UKC

Andermatt/Bivio Experience/Knowledge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PTatts 23 Jan 2017
Hi All,

Looking at trying to get away for a day touring trip in the middle of February. I had a rather disappointing (snow wise) new year in Chamonix and can only really justify the expense of a second trip if I'm going to find some good skiing, and would prefer to step away from the pistes. Since new year there was a dump in the alps but seems like it's wall to wall sunshine currently with no snow on the horizon. I've been checking out/recommended both Bivio and Andermatt (more Realp) really as good day touring venues, and both have useable huts at that time of year to spend a bit more time higher. So... My questions are:

1. What are people's experiences of these venues in terms of day touring?
2. Will these venues have decent snow cover away from the pistes if the current weather continues?
3. Anyone got any up to date info on the off piste conditions in these areas?

Thanks very much in advance, I appreciate it's a pretty vague request!

Paul
 SiWood 03 Feb 2017
In reply to PTatts:
I have no idea of current conditions in the alps but can highly recommend the ski touring around Andermatt/Realp and Oberalppass having spent something like the last 10 winters skiing and touring around there. That area is regarded as one of the ski touring capitals of Switzerland with lots of good day tours and summits.

The railway helps access Realp and Oberalp if you are based in Andermatt.

I have ski toured in that area throughout the season so Feb is not a bad time as glacial terrain is minimal. There are plenty of options from the Rottondo and Maigels huts or day tours from the valley or Andermatt lifts. There are some nice straightforward options off the back of the Gemstock.

As with any venue its not as good if snow conditions are crap but I still had lots of good days in less than ideal snow conditions.
Post edited at 10:04
 chris_B 06 Feb 2017
In reply to PTatts:

I've been to Andermatt for the past two weekends: the snow cover is good (good enough) above 2000m but a bit thin down to the valley. Last nights snowfall probably just about sorted that out though.

The weekend before I did two tours from Oberalpass (less than 5chf for a train ticket!), both times skiing back to Andermatt. e.g: https://www.strava.com/activities/848363046

I'd recommend staying in Andermatt or Hospental - Realp will be a bit dead in the evenings.

I'll be going again this coming weekend (I live in Switzerland)...send me a message if you want more info.
 RichardB 17 Feb 2017
In reply to PTatts:

Have toured out of Bivio as part of a guided Albula Alps trip. We also did day tours out of Bivio waiting for the avalanche conditions to settle. I can't remember exactly where we went but there were lost of huts, knowledgable locals, lift accessed day touring etc. There is a swiss 1:25000 map series for ski touring which shades the terrain over 30 degrees and has the more popular ski tours marked.

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...