UKC

Greenland for wimps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 23 Jan 2017
Many people think that places like Greenland are only for the big Boys and Girls. Well, a bunch of us went there last summer and lived, so it should be on everyone's tick list.

https://www.coldmountainkit.com/knowledge/articles/the-british-route-on-nal...
In reply to David Coley:

This is a really fun write-up - nicely self-depreciating, and very useful on how to deal with bear threats......Recommended.
OP David Coley 28 Jan 2017
In reply to steveprice.exmouth:

Thanks!
 Sean Kelly 10 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

It might get more hits David if posted as an article on the UKC site, rather than just Cold Mountain. there are quite a few articles already about climbing on Greenland from this year alone. Of course it helps if you have an epic!
 jeremyvanr 10 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Feel the love Dave
 EllieWoods 11 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Great write up Dave 😀 Unforgettable trip.
OP David Coley 14 Feb 2017
In reply to EllieWoods:

Thanks
 Mick Ward 14 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Great trip report!

> The flake is hollow, stuck to the rock by magic. I wrap the ab’ tat around it, thump it a few times and thread the ropes. There is a side of me, a very sick side, which likes the thought of what might happen next.

How well I know this feeling which, I'm sure, many of us have... though we rarely admit it.

Mick
 BusyLizzie 14 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Wonderful article. But you guys are very definitely Big Boys, despite what you say!!!
 ClimberEd 15 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Great article.

Having done a skiing version near Sisimiut a couple of years ago I wonder if it would be worth UKC putting together a 'destination logistics' guide for popular but esoteric destinations.
We had a pig of a time trying to find info before we went, and luckily everything worked out well, but a couple of key contacts in advance for logisitics - boats, snowmobiles and the like, and some accurate knowledge about what we could and couldn't expect to buy when we got there would have made the world of difference.
OP David Coley 16 Feb 2017
In reply to ClimberEd:

We split the organisational side amongst the group. One person wrote a kind of mini, summary, guide to the place. He might be willing to form that into an article, or mini-guide if asked I guess.
 Wil Treasure 13 Mar 2017
In reply to ClimberEd:

I compiled the "guide" that David mentioned.

I've put quite a bit of the information and some other thoughts on my blog, which also has a database of routes that I made so that others can add extra info on repeats. I made a short pdf guide for our team with some further information, I'll post that up once I can swap the pics out as they aren't mine to use.

http://gwirion.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/tasermiut-route-database.html

Wil
 Red Rover 14 Mar 2017
In reply to David Coley:

That's not a polar bear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...