UKC

Kefir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murderous_Crow 31 Jan 2017
Saw this on the BBC site this morning, and it re-piqued my interest in making kefir at home.

Its benefits are supposedly numerous; there is certainly mounting evidence of the importance of the gut microbiome in overall health.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38800977

Has anyone done this, any experiences (positive or negative), tips for where to buy, how to make etc?

Luke
 Ushuaia 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Murderous_Crow:

This will provide you with sufficient resource for this (info & buying cultures):
https://happykombucha.co.uk/
In reply to alexanderjwatts:

Thank you. The 'what is kefir' article explains a lot.

https://happykombucha.co.uk/pages/what-is-kefir

I'm mildly perplexed by the dislike on my OP, has someone had a negative experience with kefir? Is there something I'm missing?

Luke
 Solsbury 31 Jan 2017

We have a milk kefir culture (you can get water ones) Takes two mins to strain and refill with milk each morning, grows, so you can give it to mates and is a perfectly pleasant alternative to yogurt. I have, or have had a number of serious health issues-liver/cancer/immune system and whilst I would make no claims for kefir as part of a balanced diet blah, blah blah it is one of the things that I use to stay healthy.
Rich

much nicer than kombucha and less hassle than making yogurt.
 EddInaBox 31 Jan 2017

> I'm mildly perplexed by the dislike on my OP, has someone had a negative experience with kefir? Is there something I'm missing?

I think someone was looking forward to a really good debate about religious intolerance, and was disappointed when they clicked on your topic and started reading...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafir

In reply to EddInaBox:

Hahaha that made me grin.

...it's about the culture clash

skog 31 Jan 2017

Due to the apparent impossibility of getting Scandinavian Filmjölk in the UK, we went through a phase of growing our own - and tried a few other cultures.

I'm highly sceptical about the supposed health benefits, but it is very tasty!

I bought a starter variety pack (Buttermilk, Filmjölk, Keffir, Viili and Piimä), and we tried them all, though Filmjölk remains our strong favourite. You can buy these easily online; I think I found it on ebay.

In terms of how to grow it, while there's a lot of new-age nonsense around these products it isn't hard to find growing instructions. I worked from this:
http://www.savvyteasandherbs.com/viili-fil-mjolk-caspian-piima-and-buttermi...

Make sure you keep the temperature about right, and keep different types of culture apart so they don't cross-contaminate. I'm pretty sure we had a Filmjölk culture hijacked by Piimä at one point, possibly from spores in the fridge.

You can vary the end product quite a bit by using milks with different fat content, or adding in some cream; this is worth playing with a bit.

Note that you can freeze small amounts of any of these cultures for later use if you like - it lets you try other ones in the meantime, plus it's a good idea in case your main culture goes off, but they don't last forever in the freezer so you have to renew those 'backup' stocks too.

It's easy to do and good fun, but you do need to either eat or discard fairly large quantities, and there can also be the problem of what to do with your pet culture while you're away for a few days - you don't want it to get too old before starting the next batch, but you need to be around to deal with the new batch a bit until it's ready to put in the fridge.

We eventually got a bit bored and stopped, but it was worth doing for a while and I'll do it again some time.
 subtle 31 Jan 2017

havent tried it, thought about Kefir milk but went down the route of eating a large donner once a week instead, it keeps the bowel movement regular and provides enough gut bacteria to see me through
In reply to richard popp and skog:

Thank you - useful and informative stuff.

Subtle - not sure if that quite fits the bill of friendly bacteria!!

The Potato 31 Jan 2017

ive tried the water one, didnt do anything noticable for me and sadly im intolerant to milk so cant comment on that.
 john arran 31 Jan 2017
In reply to EddInaBox:

> I think someone was looking forward to a really good debate about religious intolerance, and was disappointed when they clicked on your topic and started reading...

I must admit the first image that entered my head when I read that someone was eating Kefir was that of a large cauldron atop a fire in the middle of a kitchen, with a face-painted African tribesman disappearing into the bubbling contents!

I know we're not living in the most tolerant of times right now but I still was surprised to think we'd descended to cannibalism!
 Šljiva 31 Jan 2017
In reply to john arran:

yes, I've been eating this since I was about five years old, when someone gave my mum the grains. It's only in the last year or so we actually realised what it was! Love it. Let me know if you need grains.
 girlymonkey 31 Jan 2017

I've never made it, but they drink it lots in Russia. I think it's horrible stuff! You can probably buy it in the Polish section of supermarkets if you want to try it.
In reply to Šljiva:

I've ordered a kit online which contains the grains, however if it all goes pear-shaped I wouldn't mind hijacking your kind offer to John, if you didn't mind?

Luke
 MonkeyPuzzle 31 Jan 2017

I help my gut biome with liberal amounts of kimchi. Kimchi noodles, kimchi dressing, cheese and kimchi sandwiches (my workmates adore me when it's cheese and kimchi sandwich day!) and kimchi veg burgers. I like kimchi.
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> I like kimchi.

So it seems

I've never had it - will have to try some. Sounds like it might be quite umami if you get me, a bit like soy sauce?
 sheelba 31 Jan 2017

A veritable smorgasbord of fermented milk drinks are popular in Kyrgyzstan, whose one uniting feature is that they are utterly disgusting. I managed to repeatedly order them accidently as I couldn't read the menus. Kumis is the most popular which is fermented horsemilk.

However one of my flatmates is obsessed with fermented food and drink, he seems to have something against fridges, and likes kefir. Given modern refrigeration technology I really don't see the point unless you have a particular digestive issue it could help with.
In reply to sheelba:

Thank you.
 MonkeyPuzzle 01 Feb 2017

It's not umami so much as salty, hot and tangy. Ginger, garlic, radish, cabbage and chilli. Toasted cheese and kimchi sandwiches are the best.
 Ann S 01 Feb 2017

Do you make your own kimchi? I've never tried it but would like to. Can you recommend UK supplier of authentic stuff?

MonkeyPuzzle 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Ann S:

Make it myself. It's dead easy, plus some of the bought stuff is pasteurised which kills all the good bacteria.

I used this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/homemade-vegan-kimchi-recipe.htm...

Sorry for the accidental hijack!
 Ann S 01 Feb 2017

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...