UKC

Lavaredo UT - qualification/readiness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stig 31 Jan 2017
For various reasons I've never been inspired to do UTMB but this one really appeals to me. I'm confused by the qualification process though...(I can't make much sense of their website!) what races do I need to do to qualify for it?

Ideally I'm aiming to do Lavaredo in 2018 - I'm planning to do Ultra tour of the Peak this August (60 miles). I notice they say on their site that this gives 2 points for UTMB. Does Laveredo have a similar qualification system?

On a related note - is this realistic from a physical perspective? I guess Lavaredo is a BIG step up from the Peak, but is it too big a step in one year?

Thanks for any advice
 liz j 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Stig:
You need to have 4 new ITRA points in one race to qualify, the grading system is a bit confusing at the moment because they are still using the old system alongside. The Ultra Tour of the Peak is 2 old, 4 new ITRA points so it will qualify you for Lavaredo.
I'm running Lavaredo in June, having completed the TDS last summer. I trained for the TDS by running around the Cotswolds and a couple of ultras in the Brecon Beacons. I had already done a tough 100 miler in 2015 and I think having done that one gave me the confidence that I could get distance. The first mountain climb at TDS whipped my arse but after that I got stronger despite the intense heat.
So, if you put in the training and the mountain miles, there is no reason why you shouldn't be successful at Lavaredo.
OP Stig 01 Feb 2017
In reply to liz j: thanks for that, very helpful. So does that mean I need to register with ITRA and log what I do? And do the qualification point 'keep' for a couple of years.

I'm planning to do London in 2018 so my mileage will be high (60-70) but obviously fairly flat. Not sure if that gives me enough time for the slower hill miles before June. Also I'm hankering after doing the Lakeland 50 although perhaps the 100 would give me more confidence for Lavaredo. Hmmm...

Also, do you use poles? I'm wondering whether to perhaps try them for UTPD but I guess you have to train with them which I'm not too keen on. It seems like it would be sensible for a Euro style ultra though.

Best of luck with Lavaredo... I'll be watching with interest. Do you have a blog?

liz j 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Stig:
The points go onto ITRA under your name automatically when the results are submitted, although it's really simple to register an account with them. You will have to wait until the results are out on for this though I believe. When you apply for Lavaredo in October, it will ask for a link to your ITRA page which you can do with or without an account. The points will be valid for 2019 as well.
I have never run with poles, but have used them before when carrying a big pack into climbs, so I borrowed a friend's pair for TDS, which I attached to the back of my pack 'just in case' (I nearly left them behind). I ended up getting them out before the second climb and they were a godsend on the ascents.
No blog I'm afraid!
Post edited at 09:37
iusedtoclimb 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Stig:

Stig

No its isn't a big step up in a year - all I would say is focus on hill climbing

I've not raced in Italy but done a couple of ultras in Pyrenees - only way I got round was hill reps and loads of them. The mountains are massive compared to the Peak. With a year you will be fine - go for it. If you get the training in it is all in the head.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...