UKC

Were you the other cyclist heading to Snittlegate today?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 29 Jan 2017
Today I headed up to the old West Riding of Yorkshire, to New Mill to be precise. I was trying to avoid the rain further south, but because of other matters intervening prior to setting off, and due to an accident blocking the M1 north bound, I did not arrive until late. I headed up from Wooldale to Totties to Bowshaw (whams) and finally past Hade Edge to Snittlegate. By the time I got there I was in cloud.I stopped to try to see if there was any view, but there was none.So I headed in the direction of Victoria, as the weather got worse with rain/hail and wind, and the darkness was complete. Just after the next crossroads, when I could hardly see anything, I passed another cyclist heading toward Snittlegate. We both said "Hi" and kept on. It just seemed surreal and strange that any local should be out then, when they could have been out earlier in the day.
Were you that person?

(I had to head back down earlier than I would have liked, but every time I head down from the Vic to New Mill, I still can't get over how much fun that road is.)
 cragtyke 30 Jan 2017
In reply to veteye:

It wasn't me, but it's a great area to ride and attracts a lot of riders, quiet roads and some great views and scenery, some great climbs as well, New Mill to the Vic is one I always enjoy, as it gains height fairly steadily. The Jackson Bridge Hill Climb has a strange addictive quality to it, despite the pain involved. The Tour of Yorkshire will be going up Dunford Rd from Holmfirth to Hade Edge on Stage 3 which may shake up some of the Strava times around the area.
 Toby_W 30 Jan 2017
In reply to veteye:

Is it the rules or Big Ring riding that says,

Riding in the rain makes you either bad ass or nails period!

Good job.

Cheers

toby
In reply to Toby_W:

> Is it the rules or Big Ring riding that says,

> Riding in the rain makes you either bad ass or nails period!

> Good job.

> Cheers

> toby

Not really - It just makes you wet.
 Toby_W 30 Jan 2017
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

and bad ass

Toby
 Toby_W 30 Jan 2017
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Then again maybe I've always misunderstood and it's referring to an affliction due to a soggy chammy?

Toby
abseil 30 Jan 2017
In reply to veteye:

> ....I passed another cyclist.... Were you that person?

No, I wasn't
OP veteye 02 Feb 2017
In reply to cragtyke:

Sometimes if I have just been cycling in the flatlands, when I go from New Mill to the Vic, the last left hand corner signals a change in mental gear, and the greater struggle to get up the last straight. It's the same corner which I came off of, coming down the hill, when I was 16years old, because the camber is the opposite way to what you would want, and as there were loose chippings after it had been re-tarmaced whilst we had been away on holiday. Of course I was wearing shorts, soon to wear encrusted gravel..
 Y Gribin 03 Feb 2017
In reply to veteye:

Shame you're not on Strava - you could do a Flyby !
Removed User 03 Feb 2017
In reply to veteye:

It wasn't me despite living in Holmfirth. Ran up Black Hill from Cartworth today. Lovely morning to be out. Bit knackered by time I got home. That I suppose.

Glad you enjoyed your bike ride. I can see some of route from here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...