UKC

Why no voting on UKC Wildlife photo gallery?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 29 Jan 2017

There must be some cracking pictures on the Wildlife gallery put without voting its quite a struggle to find the best ones. So how about introducing voting on it?

If anyone's got time on their hands to look for the really good ones (even their own) please post links on this thread
Post edited at 16:37
 Robert Durran 29 Jan 2017
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Shhh you'll get me into trouble for flaunting the rules!
In reply to James Rushforth: great photo but I would have missed it if searching the wildlife gallery

john arran 29 Jan 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

Yes, there was a cool shot of a grouse uploaded lately I would have liked to have voted on. Cant remember who's shot it was.

Mark Kemball 29 Jan 2017

I remember the debate on the forum about allowing wildlife shots. The argument went along the lines of "it's not climbing, so it shouldn't be on UKC"... I think that's why voting wasn't allowed. I think this is a reasonable compromise - this is primarily a climbing / mountaineering site. Lovely though those shots are, I would want the photograph of the week and top 10 to be climbing related.
 Robert Durran 29 Jan 2017

> Looks like you've been rumbled! It's been moved to the wildlife gallery and all votes evaporated.

Oops! Sorry! Though it's still up there at number three in the voting!

Actually it's a shame if good photos can't be voted on because they rapidly disappear down the pages and are easily missed. Maybe there should be votes but not allowed in the weekly top ten.

d_b 29 Jan 2017
In reply to James Rushforth:

I would be interested to know how you got that - i'm crap at that sort of thing.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 Jan 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:
Robert & Kevin: Ha ha, no worries! Rumbled indeed...

David: I'd spotted a bird of prey that often sat on the same telegraph pole on the Pass Giau. It was then a case of lying in wait until it took off. I've not got a proper wildlife setup (I'd love to get into it more though), so used a Nikon D810 with 80-400 and a 1.4x converter (shot taken at 540mm). Currently looking at selling a kidney to fund getting the Nikon 600mm F4.
Post edited at 12:11

Have a vote Rushy Ace photo!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Yay thanks Paul. Wildlife voting enabled it would seem Kevin...

Big thank you to UKC for reading and acting on comments and suggestions quickly and effectively
 Colin Moody 31 Jan 2017

I sent a link to Bryan Rains
www.wildaboutmull.co.uk

He reckons Long-legged Buzzard.
 Sean Kelly 05 Feb 2017

880 photos listed in the Wildlife gallery but quick maths has it closer to 150. So what's going on?
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> quick maths has it closer to 150. So what's going on?

36 pages of 24 photos + 16 photos on page 37 = 880

https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/index.html?nstart=864&category=24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...