UKC

Buy a crag! only £1.5 million

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 23 Jan 2017
This notable pile includes an arts & crafts mansion with all the essentials such as wine cellar, billiards room, potting shed and 25ft square dining room. Only 9 bedrooms for the guests but it'll have to do.
Also a "Rich variety of fenestration mostly 2 or 3-light casements with transoms" whatever that means.

Extensive grounds including a ha-ha. Oh yes also a massive 200ft immaculate limestone crag unsullied by the hands of the mountaineering community as the current incumbents have banned climbing for many years.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55919692.html
 gav 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> Also a "Rich variety of fenestration mostly 2 or 3-light casements with transoms" whatever that means.

It has windows.
 Stu Tyrrell 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

The New BMC HQ!
 Coel Hellier 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Hmm, I'm not too keen on that shade of green, but I guess there would be room in the budget for a re-paint.
 Dr.S at work 23 Jan 2017
In reply to gav:

Do The BMC need new offices?
 Trangia 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

I think I've been there. IIRC when I walked Offa's Dyke in 2015 the path goes right through the grounds or along the boundary?
 FactorXXX 23 Jan 2017
In reply to gav:

It has windows.

Which version?
 GarethSL 23 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> It has windows.

> Which version?

From the colour I would say 95
 Kid Spatula 23 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Windows 1890. It came out a bit before it's time and nothing could run it.
 Michael Hood 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury: Quite a lot of house for your money compared with London although I suspect it costs a fair bit to heat and the upkeep. But surely somebody wants to escape the rat race and open up a new crag for climbing.

pasbury 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

You'd have known by the aforementioned 'special' shade of green they use everywhere!
pasbury 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

Sell your one bedroom flat in Cadogan Gardens and you'd have a hundred grand change to re-baize the billiard table.
In reply to pasbury:

Lovely house and spot although I reckon you'd be looking at another quarter million at least to bring it into the 21st century.

Im just checking behind the sofa now.....
 John_Hat 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Yes, but, as others have commented, that shade of green is revolting.....
 FactorXXX 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

Quite a lot of house for your money compared with London although I suspect it costs a fair bit to heat and the upkeep. But surely somebody wants to escape the rat race and open up a new crag for climbing.

Mick Fowler is selling his house for about £1.25M.
Maybe we could chip in to make up the difference and have the mother of all climbing huts.
 Misha 23 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:
A hut with a wine cellar sounds like just the ticket.

So this is on top of the Forbidden Wall? Think I prefer the crag view...
 d_b 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

A wine cellar is only worth having if it is stocked.

Unless you are thinking "underground bouldering wall".
In reply to pasbury:

"...potting shed and 25ft square dining room."

So a dining room a fraction larger than a snooker table? you can keep it thx
 Oceanrower 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> "...potting shed and 25ft square dining room."

> So a dining room a fraction larger than a snooker table? you can keep it thx

A fraction over 8 times the size of a snooker table by my maths.
 Misha 23 Jan 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:
I assume they could throw in a few bottles of bubbly for the £1.5m?
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

25 ft sq = 625 sq ft
 gethin_allen 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

> A fraction over 8 times the size of a snooker table by my maths.

I hope you're not a surveyor or a snooker umpire. A full size table is 12x6 (72 square foot)
 gethin_allen 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> 25 ft sq = 625 sq ft

Ah, I see the issue
 Oceanrower 23 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:
> I hope you're not a surveyor or a snooker umpire. A full size table is 12x6 (72 square foot)

Neither thanks, but I do know the difference between square foot and feet squared.
Post edited at 16:34
 Siward 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

The buyer would have to purchase the 2 off-lying cottages and 5 flates (by separate negotiation) otherwise would be lumbered with 7 sets of neighbours which one doesn't really want for this sort of money.

So say another million on top for the whole shebang.
Removed User 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

I'm not sure that the cliffs are part of the lot for sale. The screed refers to the 'cliff-top western boundary'.
 Michael Hood 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson:
Well I need to know, no point in me trying to crowdfund £1.5m if they're not

Actually, make that £1.49999m, I'll throw a tenner in myself.
Post edited at 19:02
 Misha 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

One needs quarters for one's servants, I suppose. Care for some port, old chap?
 Siward 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

Why yes. Think I've got some of the old 1924 in my deepest cellar...
pasbury 23 Jan 2017

Then why is the intransigence of the estate owners often cited as the reason why we can't climb on these splendid cliffs.
Where does the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust reserve begin?
 d_b 23 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> Then why is the intransigence of the estate owners often cited as the reason why we can't climb on these splendid cliffs.

Boiling oil!

pasbury 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

There's some rather good hooch in the potting shed don't you know.
Removed User 24 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> Then why is the intransigence of the estate owners often cited as the reason why we can't climb on these splendid cliffs.

> Where does the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust reserve begin?

All guidebooks since the 1970s have made clear that the ban on climbing on Pen Moel land (the Forbidden Wall and the smaller cliffs just downstream) is due both to the owners' wishes and to those of the GWT (supported by Natural England and its predecessors over the years).

As to your second question, my understanding has been that, though the GWT (now) own most of the Wintour's Leap land, they have only (but actively) managed the Pen Moel woodlands as part of the Reserve. Climbers' adherence to the ban has been a condition (variously formal and informal over the last 40 years) of access to the remainder of of the Wintour's crags.

I do not know how things stand now with regard to sale of the estate. Some land has already been sold and the remainder appears to be being parcelled. My inference from the phrase 'western cliff-top boundary' was that the wood and cliff land either had already been or was perhaps being subject to alternative arrangements.

What is certain is that, whoever finally gets (or has got) to own the Forbidden Wall, any forays onto it would cause a major crisis over access to Wintour's and Ban-y-gor (as if things were't difficult enough already). Please don't risk it.
pasbury 24 Jan 2017

Understood. It's not my intention to stir anything up!
 stp 25 Jan 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> a massive 200ft immaculate limestone crag

If it was any good surely someone would have climbed on it by now. Outright bans don't seem very effective because if you get caught the risk of them banning climbing outright isn't much of a disincentive.
 Michael Hood 25 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:
Someone causing or even selfishly risking the whole of Wintour's Leap (rather than just this bit at the end) to be banned would not be the most popular climber in the climbing community to put it mildly.
Post edited at 22:54
 bpmclimb 27 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:

> If it was any good surely someone would have climbed on it by now.

I don't think that necessarily follows; it certainly looks the part. The quality, however, is irrelevant, because it's very, very, banned - and climbers in the area accept that.
 bpmclimb 27 Jan 2017

> What is certain is that, whoever finally gets (or has got) to own the Forbidden Wall, any forays onto it would cause a major crisis over access to Wintour's and Ban-y-gor (as if things were't difficult enough already). Please don't risk it.

Ah well! It'll just have to be the old Italian cello then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...