UKC

"Spot the Location" Aerial Video Competition!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 30 Jan 2017
Morning All

Not exactly a climbing video, although quite a few crags feature, but here's a short Showreel vid I have cobbled together which may be of interest to some of you lovely people which I'm about to submit for a drone videography competition called #400ftBritain - basically a Best of Britain from the air. It required a lot of brutal and freezing early starts, especially over the Xmas/New Year break, when more well balanced folks are fast asleep, travelling to various locations <hint> mostly in the South West and South Wales to catch the sunrise in an attempt to get the best light.

As most of the featured locations or landmarks are quite well known I suspect you will recognise many. However if you fancy a challenge (and the mountain shots count as 1 location) there are 17 specific locations or landmarks so see how many you can identify from this unique perspective! If there is any interest in this "Spot the Location" competition, I'll put out a list of all 17 locations and landmarks this Friday at noon. The first to get all 17 wins a virtual pat on the back and rousing chorus of "For he/she's a jolly good fellow" from me...

Anyway if interested in viewing a quick 3 minute vid featuring some of the wonders of the UK then please use the following link:

youtube.com/watch?v=_yJsyHHw1b0&

All constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it will enliven a tea or lunch break up with a brew and biscuit and brighten up a grey, damp + dismal day!

Cheers

Dave

PS Please note most the film was shot very early or late to try and avoid disturbing anyone, the climbers + walkers were spoken to in advance and were very happy to be filmed and permission was granted for the odd location which required it!
 Doug 30 Jan 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

A nice relaxing start to the day, although a little 'southern-centric'
OP BALD EAGLE 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:

> A nice relaxing start to the day, although a little 'southern-centric'

Ha ha thanks for taking the time to post some feedback Doug and yep it is a wee bit 'southern-centric'! I only had a few weeks to film this and being Bristol-based whilst working, alas I did not have the time to venture further up North...
Cheers
Dave
 Doug 30 Jan 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

How much was new ? there were several sections I've seen before but don't remember what I think were Pen y Fan & Stonehenge? (& Avebury ?)
 Mal Grey 30 Jan 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nice.

Think I got all but the viaduct/aqueduct.

Stu Tyrrell 30 Jan 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I am not to happy that you used the one of me sun bathing in the grass!
 The Ivanator 30 Jan 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Nice little film (as ever).
The weird angle on the seastack between cheese and chalk has thrown me somewhat - is it North of the border and home to a classic VS?
In reply to Doug:

> How much was new ? there were several sections I've seen before but don't remember what I think were Pen y Fan & Stonehenge? (& Avebury ?)

Hi Doug 12 out of 17 locations/landmarks were newly filmed so with my rudimentary maths I guess that's about 70% is new footage!
Cheers
Dave
In reply to Mal Grey:
> Nice.

> Think I got all but the viaduct/aqueduct.

Good work Mal! I'll list all 17 in order on Friday...
Cheers
Dave

In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

> I am not to happy that you used the one of me sun bathing in the grass!

Ha ha which location was that then? The top of the sea stack?!
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Nice little film (as ever).

> The weird angle on the seastack between cheese and chalk has thrown me somewhat - is it North of the border and home to a classic VS?

Thanks Ivan and yup you are scalding hot! You can even see the Tyrolean if you look closely...
Cheers
Dave
 Stu Tyrrell 31 Jan 2017
OP BALD EAGLE 31 Jan 2017
 Bobling 31 Jan 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Think I'm there though this involves counting all the Brecon summits as one!
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Well done, Dave. Another cracker! It really is great !
 ericinbristol 01 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Fantastic! Gorgeous! Many thanks!
 tony 01 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

That's a lovely start to the day! And it's a great advert for some of the wonderful scenery we have in this wee island. More of Scotland would be even better!
 krikoman 01 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Blimey NSFW @ 1:25, you frightened the horses.
 elliptic 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Mal Grey:

> Think I got all but the viaduct/aqueduct.

That's probably going to be the biggest headscratcher for most people. I know exactly where it is but only from driving past it regularly (including this morning in fact) and it's not even that obvious from the road.
OP BALD EAGLE 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Bobling:

> Think I'm there though this involves counting all the Brecon summits as one!

Top spotting Bobling and indeed all the Brecon Summits, but not the waterfall , count as one! So have a virtual congratulatory pat on the back from me... Cheers Dave
In reply to I like climbing:

> Well done, Dave. Another cracker! It really is great !

Aaaw many thanks i like climbing and i like you very much... Cheers Dave
In reply to ericinbristol:

> Fantastic! Gorgeous! Many thanks!

Hey Eric thanks a million for you kind words and a very happy Wednesday to you! Cheers Dave
In reply to tony:

> That's a lovely start to the day! And it's a great advert for some of the wonderful scenery we have in this wee island. More of Scotland would be even better!

Thanks Tony and although there is one clip from Scotland, I would have loved to have had the time to head North of the border and film some more... Cheers Dave
In reply to elliptic:

> That's probably going to be the biggest headscratcher for most people. I know exactly where it is but only from driving past it regularly (including this morning in fact) and it's not even that obvious from the road.

Yep agreed elliptic and my better half and I thought the viaduct, the hill and the unusual view of the sea stack would probably be the most difficult to identify! Cheers Dave
 alan moore 02 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Loved that!
Quite stopped me in my tracks.
Made me feel a long way from home...
 Sean Kelly 02 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I like the figures all scattering on the summit of Pen y Fan as if being buzzed by some warplane!
 Stone Idle 02 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Great angles, sharp and beautifully lit. A great sequence, even if I did not know them all. Someone has a great big Tonka!
 Big Ger 02 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

#homesick
pasbury 02 Feb 2017
OP BALD EAGLE 03 Feb 2017
In reply to alan moore:

> Loved that!

> Quite stopped me in my tracks.

> Made me feel a long way from home...

Thanks a million Alan, glad you enjoyed my wee video and I hope it did not make you feel to homesick...
Cheers Dave
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I like the figures all scattering on the summit of Pen y Fan as if being buzzed by some warplane!

Ha ha my Phantom 4 is only tiny and weighs not much more than 1kg! Incidentally my better half and I spoke to the few people who were around the summit very early one morning. All were very interested, happy to be filmed and I kept well over 50m away... Cheers Dave
In reply to Stone Idle:

> Great angles, sharp and beautifully lit. A great sequence, even if I did not know them all. Someone has a great big Tonka!

Many thanks Stone Idle and yes the Giant did look very pleased with himself... Cheers Dave
In reply to Big Ger:

> #homesick

#hopeyouenjoyedmyweevideo
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> As most of the featured locations or landmarks are quite well known I suspect you will recognise many. However if you fancy a challenge (and the mountain shots count as 1 location) there are 17 specific locations or landmarks so see how many you can identify from this unique perspective! If there is any interest in this "Spot the Location" competition, I'll put out a list of all 17 locations and landmarks this Friday at noon. The first to get all 17 wins a virtual pat on the back and rousing chorus of "For he/she's a jolly good fellow" from me...

Ok a little late but here's the list of all 17 locations or landmarks in order:

1 - Glastonbury Tor
2 - Sgwyd Yr Eira waterfall
3 - Brecon Beacons including Corn Du, Pen y Fan and Cribin
4 - Stonehenge
5 - Brean Down
6 - Cerne Abbas Giant
7 - Haytor on Dartmoor
8 - Avon Gorge including the Suspension Bridge and SS Great Britain
9 - Pensford Viaduct
10 - Avebury Stone Circle
11 - Silbury Hill
12 - Uffington White Horse
13 - Wintours Leap in the Wye Valley
14 - Cheddar Gorge
15 - Old Man of Stoer
16 - Skeleton Ridge at the Needles, Isle of Wight
17 - Green Bridge of Wales in Pembroke

I guess that probably makes Bobling and Mal Grey the joint winners (though no proof was provided!) so well done chaps and have a congratulatory virtual pat on the back from me! For they are jolly good fellows...
Cheers
Dave

Doug 03 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

So only 13
OP BALD EAGLE 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Doug:

> So only 13

Well I'm guessing you are not from around these parts Doug so 13 out of 17 is still a pretty darn good effort! Have a virtual high five from me anyway...
 jon_gill1 04 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nice piece of footage Dave!makes me want to be out climbing!hope you are keeping well and perhaps we shall get out together this year although I shan't have quite so much time as we are expecting our first child in the next few weeks! Eeek!
 Big Ger 04 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> It's Big Ger!

Obviously, more of a man than you could ever aspire to being.
OP BALD EAGLE 05 Feb 2017
In reply to jon_gill1:

> Nice piece of footage Dave!makes me want to be out climbing!hope you are keeping well and perhaps we shall get out together this year although I shan't have quite so much time as we are expecting our first child in the next few weeks! Eeek!

Hey Jon many thanks mate and it would be great to finally team up for a clamber if possible! And a maa-hoosive congratulations to you and your good lady on the imminent arrival of a baby Gill how exciting for you both! Possibly the end of your climbing career for a year or 2.... Cheers Dave
 sg 05 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Saw the thread earlier in week but didn't get round to watching. Fabulous video as always - amazing what can be achieved now with a drone and some real skill.
Hope you win the comp.
OP BALD EAGLE 05 Feb 2017
In reply to sg:

> Saw the thread earlier in week but didn't get round to watching. Fabulous video as always - amazing what can be achieved now with a drone and some real skill.

> Hope you win the comp.

Thanks a million for taking the time to post your positive feedback sg as it is muchly appreciated!
Cheers
Dave
 Chris_Mellor 05 Feb 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Fabulous drone video with the time-lapse photography adding something extra. Love the people moving about on what I thought was a Brecon Beacon. The Low Man droning was fun too. Well done sir. Have a drone video 5 score.

OP BALD EAGLE 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> Fabulous drone video with the time-lapse photography adding something extra. Love the people moving about on what I thought was a Brecon Beacon. The Low Man droning was fun too. Well done sir. Have a drone video 5 score.

Many thanks eroica and glad you enjoyed my wee vid. The "Brecon Beacon" was indeed Pen y Fan, the highest point in South Wales, filmed very early in the morning! Cheers Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...