whole 4000ft thing and go for something closer to your base to maximise time on the hill. Arran is an excellent suggestion. The Galloway hills are not too far either. Be realistic about your abilities, particularly navigation and plan something appropriate to that, maybe with your grandad's help.

fmck 23 Jan 2017
In reply to dking02:

As a suggestion you are perfectly situated for a trip to Arran. You are not far from the ferry terminal at Ardrossan to go over to Arran. About 20 minutes drive time serviced with buses to Ardrossan.
Arran has long been known as "Scotland in miniature" for good reason and mountain wise likewise. The ridges are some of the best in the UK and range from simple walking to V diff climbing to traverse. The hills don't quite reach 3000ft never mind 4000ft but it does not make the place any less a mountain environment. If you want to camp low I would suggest Glen Sannox which can be reached by bus from the ferry and is much better than Rosa. Nice camp spots and plenty of fire wood not too far from the bus stop. Cir Mhor is one of the most stunning mountains of Scotland and viewed from the Rosa side you will understand why it gained the nickname "The alp mountain"

Have a wee google and see for yourself.
 subtle 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Nbrain:

> Why on Earth are you going to Kilmarnock anyway?

That is a very good question, and one that needs an answer!
OP dking02 24 Jan 2017
In reply to dking02:

Arran sounds good i had looked at it so will check it out. Can anyone explain about the whole troll situation? I dont understand im here for a bit of advice?
 DaveHK 24 Jan 2017
In reply to dking02:
> Can anyone explain about the whole troll situation? I dont understand im here for a bit of advice?

Sometimes people post things pretending to be inexperienced to get a reaction or for a laugh (what underpants for the Eiger? etc). One of the posters thought that's what you had done. Don't worry, most of us knew what you were about. Have fun on your trip.
Post edited at 22:20
OP dking02 26 Jan 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Oh right get you now, no its on my to do list aswell
 mav 27 Jan 2017
In reply to dking02:
In the context of walking up a 4000 foot mountain, indoor climbing doesn't really count for much. You aren't going to be doing any rock-climbing, at least not from what you say. It's about stamina, and the average fourteen year old can walk for that length of time.

What's far more important is your ability to think, read the conditions, avoid difficulties and get your self safe if something happens. You can do courses (and they are often worthwhile) but experience counts for a lot. You gain that by getting out there, but preferably with other, more experienced people to guide you. (They shouldn't do all the thinking either). Now if you are on your own, it makes sense to start off with smaller things and build up. Which is why Arran or Arrochar are good ideas. Leave a route plan, including your escape options. Take a compass, map and know how to use them. And all of the other countless safety options too.

But - Kilmarnock? My wife is from there so I have to visit relations. I hope you have a similar reason because it is the only acceptable one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...