UKC

April Mountaineering Partner and Ideas Required

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Maestro Mike 29 Jan 2017
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum so please bear with me.

I have 3 weeks holiday in April and I would like to do some mountaineering during that period. I would like to go to a continental destination, I am currently considering the Pyrenees.

I am very experienced in hiking and indoor climbing with the odd guided experiences in ice climbing and glacier trekking too. I can use an ice axe and crampons comfortably from my experiences winter walking in the nearby Cairngorms. I am looking to develop an interest in mountaineering, so I would like suggestions of some challenging yet enjoyable routes for someone with my limited experience in the technical aspects of mountaineering. I am looking for partners to join me, but if I can't find any I would be doing it solo so I need a route that I would be comfortable doing solo. I am not yet settled on the exact duration of my trip, but preferably around a week so that I have some time to chill and see the sights in Barcelona after my mountaineering exploits in the Pyrenees.

I was hoping to bag peaks such as Pico Aneto and Monte Perdido, am I out of my depth in aiming at soloing such routes in April or is this achievable given my limited experience of the more technical aspects of mountaineering?
How significant is the crevasse risk on Aneto Glacier and could I navigate this safely without having undertaken a course in crevasse navigation and rescue techniques and potentially soloing it across the Aneto Glacier?

Anyone interested in joining me, please get in touch on this forum also.

Cheers
 JJL 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Maestro Mike:

Hi Mike

Just replied to your e-mail, and then found this.

Whereabouts are you? Aberdeen has http://www.cairngormclub.org.uk/ Inverness has https://invernessmountaineering.club/

I think a partner would be the single biggest transformative thing that would help you at the moment. Trips are easy after that!

Anyway, yhm.

J

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...