UKC

Silva exped 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 30 Jan 2017

Recently got one, lovely compass. However I've a couple of questions:

What is the function of the hole with "cross-wires" between the compass body and the magnifying glass?

Similarly, what is the function of the depression left of the direction of travel luminous mark?

How does one use the E and W declinations on the base plate?

On line searches for manuals have not answered my questions.

Photo of compass plus link to manual which does not answer my queries here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/531337/Silva-Expedition-4.html?page=3
Post edited at 13:13
 lithos 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

the hole i (IIRC) for drawing a circle on your map around a feature, eg a control on an orienteering course
OP Mark Kemball 30 Jan 2017
In reply to lithos:

Thanks.
 PM 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> Similarly, what is the function of the depression left of the direction of travel luminous mark?

This is where the radioactive sign goes on the military version. You can see it in the smaller picture in the link you sent.

> How does one use the E and W declinations on the base plate?

When taking a bearing, you can line the end of the needle up with a point (say, 2°W) on those declination scales then (if that was the right declination) your north-south lines on the bezel would be ready for the map.

For going map-to-bearing, can either again align the needle with the point on the scale, or line it up with the point then rotate the bezel over (without turning the entire compass) to line with the normal arrow.

I'm not doing the greatest job of explaining, best to experiment with it a bit! Hopefully you get the jist of it.

I never use it, as my inability to walk in a straight line is far more significant than the current declination.

OP Mark Kemball 31 Jan 2017
In reply to PM:

Thanks.
OP Mark Kemball 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Thanks for that link Martin - I'd spent quite some time unsuccessfully searching for it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...