UKC

the ungraceful climber society

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 30 Jan 2017
inspired by Misha's Slothful society but different.

I don't think I'm really slow but neither am I fast on winter routes (unless it's at my limit or well within my limits). However, whilst I do not really skids about the place and my footwork is decent, I would not describe my climbing style as graceful. Mostly efficient yes, but not poised and contained.
I am more of a grunt and curse, jam and wedge, udge and hump kind of climber.

I am not too ashamed of it and still reckon I deserve recognition for my dedication in winter. I like watching my climbing partners whom I see as definitely more graceful than I but I am no bumbly either despite my huffing up things. Sometimes it feels like I am falling up routes!

I thereby wish to invite you to join me in the ungraceful climber society so that we can celebrate together one's grim victory over difficulty, one's efficiency, one's sacrifice of one's dignity in the name of ticking the winter route of one's dream. Cheating not allowed: we may have no grace but we have principles!

Describe your style and feel free to illustrate it with messy testimonials.
Cheers
French Erick (French free, I do not condone!)
In reply to French Erick:

Your raw power and determination gets you up routes, the rest of us have to develop our footwork!!

Regards

Stuart

I started reading that as the ungrateful climber society !
In reply to French Erick: Not paying enough attention I read the title as "ungrateful". Probably shows the cynic in me...
 Misha 30 Jan 2017
I'm up for this. Back and footing, udging, squirming and liberal use of knees, that's what it's all about! Crypt Route, Great Overhanging Gully on Beinn Bhan, Route I on the Ben, Darth Vader, the list goes on... I'd like to give Winter Chimney a go when it's got some neve in it. Not good for keeping the waterproofs in decent nick but who cares? That's what seamgrip was invented for!
 colinakmc 30 Jan 2017

There's a chapter in Tom Patey's book "One Man's Mountsins" on exactly this. Can't lay my hands on it just now but as I recall it was Patel lampooning his own climbing style, or alleged lack of it. Very expressive and very funny.
 jonnie3430 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

I've considered adding tweed patches to my waterproofs for extra grip in the udge! Under the forearms and elbows for getting onto ledges, and inside knees to help me stay on them!
 Steve Perry 31 Jan 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

> I've considered adding tweed patches to my waterproofs for extra grip in the udge! Under the forearms and elbows for getting onto ledges, and inside knees to help me stay on them!

How about some knee pad crampons, they'd come in handy!

Tricadam 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Steve Perry:

It's amazing how shouting "Come on!" at your knees makes the Paramo grip better!
 Tricadam 31 Jan 2017

How about some photographic contributions?
 DaveHK 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

> How about some photographic contributions?

I'm sure I can find plenty of photo's of Erick climbing like a bag of spanners.
 Doug 31 Jan 2017
In reply to colinakmc:

I think that was the chapter "Apes or Ballerinas?". Unfortunately I can't find a copy on the web & my copy of the book is back in Scotland. Memory suggests that the ape was Patey & the British while the ballerina was Gaston Rebuffat & the French although I've climbed with many French climbers who tend to the primate end of the spectrum.
 ring ouzel 31 Jan 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

I have many Dave. None of Erick in Winter, they are all on rock but I guess that shows he is consistent in his (lack of) grace. Saw his proto-wall this weekend and I think I'll need to go there and train hard this spring to try and be as ungraceful as he is.

Looking forward to an ungraceful, thrutchy faff of a summer with much huffing and puffing and swearing in Scottish (me) and French (Erick).
 Tricadam 31 Jan 2017
 Neil Williams 31 Jan 2017

> Describe your style and feel free to illustrate it with messy testimonials.

My top-outs are best described as "beached whale".
 Pina 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

You'd be doing well to look graceful on that route though. It's a total grovel the whole way up.
OP French Erick 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

awesome! Classic Scottish knee! Rock climbing has knee bars, we have knee wedges, knee rests, knee placements and...crawling!
 Simon4 31 Jan 2017

Is membership of this society compatible with membership of the Cowardly Climbers Club? (CCC)
 Hat Dude 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Simon4:

> Is membership of this society compatible with membership of the Cowardly Climbers Club? (CCC)

Possibly; - I'm going to ask if they want reciprocal rights with my Thud and Blunder Climbing Club
 gavmac 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I can vouch for your lack of gracefulness.

I, on the other hand, am a model of aesthetic style, beauty and grace.

Come to think of it, you may be holding me back- just saying.
 rogerwebb 31 Jan 2017

> I am more of a grunt and curse, jam and wedge, udge and hump kind of climber.

Is there another way?
In reply to Simon4:

> Is membership of this society compatible with membership of the Cowardly Climbers Club? (CCC)

Compatible with all societies except aesthetic climbing ones!
I am a true coward at heart...that's why I try to go in remote coire so that only Dave will witness it. I pay him well enough (my company is special and is pay in its own right) to not shout it out and keep climbing with me!!
In reply to rogerwebb:

A man after the society's own heart...you're in!
 gavmac 31 Jan 2017
In reply to rogerwebb:

Guile, that's the word I've heard you use. The key skill of the winter climber.
 Steve Perry 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Looks like you're trying to get a helmet jam. This is where you lower down in a chimney and your head fits through the gap but your helmet doesn't. You can then have a semi rest on your chin strap and it doesn't count as doggin the route. Similar to the rucksack hooking, though that can be hellish in the wrong direction, I.e when trying to move upwards.
 Tricadam 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Steve Perry:

Aye! Nowt like a good helmet wedge! My favourite move is the chin rest: hooking yer chin on a nice icy ledge and shaking out while acquiring minor frostbite.

Muay Thai may be the art of fighting with 8 limbs, but you need at least 3 more than that on a proper winter route.
 Tricadam 31 Jan 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Let's see them, Dave! We need a competition for most ungraceful photo of the week.
 DaveHK 31 Jan 2017

> I pay him well enough (my company is special and is pay in its own right) to not shout it out and keep climbing with me!!

I only come for the banter.
OP French Erick 01 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

well...it's sure not for my graceful climbing style at any rate!
 Plungeman 01 Feb 2017
For photographic evidence, this picture (http://ecossemountains.blogspot.ch/2012_11_01_archive.html) shows me up an early season variation of Fiacaill Couloir. If Kevin had waited 5 minutes you'd have a nice shot of me on hand and knees, traversing under a bulge on my way back to the route proper
Post edited at 13:00
 Doug 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Plungeman:

maybe my PC but that links takes me to "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist. "
 rogerwebb 01 Feb 2017
In reply to gavmac:

> Guile, that's the word I've heard you use. The key skill of the winter climber.

Guile is largely about;

'Head, shoulders, knees and elbows two eyes (or not) two forearms a mouth and your nose head shoulders knees and elbows, knees and elbows'

baldie 01 Feb 2017
In reply to rogerwebb:

You forgot, half a bum cheek.
 rogerwebb 01 Feb 2017
In reply to baldie:

Substitute backside for nose!
 Timmd 02 Feb 2017
Scottish VIII is something I'd aspire to be able to climb.

I think if you climbed easier things, you could possibly go slowly enough to be graceful, but we're only here for limited time, so where's the point in doing that? Kinda serious.
Post edited at 00:52
OP French Erick 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Well, Blood Sweat and Frozen Tears (BSFT) isn't really an VIII, widely thought of as a classic VII,8. I was not grateful at all on that...very sketchy too and not my proudest moment all spiked up. I have climbed better and enjoyed myself more on a few VIIs though (but yet again, tech grades in NW are probably quite soft, though I'll fully claim the VII parts for a few!).

I used to think I'd never climb anything harder than V and would in time become a graceful climber. Turns out I was only partly unrealistic.
OP French Erick 02 Feb 2017
 DaveHK 02 Feb 2017
 Tricadam 02 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

"Shuffle along the tapering ledge, dry humping the wall like a teenager at a school disco."
 DaveHK 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Very good. Is that from an actual description?
 Tricadam 03 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

If only! Perhaps we should compile an alternative Scottish winter guidebook written more "descriptively".
 Misha 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Every other mixed route would have "squirm up the groove, swearing profusely and destroying your new waterproofs in the process".
 manwithacam 03 Feb 2017

I thoroughly like the manifesto and sentiment set out by Mr Wilson I presume on the first page of Cold Climbs, by quoting Norman Collie, which I shall pain you all by repeating in full.

And what joy, think ye, did they feel after the exceeding long and troublous (sic) ascent? After
Scrambling, slipping
Pulling, pushing
Lifting, gasping
Looking, hoping
Despairing, climbing
Holding on, falling off
Trying, puffing
Loosing, gathering
Talking, stepping
Grumbling, anathematising
Scraping, hacking
Bumping, jogging
Overturning, hunting
Straddling,
for know you that by these methods alone are the most divine mysteries of the Quest reached.

Gorgeous stuff.
 Timmd 03 Feb 2017

> I used to think I'd never climb anything harder than V and would in time become a graceful climber. Turns out I was only partly unrealistic.

One out of two is pretty good.
 Tricadam 08 Feb 2017
 DaveHK 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

We had some great ones on Saturday from Erick making steam train noises as he wedged different parts of himself in an off width to me spending much more time you'd expect for a VII lying down in the snow.
 rogerwebb 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

That looks brilliant, where is it?
 DaveHK 08 Feb 2017
 rogerwebb 08 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

I should have known that, I've done it!

Long time ago though, must be getting forgetful. That second picture says it all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...