UKC

Please help save Beddgelert Forest campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ruffydd 27 Jan 2017
Many of you will have stayed at the Beddgelert Forest campsite at some point in your lives and enjoyed the location, the scenery and the midges

Last week, Forest Holidays (a partnership between a private equity firm and the Forestry Commission) submitted a planning application to redevelop the site into a timber house village with a consequential loss of 75% of the existing camping pitches. The expectation is that future applications will see the total removal of camping pitches as that's been the model at their other sites.

If you want to retain the availability of low cost, all-year-round, turn-up-and-stay accommodation in Beddgelert, please sign and share our petition at https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-beddgelert-forest-campsite

Thanks for reading.

David L.
llechwedd 27 Jan 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

As a local, I'm unlikely to ever use the Beddgelert campsite, but seeing this, reminded me I've some photos of the same campsite from 1951.
One of them is taken from the same point as the pic in your 38 degrees petition. If you're interested, I've just made copy of the 1951 shot with my 'phone, and submitted it to UKC, so it should be on my Gallery soon...
 Albert Tatlock 27 Jan 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

Have a like ,anything that reduces the profit and potential planning of the clown ( Mr Porter) that runs the Cae Du campsite in the village is recommended

Albert T
Gone for good 27 Jan 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

Signed!
ruffydd 27 Jan 2017
In reply to llechwedd:

Diolch. Its still awaiting approval. I took the one on 38 degrees this morning - beautiful day !

Albert Tatlock - LOL ! Mr Porter doesn't have any log cabins so this wont remove any of his business - if anything this will drive his business up - so sign the petition !

Thanks Wanderer - much appreciated.
 thlcr1 28 Jan 2017
In reply to ruffydd:
This was the first site I ever camped at, with my parents in the mid 60's when I was I think 8! It was that trip that started my love for mountain in general and Snowdonia in particular. Later it was the first site I ever camped at independently when I was in my mid teen's in I'd guess 74. Camped there many times since and still an enormously nostalgic place for me. Have signed the petition and forwarded it to some friends.

Lee
Post edited at 11:29
Moley 28 Jan 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

I think it was that campsite me, my wife and a friend camped at the first time we ever went up Snowdon, must be over 25 years ago.
Bizarrely it coincided with Beddgelert holding a "Wild West Weekend", the whole village was well into it. My mate and I got very drunk and my wife dragged us back to our tents before somebody lumped us one.
Happy and strange days. I'll sign it even though I'm never likely to use the campsite.
ruffydd 30 Jan 2017
In reply to thlcr1 and Moley:

Great stories ! The family who ran it from the 60's (I think) until 2000's(?) still live in the village and they are equally nostalgic. I guess it's been going since the 1930's so it will be the first experiences for loads of people !

Anyway, just fyi, Beddgelert Community Council objected unanimously to the proposal at this evening's meeting. The next stop is the Snowdonia National Park Planning and Access Committee meeting on 1-March. All objections have to be in by 10-Feb, so if you have signed the petition (thank you) but want to do more then please either email them or use this link to object: http://goo.gl/L5eYs5.

Thanks again for your support.
 Murderous_Crow 31 Jan 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

Petition signed, and objection submitted via your link.
 Elfyn Jones 31 Jan 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

The BMC Cymru North Wales area meeting is being held at The Belle Vue Hotel in Bangor on Thursday evening Feb 2nd - meeting details here http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3827
This development has already been highlighted as a topic for discussion and BMC members will be encouraged to response to the planning application, but it'd be great if someone with more information and knowledge about this development could be at the meeting to explain to members the impact and issues around this planning proposal.
If (as is highly likely) that the members present propose that the BMC formally objects to this development then the BMC will submit an objection on behalf of members.

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)

ruffydd 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Elfyn,

Apologies for the late reply - I've been travelling with work. Will try and work something out for tomorrow...

Regards,
David L.
 lordyosch 01 Feb 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

Signed.

The first campsite that my now wife and I stayed on together.
 digby 02 Feb 2017
In reply to ruffydd:

They did the same at their former campsite at Cropton, near Pickering in Yorkshire. I don't think they are very good at running campsites, or they are trying to get too much money out of them. There's much more money to be made with lodges.
In reply to ruffydd & Albert Tatlock:

What's wrong with the Cae Du site?

I've stayed there a couple of times and thought it was nice.

Simon Caldwell 02 Feb 2017
In reply to digby:

and the one near Arrochar, and Glentrool, and Glen Doll...
ruffydd 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Punter S Thompson:

> What's wrong with the Cae Du site?
You'd need to ask Albert - I've never stayed there (nor have any views on it)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...