UKC

Wharncliffe features on Portillo's Railway Journeys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Williams 25 Jan 2017
Don't know how accurately researched it is, but some might find this episode interesting as it has a section on early gritstone climbing at Wharncliffe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b088rpx4/great-british-railway-journey...
 kevin stephens 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

What a disturbing image when you open the link!
 Mike Hewitt 25 Jan 2017

Apparantly Wharnclffe used to be much more popular with climbers 100 or so years ago, I imagine because of the railway, now everyone can drive to Stanage, which is fine by me as we can now chill and wild camp at Wharncliffe in relative peace.
 Offwidth 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Mike Hewitt:

There were more listed routes at Wharncliffe in 1900 than in the 1989 guide! Somewhere someone may have a copy of a leaflet with them all described but it might well have been lost to history. It remains a good and very reliable beginner venue despite its reputation: quick drying, much better weather than most of the Peak and mainly good pro and good holds on the lower grade routes.
In reply to Offwidth:

yes, been a couple of times and very impressed. would prefer to take beginners there than stanage, less of a goldfish bowl feel, and no queues of people tapping their feet impatiently if they're struggling (or, for that matter, if i'm struggling...)
 kevin stephens 25 Jan 2017

Thanks, I really enjoyed that. Ashamed to say I've never climbed at Wharncliffe despite living in Grenoside, I must give it a go.
 DerwentDiluted 25 Jan 2017

I was brought up in Grenoside and learnt to climb at Wharncliffe as a keen youth, soloing mostly. Taught me not to fall off!
 TobyA 25 Jan 2017

That's fun, thanks for sharing it. Nice to see some one making a mod look tricky, makes us climbers of lower talent feel a bit better when we make severes look tricky!
OP Neil Williams 25 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:
Indeed, they did sort of hide the fact that the climber featured apparently soloed it while tied in...not that that would in all likelihood have been very difficult for him

To be fair to the programme it doesn't contain an awful lot of train geekery (not that I'm averse to that), it's more about interesting stuff around the UK with the trains connecting it together. Which is good, as so many people seem to default to foreign holidays these days and miss out on that kind of interesting stuff.

The American series on this week is also quite good.
Post edited at 21:36
 TobyA 26 Jan 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Thanks, I really enjoyed that. Ashamed to say I've never climbed at Wharncliffe despite living in Grenoside, I must give it a go.

What!? OK, its not the best view in the world, although it is an interesting one - but mate! Its on your doorstep! Lots of perfectly soloable stuff even for someone like me who only solos in the lower grades.
 deacondeacon 26 Jan 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Thanks, I really enjoyed that. Ashamed to say I've never climbed at Wharncliffe despite living in Grenoside, I must give it a go.

What? That's like never climbing on El Cap and living in Camp 4.

Wharncliffe has quality routes that you could walk to from your house. You should be ashamed of yourself
 Stu Tyrrell 26 Jan 2017
Does anyone know how old the real climber is, he looks really fit for his age?

Post edited at 13:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...