UKC

Thermal cup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 25 Jan 2017
Looking for a thermal cup for in the car.

The sort that will fit in a cup holder, holds about a cups' worth of tea/coffee (300ml) and is less prone to spilling.

I've seen the life venture type ones, which are great size and cheap, but seem as though they will be tricky to drink out of while driving. The bog standard ones tend to come with a handle, which i'm less keen on as they get in the way more as my cup holder is down next to the handbrake. They also tend to be thermally inefficient, rattle around as they are trying to accommodate various cup holder sizes, and their lids tend not to be particularly helpful for sipping through.

So just wondering if anyone has any great bits of kit that fit the bill. Looking to spend no more than £20ish, though if it's Cotswold etc where can get BMC discount et al, then could go over a bit as that will compensate a bit.

Closest thing i've found is the Camelback one at £30 and looks like quite a bulky mechanism. http://shop.camelbak.com/forge-12oz-travel-mug/d/1293
 Dave B 25 Jan 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

I have this one. Not quite what I was looking for, but works well for a small cup. My friend has a slightly larger one, but I can't find it now...

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/19308/OXO-Good-Grips%C2%AE-Single-Serve-Liquiseal...
OP CharlieMack 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave B:

Looks pretty much exactly what i'm after!! And for a tenner.
Is it a toggle clicker? I.e. click it, and it stays open, then click again and it stays closed?
 Billymo 25 Jan 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

This is the best thing you could ever buy. I use it for both car travel and camping/climbing.

http://www.stanley-pmi.com/store/stanley/en_US/pd/productID.5059164300
 Dave B 25 Jan 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

yes. Toggle clicker.
 Billhook 25 Jan 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Isn't this as distracting as using a mobile phone?

Surely you can manage without a tea or coffee whilst you're driving?
OP CharlieMack 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Agree with your point of drinking hot coffee while driving being distracting. Perhaps not as much as a mobile, as you don't need to take your eyes off the road. But your concentration is shared between the tasks.

Generally, i'm using it where i've not quite finished my morning brew, before having to set off. So usually drink the remainder while waiting at lights, or sometimes on the motorway when it's clear and i'm unlikely to need to do anything other than maintain speed and steer.
Hence why i really don't like ones with handles, as when you go to put the cup away, it gets hooked and you need to glance down to see where you're putting it.

I would like to think i'm acting sensibly, but i can see how easy it could be to stray into a grey area where your driving is more compromised and could cause an accident. Interesting topic, you could argue that looking down to change the radio/air con is as distracting, albeit not tying up one of your hands to retake the wheel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...