UKC

Sleeping in a Vauxhall Combo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tmawer 26 Jan 2017
Does anyone on here know whether the Vauxhall Combo vans are long enough to sleep comfortably in (i'm 6' tall). Also, does anyone know how difficult it would be to remove the wheelchair access equipment from said vehicle? Thanks.
 Billhook 26 Jan 2017
In reply to
I own one. I'm 5'10' and can just manage to stretch out in it. Mine has the. Passenger seat fold down and the bulkhead screen swings open. That gives you the ability to stretch out even more.

Can't comment on the rest of your query other than to say it's only bolted in so with a few spanners.............
 krikoman 26 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

I have a LWB Doblo (which I think is the same, no bulkhead and the rear seat fold up so it's easy for my at 5'10"

Don't know about wheelchair gear.
OP tmawer 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Thanks for that Dave.

I am unsure about whether the electrics/hydrolics may be problematic?
 angry pirate 26 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:
Me and a mate hired one to drive to the dolomites a while back and it was too short for two of us to lie in without going slightly foetal. I'm half an inch shy of 6'
For one person going on the diagonal you might have more luck.
Post edited at 17:07
OP tmawer 26 Jan 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

Thanks..... Think I may look at other options as would be good to sleep two.
 danm 26 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

I'm 5'10 and have loads of room. I fold the seats forward, and lay a piece of wood on top of the seats which butts against the end of the load floor. Works fine unless I'm carrying loads of kit.
 Murd 26 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

I have the crew van. I can slide the front seats forward to make plenty of room. I sleep on boulder mats if I'm on my own. I also made a simple sleeping platform which sleeps two with the seats shifted forward with loads of storage underneath, even manage to get two boldering mats tied up in the roof. Crew van is little more versatile than the standard panel van mind
 Thrudge 27 Jan 2017
Am I the only one who thinks "Sleeping in a Vauxhall Combo" sounds like a the title of a George Formby song?

GerM 27 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

I have a vauxhall combo (crew), sleep in it every now and again and about 1/2 an inch short of 6'. As others have suggested just about straight flat on the floor in the back, but tight, moving front seats forwards make things much better. It is easy to fashion a solution for ultimate stretched out length though, as seats are shared with the 3 door corsa so both front seats fold forward. This means if you create a raised floor area to sleep on in the back, you can have an arrangement to extend the sleeping platform by about a foot or more over the back of the folded forward front seat - acres of space!
 pec 27 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

Have you looked at the Peugeot Expert which is the same as the Citroen Jumpy/Dispatch and Fiat Scudo? They have a load space of over 7 feet long.
OP tmawer 27 Jan 2017
In reply to pec:

I currently have an ageing Scudo, which has been good, but just has two seats. I am wanting a lot from a single vehicle really as I want to use it for driving at work (about 500 miles per month) plus be able to carry 4 people and sleep in it occasionally. I will look at your suggestions. Thanks

lanky 28 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:
I had a combo for a few years, and slept in it a lot (I'm 6'3) though had to make the passenger seat flat.
 Timmd 28 Jan 2017
In reply to GerM:
> It is easy to fashion a solution for ultimate stretched out length though, as seats are shared with the 3 door corsa so both front seats fold forward. This means if you create a raised floor area to sleep on in the back, you can have an arrangement to extend the sleeping platform by about a foot or more over the back of the folded forward front seat - acres of space!

It strikes me that one could make a folding platform out of plywood, with pieces of metal or wood underneath the joins which could pivot round and be secured into place, or something similar to that, something made out of three sections which can make up a sleeping platform.
Post edited at 14:47
 Timmd 28 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

Thinking about a transit camper conversion I saw, six foot in mm is 1828mm, and below are the internal dimensions for different ford Vans.

https://www.jenningsmotorgroup.co.uk/newvans/ford/transit-van/transit-dimen...
OP tmawer 28 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I have the DIY skills of a penguin so hoping for a very simple solution. Wondering about an Amdro boot jump but need to check exactly which vehicles these fit.
 arch 28 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:
I've traveled in a fried out combi, I'm 6' 4" and I'm pretty muscley.

.......If I were you, i'd buy a VW transporter.
 pec 28 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

> I want to use it for driving at work (about 500 miles per month) plus be able to carry 4 people and sleep in it occasionally. I will look at your suggestions. Thanks >

Have you considered a 7 seat people carrier such as the Ford Galaxy, Peugeot 807 etc?
I've got a VW Sharan 7 seater, the rear 2 seats live in the garage giving me a 5 seater estate with an enormous boot and I can also remove the middle 3 seats to give a decent sized 2 seat van.
I've made a sleeping platform which I can install in a few minutes which is 6'6" long and the front seats rotate to face the back.
Some photos here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136995646@N07/albums/72157678916886925

Timmd 29 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

> I have the DIY skills of a penguin so hoping for a very simple solution. Wondering about an Amdro boot jump but need to check exactly which vehicles these fit.

Tsk, nobody is born being able to do stuff.

I provided the measurements because the bed I saw was width ways across the van, which has sparked an idea in my head of having a swb transit with a second row of seating added, which is possibly foldable downable so I could sleep on it and fit large things in the back too.
 pec 29 Jan 2017
In reply to tmawer:

> I have the DIY skills of a penguin so hoping for a very simple solution. Wondering about an Amdro boot jump but need to check exactly which vehicles these fit. >

If you do an image search for "micro campers", "MPV Campers", "camper conversion" etc it will bring up allsorts to give you an idea of what you want and then you could find a local joiner to make it for you.
When I was researching mine I came accross a joiner advertising himself who made ones to your design for about £400-£500 which is a fraction of an Amdro, though that wouldn't include the cushions, blinds and stove etc but you can just use a Thermarest and you must aready have a stove (the non pressurised alcohol stoves with the Amdro must take forever to cook anyway). You can get some foil bubble wrap and suction cups off ebay to make the blinds yourself.

OP tmawer 30 Jan 2017
In reply to pec:

Thanks... Good idea!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...